Cam Smith's "multiple threads- only one declared"

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
When I broke my neck in 1978 I too was angry, depressed and looking for someone to blame for the first couple of years. I've been in a wheelchair as a quadriplegic for 37 years.

In this game there is two paths you can choose, you either accept it or you die, yes it's as simple as that. Having to rely on others to do simple tasks that a 5 year old can do very easily gets frustrating but you just have to say **** it I can't do that anymore.

Over the years I've seen many guys move on, get married, have kids and live a very reasonable life but on the flip side I've seen too many young kids who died because they couldn't handle the situation, they didn't look after themselves and were lost to their families.

It's early days for Alex and I know the media report stuff out of context.

For all involved Alex, his family and Smith hopefully they could all get together shake hands, apologise or whatever.

Alex needs to move on, he can't have this eating away at him or he'll end up a very angry young man. He needs to look forward and concentrate on himself so he can get the best possible outcome from his rehab.

The whole situation is sad, I hope all parties will get together to achieve a positive outcome for all.

No he wouldn't. Exhibit A - Michael Jordan. Absolute c..t. Exhibit B - Lebron James. Much nicer, a lot less titles.

I still find it hard to find why he is channeling his anger at Smith though. Sure he argued the point with the ref which in hindsight was stupid considering the benefit of hindsight, but Smith didn't flip him on his head. It's like he needs something to focus his anger on and Smith is the easiest target available.
Alex clearly stated that he accepted Mclean did not mean to damage him by lifting him in an illegal tackle.
But, he is angry at Smith for repeatedly stating to the Refetee, and all the while Alex is being treated right next to him, that it's Alex's fault for ducking his head - that's why he is outraged :mad:

I agree with Kent, let the kid express his emotions. Smith can please himself with his double contracts and bruised ego , the program was not about him :cool:

It was obvious to everyone that the tackle hurt Alex. We didn't quite realise the ramifications immediately, but Smith and all Storm players would have known that he was not feigning an injury. To whinge about a penalty, and show no sympathy, is a disgrace that I can't forgive.

When I broke my neck in 1978 I too was angry, depressed and looking for someone to blame for the first couple of years. I've been in a wheelchair as a quadriplegic for 37 years.

In this game there is two paths you can choose, you either accept it or you die, yes it's as simple as that. Having to rely on others to do simple tasks that a 5 year old can do very easily gets frustrating but you just have to say **** it I can't do that anymore.

Over the years I've seen many guys move on, get married, have kids and live a very reasonable life but on the flip side I've seen too many young kids who died because they couldn't handle the situation, they didn't look after themselves and were lost to their families.

For all involved Alex, his family and Smith hopefully they could all get together shake hands, apologise or whatever.

Alex needs to move on, he can't have this eating away at him or he'll end up a very angry young man. He needs to look forward and concentrate on himself so he can get the best possible outcome from his rehab.

The whole situation is sad, I hope all parties will get together to achieve a positive outcome for all.

It sounds like that it wouldn't be a bad idea for Alex McKinnon to have a long heart to heart chat with someone like you Swoop. Someone who has unfortunately been through and is still going through what McKinnon is facing.

I can fully understand McKinnon being angry at the situation he has been put in. But even though I am no fan of Scam Smith, I just get the feeling that his anger is misdirected. It almost feels like he needs someone to be angry at and Smith has become the target of that anger.

It sounds like that it wouldn't be a bad idea for Alex McKinnon to have a long heart to heart chat with someone like you Swoop. Someone who has unfortunately been through and is still going through what McKinnon is facing.

I can fully understand McKinnon being angry at the situation he has been put in. But even though I am no fan of Scam Smith, I just get the feeling that his anger is misdirected. It almost feels like he needs someone to be angry at and Smith has become the target of that anger.

I've spoken to lots of young blokes in my position. There are guys in chairs that are call peer support officers who do speak to newly injured guys. Part of he rehab would include peer support and I hope he listens. ATM he'll be a very angry, frustrated kid but that's understandable. It takes 2 or 3 years to see how much movement he regains and during that period there'll be plenty of ups and downs.

Having a support family behind is a good thing. Some of the kids that I have seen die came from dysfunctional families and these blokes had very little support and were left lonely, isolated and depressed.

I've spoken to lots of young blokes in my position. There are guys in chairs that are call peer support officers who do speak to newly injured guys. Part of he rehab would include peer support and I hope he listens. ATM he'll be a very angry, frustrated kid but that's understandable. It takes 2 or 3 years to see how much movement he regains and during that period there'll be plenty of ups and downs.

Having a support family behind is a good thing. Some of the kids that I have seen die came from dysfunctional families and these blokes had very little support and were left lonely, isolated and depressed.
Appreciate that insight @swoop - understand its an incredibly tough thing to go through and those that haven't like myself can only assume things that, for all intents and purposes, are probably way off the mark, so thanks for the honesty.

This is my read only, but I think some people have decided 1 + 1 = 3

All McKinnon has said is he is disgusted by Smiths actions, I did not read that as Smith being the focal point of his dismay. Infact he seems to be taking his predicament in the best way he can, he did not wallow in "woe is me" during the interview - rather he showed intent to overcome.

This man is allowed an opinion of Smith, FFS most contributors here have opinions on most matters, 99% of which they haven't the faintest clue. Allow the man his opinion and feelings - I do not see it as necessary for us to decide he should "move on".

My media view of McKinnon is he is a decent young guy, one that would likely forgive Smith if he (Smith) was big enough to extend the figurative olive leaf. Hindsight says Smith acted the goose, I have done that in my life as have most if not all of you. I was taught to take responsibility for my actions, to remedy situations where I was the goose - Smith can end this and do so privately.

Last edited:

well said swoop,I have only met you once years ago mate,and you are a top bloke to boot cheers on your post

This man is allowed an opinion of Smith, FFS most contributors here have opinions on most matters, 99% of which they haven't the faintest clue. Allow the man his opinion and feelings - I do not see it as necessary for us to decide he should "move on".

Actually I think your comment there about 'move on' is an interesting one. It's easy for a lot of people to say this. And unless you have been through something similar (and just as an aside @swoop your opinions and insights are extremely interesting and I have been most intrigued reading them and you obviously have a very rare insight into this), it is very hard to pass judgment on what he should or shouldn't do.

I know a lot of us have had enough of the whole Brett Stewart saga. But I remember some of my friends (after the 2011 GF) saying that Brett simply needed to 'move on' and 'get over it', which is easy to say when it's not you in court, or it's not you that has been put in a wheelchair.

It was obvious to everyone that the tackle hurt Alex. We didn't quite realise the ramifications immediately, but Smith and all Storm players would have known that he was not feigning an injury. To whinge about a penalty, and show no sympathy, is a disgrace that I can't forgive.

The telling point is Smith did the arguing TEN minutes after the incident, and after McKinnon was carried off with about a dozen people / doctors / paramedics involved.

Surely at that stage they all knew this was very very serious.

He was possibly right, had Alex not ducked his head he might not have been as badly hurt, but the remonstrating about it after such a serious incident was pretty ugly.

It was a good story and the shining light was how strong his girlfriend is, what a woman and how lucky is he to have her.

Sadly I think he was either naive or just plain set up by 60 Minutes, and the rest now is history.

I haven't watched 60 minutes for maybe a decade, I find it a very biased show, they always slant their story's to suit the hungry hordes.

As for Smith, I imagine he would have a few demons going around after this, personally I'm not a fan of his but I do think 60 minutes on this occasion has done a fair hatchet job!!

It is terrible and to be honest, the players association should wear some of the blame for how their injured players are handled once their career is over. They sort the insurance (I think) and if the cover falls short for serious injuries, they need to have a good look at something better. There is more money in the game now so this should be well covered.

As far as legalities go, this is a pretty old smh article but covers it pretty well. Some classic names in there too!

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/04/24/1019441264796.html
An interesting article that popped up on the side of the article you posted above:
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2002/04/28/1019441327049.html
Des running onto the field to organize the teams attack, as first-division coach.

Is this guy for real? On a night where the Storm wound the clock back to the days of Andre the Giant and Hulk Hogan and proceeded to wrestle the life out of the Sharks, he has the gall to be pious on the shoulder charging that happened over the weekend?

What a tosser.

As I said in an earlier post, Captain drizzle ranks as one of the dirtiest players to ever pull on a boot. This is the guy that epitomised the wrestle, grapple tackles and all the illegal tactics that Bellyache had the drizzle doing to win.

They talk about this guy as an immortal of the future and yet hes remembered for dodgy play and being part of a cheating culture that was protected by news limited for years.

I live for the day when a player finally sorts him out on the field. I have zilch respect for him and that the Alex McKinnon issue and he handled that on the field that night will not be forgotten!

As I said in an earlier post, Captain drizzle ranks as one of the dirtiest players to ever pull on a boot. This is the guy that epitomised the wrestle, grapple tackles and all the illegal tactics that Bellyache had the drizzle doing to win.
They talk about this guy as an immortal of the future and yet hes remembered for dodgy play and being part of a cheating culture that was protected by news limited for years.

I live for the day when a player finally sorts him out on the field. I have zilch respect for him and that the Alex McKinnon issue and he handled that on the field that night will not be forgotten!
I couldn't agree more, he's the sleeziest bastard ever to lace on a boot, he's gotten away with murder his whole career and he's got the audacity to pass judgement on others ?

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
8 7 1 109 16
8 7 1 56 16
8 6 2 66 14
9 6 3 57 14
9 5 4 -14 12
10 5 4 31 11
9 5 4 95 10
9 5 4 42 10
8 4 4 25 10