Confusion reigns over Manly Sea Eagles try record

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
I've been on about this stuff for years. It irks me when they put stats on when players break milestone and Beaver is left off the list of players to play most games with the one club.

The club itself needs to share some of the blame because we celebrated things like 1000 games, wins, etc and ignored the Northern Eagles, but IMO I am more than happy to "own" that part of our history (and the shame that goes with it) so players like Beaver, Tooves and Choc in particular are affored the honour of being one club players in the games official record books.

That article was textbook Dean Ritchie.

Right down to the Zorba and Arko quotes.

Just needed quotes from Ben Elias and/or Peter Wynn and it would have been fully complete.

I think the club and NRL should be able to work on the principle that the JV was a unique period, and that the fact a player like Beaver featured before, during and after the JV in an unbroken period, at least from a personal perspective his records should stand as a one-club effort.

Brendon Reeves and Albert Torrens are in the same boat. (Hoppa Snr played for us in 1999 and 2003, but had left for the Tigers during a period of the time between).

Sorry, but I am with the NRL on this one.

As far as I am concerned, I NEVER considered the Northern Eagles to be Manly. I always regarded it as a completely separate entity...in fact I saw it as a hideous aberration, which I resented bitterly for taking away my beloved Sea Eagles. I never followed the Northern Eagles, never watched or attended a single one of their games, or considered it to be my team in any way. And I watched with relish and great glee as the whole disgusting enterprise imploded and then collapsed in 2001.

Also, I remember Peter Peters and other Manly identities proclaiming that the Northern Eagles were "nothing to do with Manly" in the Sea Eagle News after the club returned to its true name and identity in 2003.

So sorry, Snake, but as far as I am concerned they can stick all records of the Northern Eagles where the sun does not shine. It was a period of time that caused me great unhappiness, took away for three years the team I have followed from when I was a small child, and it is something I do not wish to be reminded of. I certainly feel no desire to "own" the Northern Eagles or anything to do with them. Good riddance! :)

Nuttybott said:
Sorry, but I am with the NRL on this one.

As far as I am concerned, I NEVER considered the Northern Eagles to be Manly. I always regarded it as a completely separate entity...in fact I saw it as a hideous aberration, which I resented bitterly for taking away my beloved Sea Eagles. I never followed the Northern Eagles, never watched or attended a single one of their games, or considered it to be my team in any way. And I watched with relish and great glee as the whole disgusting enterprise imploded and then collapsed in 2001.

Also, I remember Peter Peters and other Manly identities proclaiming that the Northern Eagles were "nothing to do with Manly" in the Sea Eagle News after the club returned to its true name and identity in 2003.

So sorry, Snake, but as far as I am concerned they can stick all records of the Northern Eagles where the sun does not shine. It was a period of time that caused me great unhappiness, took away for three years the team I have followed from when I was a small child, and it is something I do not wish to be reminded of. I certainly feel no desire to "own" the Northern Eagles or anything to do with them. Good riddance! :)

They're my sentiments too. I never followed them as they weren't Manly in my eyes.
Interestingly, the names of the Northern Eagles players were not on the heritage jersey Manly released this year unless they also played for Manly. Can't have it both ways.

then other records that other teams/players are allowed to keep should be scrapped also. either works for all or none

Just a question for the guys that stopped following the Northern Eagles, how did you disengage yourself from wanting to watch Manly legends like Toovey and Menzies for those years ?

Kiwi Eagle said:
Just a question for the guys that stopped following the Northern Eagles, how did you disengage yourself from wanting to watch Manly legends like Toovey and Menzies for those years ?

The same way I stopped watching my favorite player of the time in Phil Blake, when he no longer played for Manly.
I did watch NE games on Foxtel from home but didn't go to a 'live' game for three years.

Kiwi Eagle said:

I simply chose to not watch the team and never went out of my way to find out their results.

BUT, I did still keep an interest on the Manly legends, in particular if they made rep sides still. I did choose to waiver from my stance once, to attend Tooves last match at Brookvale.

I went out of my way to call radio sports shows talkback & bag the NEs as a failure & push for Manly to go it alone again. I'm not ashamed at all I did that.

My passion definitely waned over those years and it didn't seem right but I still kept watching, mainly because I was a big league freak back then as well lol

I hope Manly get their way on this but i dont think they will.
Also, I'm pretty sure that if the Nthn Eagles had picked up a wooden spoon, we would all be saying Manly's record of no wooden spoons was still in tact.

The NRL tells us that Northern Eagles JV aren't Manly. So why is it announced today that a game between two other JV clubs will celebrate a game from 1963 all at the request of the NRL????!!!!

The NRL treats StG-Ill as St George but says Manly can't do that with the NEs.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Dragons-Support-NRL-50th-Anniversary-Request/80162

The St George Illawarra Dragons have today confirmed they will support the NRL’s request to relocate the Round 24 home game against the Wests Tigers to the Sydney Cricket Ground in support of the 50th Anniversary of the 1963 Grand Final.

The 3pm kick-off on Saturday, August 24 is 50 years to the day and time of the Dragons historic 8-3 victory over Wests in the 1963 Grand Final at the Sydney Cricket Ground, the scene of the famous “Gladiator” image with 1963 Captains Norm Provan and Arthur Summons that symbolises the game and is represented on the Telstra Premiership Trophy.

This seasons Round 24 clash was originally scheduled for WIN Jubilee Oval in Kogarah but upon request from the NRL and strong interest from TV Broadcaster, Fox Sports, the Dragons agreed to relocate the 3pm home game on Saturday, August 24 to the Sydney Cricket Ground to support the initiative and planned 50th Anniversary celebrations.

NRL CEO, Mr Dave Smith, said the Round 24 SCG clash would feature a spectacular tribute to one of the game’s most revered moments.

“This match will be a fantastic celebration for the whole game and one that every Rugby League fan will be invited to share in,” said Smith.

“The Gladiators image is such a special symbol of our game and to be able to mark that moment in our history exactly 50 years to the day at the same venue will be a wonderful event.

“I would especially like to thank the Dragons for allowing us to move this game to the SCG so we can provide a fitting tribute to this iconic moment in the game’s history.”

St George and Wests are both dead clubs. If Manly can't claim Northern Eagles records how can StG-Ill and Wests Tigers celebrate their 1963 game?

Kiwi Eagle said:

I retired with Cliffy at the end of 1999 as the bastardization of Manly is something that I did not want to witness.:(
I, and most of the regular attendees, were so angry at the mismanagement by the then Manly Board:mad:

Did go to Brookie to commemorate Beaver's 100th or 150th game sometime in 2000 and always wished the Boys the best. :angel:
So I have a solitary Northern Eagles attendance record.

Never watched RL, even SOO, whilst there was no Manly Warringah listed in the Programmes.

Didn't start attending till late 2007, and the rest is history, back to attending all the games wherever Manly plays:)

Who cares what Statisticians or anyone says about Beavers record. We all know it's 180 tries and 349 games.

Technically Middleton etc may be right, but I don't care, and since when do we as Manly fans give a flying eff what others think?

DUFFMAN said:
Chip and Chase said:
This has been going on for years. I think they have got buckleys chance of getting the records amended to reflect one club. As disappointing as it is for Beaver, Northern Eagles weren't Manly. They don't do it for any other merged club, so why should we be special ??

Saint Merge won the grand final in 2010 and the media said that was the first time since 1979. So why do the get counted as one club when it suits
If that's the case the Wests Tigers should be able to add Wests Magpies titles together with Balmain's and add then add on the 2005 title as well. We can then claim Norths 1921 and 1922 titles as we merged with them for a while.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6