• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
A very sad indictment on the security for this event. You would expect that there will be serious recriminations for those involved in organising the security.

Scioppione has been NSW Police Commissioner for less than a week and he already has his first crisis to deal with.

Personally I think the motorcades and massive security is complete overkill. It is by far the biggest security operation this country has seen for effectively 20 people.

So much for democracy, it just makes the HOGs look like complete wankers.

Watching the Bush cavalcade on the news last night I estimated that were about 25-30 vehicles involved.

Now I undertsand the need for 2 cars in front, 2 cars behind and a few motorcycle outriders. That seems reasonable to me. But what are the other 20 or so for, paramedics, doctors, would take up a couple probably, but there still seems an awful lot of other cars involved.

Anyone have any ideas who fillsl up the remaining cars?

No idea but there are plenty of Secret Service men and women with Bush - probably all armed and dangerous.

Funny about the Chaser stunt - newspaper polls are typically unrepresentative but 86% are saying that stunt was funny in the Herald poll on the matter.

I had a laugh, particularly when Osama emerged. But still, they were totally irresponsible in what is one of Australia's biggest events. I am glad to see that they have been charged. It will make the next lot of idiots think about not pulling something similar. All the same, because it is Chaser I expect their charges to drop to a non-event after APEC finishes. Anyone who can't see how important that nothing goes wrong on this watch is a complete fool.

Watching the Bush cavalcade on the news last night I estimated that were about 25-30 vehicles involved.

Now I undertsand the need for 2 cars in front, 2 cars behind and a few motorcycle outriders. That seems reasonable to me. But what are the other 20 or so for, paramedics, doctors, would take up a couple probably, but there still seems an awful lot of other cars involved.

Anyone have any ideas who fillsl up the remaining cars?

I grew up with these motorcades - they were a favourite of that filthy butcher Mugabe. the size of the motorcade is simply statement by the person of how important they think they are.

There is no truth to the rumour that it is also directly inverse to penis size.

Scipione and the police minister should resign immediately for the total breakdown of security. The chaser drive right up to the Intercontinental hotel where Bush is staying.

How easy would it have been for terrorists to do exaactly the same thing and actually blow someone up. Ok if it was bush but there would have been a lot of cops as well that would have been killed.

There are thousands of security and polcie and hundreds of millions of dollars spent on security yet the chaser could drive straight up to the hotel.

Senior police are an absolute joke.

Bush has decoys so the exact car he is in is hard to pinpoint.

When I was in DC I was awoken every single morning between 6 and 7 with his motorcade going past with sirens etc.

sheesh. over kill

Wouldn't it be easier to ferry him everywhere in a helicopter? (with a few attending decoys choppers)

In a forest of stone
underneath the corporate canopy
where the sun
rarely
filters
down
the ground
is not so soft
not so soft

they build buildings to house people
making money
or they build buildings to make money
off of housing people
it's true
like a lot of things are true
I am foraging for a phone booth on the forest floor
that is not so soft
I look up
it looks like the buildings are burning
but it's just the sun setting
the solar system calling an end
to another business day
eternally circling signally
the rythmic clicking on and off
of computers
the pulse
of the american machine
the pulse
that draws death dancing
out of anonymous side streets
you know
the ones that always get dumped on
and never get plowed
it draws death dancing
out of little countries
with funny languages
where the ground is getting harder
and it was
not
that
soft
before

those who call the shots
are never in the line of fire
why
where there's life for hire
out there
if a flag of truth were raised
we could watch every liar
rise to wave it
here
we learn america like a script
playwright
birthright
same thing
we bring
ourselves to the role
we're all rehearsing for the presidency
I always wanted to be
commander in chief
of my one woman army

but I can envision the mediocrity
of my finest hour
it's the failed america in me
it's the fear that lives
in a forest of stone
underneath the corporate canopy
where the sun
rarely
filters
down
and the ground
is not so soft

exactly what everyone in DC was saying

I had a laugh, particularly when Osama emerged. But still, they were totally irresponsible in what is one of Australia's biggest events. I am glad to see that they have been charged. It will make the next lot of idiots think about not pulling something similar. All the same, because it is Chaser I expect their charges to drop to a non-event after APEC finishes. Anyone who can't see how important that nothing goes wrong on this watch is a complete fool.

The only ones to be chargede should be the inept security gaurds. Maybe it will stop a lot of idiots being in charge of security next time :doh:

I think the Chaser thing points out how ridiculous and pompous the whole thing is anyway. These leaders puffed up with their own self importance parading around behind closed walls. For goodness sake it is Australia and the whole event is a piece of hyperbole. The Chaser satirises the ridiculous nature of the whole event. They should be given a slap on the wrist and sent home, not charged. Time some people took a careful look at themselves.

If I was a terrorist. I'd parade as the Chasers along George St..... So while everyone is laughing at them.....kapow!

I think the Chaser thing points out how ridiculous and pompous the whole thing is anyway. These leaders puffed up with their own self importance parading around behind closed walls. For goodness sake it is Australia and the whole event is a piece of hyperbole. The Chaser satirises the ridiculous nature of the whole event. They should be given a slap on the wrist and sent home, not charged. Time some people took a careful look at themselves.
I always thought of the heads of America, Russia and China (the most powerful nations on the planet) to be a bunch of nobodies. Honestly, it isn't a joke. Australia will get massive benefits from handling this event properly over the next decade. MHO anyway.

If I was a terrorist. I'd parade as the Chasers along George St..... So while everyone is laughing at them.....kapow!

I hope that was your version of satire because man flawed

[quote author=Canteen Worker]
I always thought of the heads of America, Russia and China (the most powerful nations on the planet) to be a bunch of nobodies. Honestly, it isn't a joke. Australia will get massive benefits from handling this event properly over the next decade. MHO anyway.

[/quote]

Twaddle. It gets held every year. I bet you can't even name where it was held last year without the benefit of google.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4