1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion reigns over Manly Sea Eagles try record

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by dowdz, Jul 24, 2013.

1. dowdz

dowdz Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +853 / 5
    MANLY has written to the NRL demanding immediate intervention over an anomaly which will threaten Brett Stewart's looming attempt to become the Sea Eagles greatest-ever tryscorer.

Read more: http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/other-sports/confusion-reigns-over-manly-sea-eagles-try-record/story-e6frf56c-1226684538734#ixzz2ZwzP668r

2. Chip and Chase

Chip and Chase True Supporter Staff Member Administrator Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,282 / 44
    This has been going on for years. I think they have got buckleys chance of getting the records amended to reflect one club. As disappointing as it is for Beaver, Northern Eagles weren't Manly. They don't do it for any other merged club, so why should we be special ??

3. anthonyb1965

anthonyb1965 GO Manly Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Canberra
    Ratings:
    +504 / 15
    Because we are? :)

• Like Like x 1
  4. ManlyArmy

ManlyArmy Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +939 / 23
    Either way, he will most likely pass Menzies at 180 anyway.

5. Rambo1987

Rambo1987 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +212 / 2
    Yet all the Balmain supporters carry on like the West Tigers are Balmain.

6. castle eagle

castle eagle Well-Known Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

newcastle
    Ratings:
    +650 / 6
    and the papers say marshall will have played 201 games for the tigers by round 26 if he plays all games.

7. DUFFMAN

DUFFMAN Active Member

Ratings:
    +296 / 5
    Saint Merge won the grand final in 2010 and the media said that was the first time since 1979. So why do the get counted as one club when it suits

8. IQofalimabean

IQofalimabean Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    "Throughout the Northern Eagles debacle, Menzies always held a Manly-based contract." Well then technically he was playing for Manly.

9. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,793 / 122
    The statisticians have their own rules, but not many people really care about what they say. Every Manly fan knows Beaver is a one-club hero, so who cares what Middleton & co think? Menzies is a legend, they are not.

• Like Like x 1
  10. IQofalimabean

IQofalimabean Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +273 / 11
    Just another reason to deny the bears rejoining the competition, bring in Perth instead.

11. Dan

Dan Administrator Staff Member Administrator 2016 Tipping Competitor

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
    Ratings:
    +5,463 / 74
    This is just ****ed and so disrespectful to a man who should be paraded as an ambassador for the game. Ask him who he played for and let him decide

• Like Like x 2
  12. bones

bones Bones Knows Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +8,999 / 102
    Benji Marshall has only played for the Wests Tigers

:S
    [hr]
    Menzies never left to join another club and never played against Manly. That could be enough for them to change the records. I can't complain if they don't though, as I never followed the NE because I didn't consider them to be Manly.
    It's different to counting St George Illawarras premiership as St George's because for almost 20 years both St George and Illawarra were competing as separate clubs, effectively giving the merged club two shots at adding to their tally had either of those clubs won the title. Menzies was not doubling his chances of scoring tries.

• Like Like x 2
  13. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    Yeah I missed the bit about the nrl wanting to make changes and exemptions to keep Beaver in the nrl or was I just imaging that. I guess he never achieved as much as folau, sbw and bungi ever have, so not deemed worthy as well as being such a bad role model

• Like Like x 2
  14. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    They have all treated St George & StG-Ill as the one club.

Good to see the media trawling this site for stories too. We were talking about this issue on Sunday night. http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Snake-now-2nd-to-Beaver-for-tries and earlier this year http://www.silvertails.net/forum/Thread-Snake-s-record-attempt

15. HappilyManly

HappilyManly MWTS Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Freshwater
    Ratings:
    +11,498 / 254
    The simple and doable solution for Snake is to hurry up and score the 182 try :idea: :)

I don't believe that Beaver cares for statistics.
    He knows that he has always been a Manly Warringah contracted Player who had represented Sydney City, NSW, Australia and the Northern Eagles.

16. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Manly fans know what is true

17. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    I understand both sides of it really

Technically Northern Eagles was a new club, Beaver never changed clubs to play for them so I consider him a 1 club man, same as I regard Rod Wishart as a 1 club man as Illawarra moved into their merge

A lot of people here say they never watched the Northen Eagles because they weren't Manly, so it's a bit of 6 of one and half a dozen of the other

18. MissKate

MissKate Well-Known Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1,021 / 7
    but if you jumped ship to Aus superleague you can keep all your records............. hmm wonder who made up those rules

• Like Like x 1
  19. Clint

Clint . Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,654 / 14
    Not sure if this is exactly the same story as the link above. Apologies if it is.
    But good onya Brett. What a true gentleman and champion!! (but we already knew that)

http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=8695403

20. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +827 / 10
    [hr]
    Let's compare the same source denying Beaver's Manly record when it comes to the records of the Joint Venture Dragoons.

Lets see the media who trawl this forum for news take up that.