Change comp points system

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details

Mals

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Yes this is written after a Heart breaking Golden Point loss but surely the points system below is more equitable than what the NRL has in place now:-
* 4 points for a win in regulation time.
* 0 points for a loss in regulation time.
* 2 points for a draw after 10 mins of golden point.
* 3 points for golden point win.
* 1 point for a golden point loss.

Advantages of the above system - both teams get some reward when they can’t be split after 80 minutes of regulation time. 4 points is the maximum that can be awarded in a game no matter the outcome, so all competition games have equal weighting. Competition ladder and top 8 at the end of the season is more likely to be more reflective of the season rather than top 8 placings often separating teams by points differentials.

Thoughts?

I just don’t see the need for Golden anything until Finals ( SOO aside).

1 point for a draw each team.

Worked for 100 years of more prior to the current system , and also can work for you with that logjam of teams vying for positions 5-8 at the end of the year.
Yep I get that mate and I agree but the NRL don’t and have repeatedly said that golden point is here to stay. At least what I have proposed above is a fairer system of allocating competition points.

ive always thought it should be a point each for a draw after 80 with the teams playing off for 1 more point in golden point, and you'd then have to change a win to 3 points so there is the same number of points available for each game

I agree that a draw should be rewarded. each game worth 3 points, in the event of a draw , one point each and the golden point winner gets the extra point.

a different take on things....

hockey doesn't worry about the "same points allocated per game" and it works fine.

2 points win in regulation

if it is a draw at the end of regulation, .. 1 point each then it goes to overtime and the winner gets an extra point.

wins are always worth 2 but the losing team gets a point if scores are level after regulation time.

Having followed this system for years it just seems silly to me to change the points for a win depending on how it is won. It's not about having the same amount of points per game, it's always 2 points for a win and they throw the losers a point for keeping it level at full time.

works fine...some here will disagree (boofheads..lol)

Union has a bonus point for a big victory so it goes the other way I guess in rewarding a big win... so some wins are better than others... but again the points allocated aren't always equal.

Depends what you can get used to I guess.

ive always thought it should be a point each for a draw after 80 with the teams playing off for 1 more point in golden point, and you'd then have to change a win to 3 points so there is the same number of points available for each game
Under your system what happens after a draw when golden point finishes?

hockey doesn't worry about the "same points allocated per game" and it works fine.

if it is a draw at the end of regulation, .. 1 point each then it goes to overtime and the winner gets an extra point.

wins are always worth 2 but the losing team gets a point if scores are level after regulation time.

Having followed this system for years it just seems silly to me to change the points for a win depending on how it is won. It's not about having the same amount of points per game, it's always 2 points for a win and they throw the losers a point for keeping it level at full time.

Union has a bonus point for a big victory so it goes the other way I guess in rewarding a big win... so some wins are better than others... but again the points allocated aren't always equal.

Works well if you get a winner in overtime which I assume you do in Ice Hockey? However, in NRL golden point this is not assured.

Yep, one point for each team. Both came up with the same result, neither were capable of a win, so they shouldn't get the full points but zero points is equally unfair.
And as for golden point - even a soccer penalty shootout is fairer than that lottery.

I agree that a draw should be rewarded. each game worth 3 points, in the event of a draw , one point each and the golden point winner gets the extra point.
1.5 points for each team after a draw when golden point finishes? Think what i propose above makes more sense.

Rugby brought this system in to encourage attacking play (scoring 3 or more tries than your opponent earns a bonus point) and for a team losing to keep trying until the final whistle to earn a bonus point for losing within 7 points (a converted try in Union). They don’t use a golden point system. A draw is worth 2 points in Super Rugby.

Yes this is written after a Heart breaking Golden Point loss but surely the points system below is more equitable than what the NRL has in place now:-
* 4 points for a win in regulation time.
* 0 points for a loss in regulation time.
* 2 points for a draw after 10 mins of golden point.
* 3 points for golden point win.
* 1 point for a golden point loss.

Advantages of the above system - both teams get some reward when they can’t be split after 80 minutes of regulation time. 4 points is the maximum that can be awarded in a game no matter the outcome, so all competition games have equal weighting. Competition ladder and top 8 at the end of the season is more likely to be more reflective of the season rather than top 8 placings often separating teams by points differentials.

Thoughts?
Id just get rid of extra time. Both teams deserved to walk away with a point. If they insist on keeping extra time then yeah i dont mind your theory

Not one penalty blown in 8 minute of golden point last night, it has become a ruleless free for all. The charge down in the second period of DCE's attempt came from blokes 2m offside. Complete shambles.

Not one penalty blown in 8 minute of golden point last night, it has become a ruleless free for all. The charge down in the second period of DCE's attempt came from blokes 2m offside. Complete shambles.
Ridiculous isn’t it. Nit pick for 80 mins, blow penalties for not touching ball with your foot, giving harmless facials, etc. Golden point rolls around and they freeze up, whistle gets put away and they let anarchy reign. It’s so indicative of what is wrong with the officiating in the nrl, just a complete lack of consistency

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
8 6 2 66 14
7 6 1 54 14
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8