1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brett taking action against news ?

Discussion in 'Rugby League Forum' started by Kiwi Eagle, Oct 3, 2010.

1. Kiwi Eagle

Kiwi Eagle Moderator Staff Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,425 / 31
    Just came across this inside another article

TEWART KEEN TO MOVE ON

BRETT STEWART says he will consider becoming the face of league again - if he is offered the opportunity. ''I'd definitely think about it,'' he said. ''I'd have a long hard think. It's not something I asked for originally, but I'd cross that bridge if I come to it.'' Right now he is keen to right some of the wrongs. Stewart is facing a hefty pay day if his defamation case settles against News Limited. He had to wear a lot from sections of the media - including a front-page News Limited report that screamed he was ''too drunk to remember'' any of the events of the night - something that was totally incorrect. I spent half an hour with Stewart and his girlfriend, Jaime Baker, on Thursday and be sure they want justice when it comes to the way his story was reported. ''Yeah, some of the stuff that was published, I don't know where they get it from and I can't blame the public for what the media write or what was said. Around Manly it was all right. Quite a lot of people, they stayed loyal there. Anywhere else they seem to hate us.'' What Stewart struggled with was the knowing looks he got from people walking the street. ''In the past I'd think they'd be walking with their kids and they'd be pointing at me because I was Brett Stewart or whatever, but after these allegations when people were pointing or talking it was sort of paranoia I suppose … do they believe what they are reading? I did not have that problem before the allegations.'' Right now a holiday is on his mind. ''I'm looking forward to relaxing for a couple of months,'' he said.

2. endzone

endzone Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Zorba said on 2ky this morning that it is far from finished , so hopefully the club will do something.

3. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    Yeah I saw that and then saw he wrote it
    hope it is true and he succeeds

4. WAMF

WAMF Well-Known Member

Perth
    Ratings:
    +408 / 0
    Zorba mentioned that whilst Brett and his family are looking forward to moving on, on the question of compensation/legal costs being returned to Stewart, he said that this was not the end of the story and there is more to come.
    Take from that what you will but messrs Kent, Masoud, Magnay, Wilson and co will have plenty of explaining to do if they want to avoid a financial settlement.
    I hope Brett takes these gutter trash journos for a motza. Then we might just start seeing a little bit of truth in NRL reporting.
    Actually holding journalists to account (for a change) on what they report will be a win for everyone bar the media outlets.

5. G and R

G and R New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    This may explain why Brett has not received any apologies from any of the journo's.

6. SeaEagleRock8

SeaEagleRock8 Sea Eagle Lach Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +6,795 / 122
    I found kiwi's article at:

http://www.theage.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/ibrahim-ready-to-roar-on-roosters-20101002-161y9.html

First I've heard of a defamation case, but that would be so good to see. Force the bastards to print a front page retraction.

7. Utility Player

Utility Player Well-Known Member

Lismore
    Ratings:
    +456 / 4
    I thought Queen bitch Wilson might have put at least a paragraph in her Bec & Buzz Telegraph pages but not a thing from the mole.

8. jbb/james

jbb/james Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +885 / 21
    maybe they are all under legal advice to say nothing. Sick em brett

9. eggson

eggson Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +239 / 2
    Noticed the article was from Weidler/SMH.  Not sure how true it will be, especially since Magnay wrote for SMH too (right?).  But i guess if the majority were from News and that's where the worst 'reports' were from...

10. Mark from Brisbane

Mark from Brisbane Living the dream Premium Member

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +12,744 / 257
    They would be James....I can smell a huge defamation case coming.

And I agree "sick em"...bastards deserve everything they get.

11. Jethro

Jethro This space is for rent Staff Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +1,897 / 7
    Didn't Brett's Dad Barry hint to DSM5 during a conversation a couple of weeks ago that something like this was on the cards?

12. brookiegreg

brookiegreg Active Member

Ratings:
    +66 / 0
    Would be interesting if such a defamation case goes ahead - no shortage of source material for the lawyers and might be one of the more high profile cases in recent years.....

But would not be so good if such a case distracts Brett (or Manly team) from thorough preparations for the 2011 footy season

Yes SER8 force em to print front page retraction AND pay substantial compensation for damage to reputation, loss of sponsorship earnings etc etc

13. fLIP

fLIP UFO Hunter

Brisbane
    Ratings:
    +790 / 15
    Didn't Brett's Dad Barry hint to DSM5 during a conversation a couple of weeks ago that something like this was on the cards?
    [/quote]

He said Brett father was non too pleased with the NRL and David Gallop in particular. I don't recall anything to do with lawsuits though.

14. Berkeley_Eagle

Berkeley_Eagle Current Status: 24/7 Manly Fan 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +2,115 / 14
    [/quote]

He said Brett father was non too pleased with the NRL and David Gallop in particular. I don't recall anything to do with lawsuits though.
    [/quote]

There is definately a case I reckon, we are all witnesses here

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,338 / 60
    Go Brett!!!!

16. Eagle Bug

Eagle Bug New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    If it were not for certain statements in a certain newspaper the case would never gone as far as it did........millions, several millions is the only just outcome here as well as the hunting down and destruction of a certain News Limited plant in the NRL

When will we be rid of all vestiges of this gutter corrupt organisation.....???

17. Brissie Kid

Brissie Kid Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +828 / 10
    Whole heartedly agree with every comment here. I'm sure Zorba not only said this morning this matter was far from over, but that the outcome being sought will be to the benefit of all high profile people when allegations are made.

18. zzz

zzz Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    This is good news, and I'm sure he will have a lot of support from other players, not only from Manly.  Some may think this could damage the game, but in my opinion it's necessary.  It's not fair that league players are such an easy target for the media, and the NRL need to be sent a clear message that they should be more supportive of players.  I hope any legal case takes aim at Gallop and the journalist scum.  Lets see what it's like for them when the shoe's on the other foot

19. manlywarringah

manlywarringah Well-Known Member Premium Member 2016 Tipping Competitor

Ratings:
    +889 / 27
    If anyone has foxtel, i just noticed that they are using Rebecca Wilson as part of their swimming coverage.

I turned over that fast i didn't hear a word she said. Thank god channel 10 are doing the swimming.

I emailed foxtel and voiced my disgust at them using her.

enquiries@foxtel.com.au :mad:

20. mickqld

mickqld Sack Greenslime 2016 Tipping Competitor

Gold Coast
    Ratings:
    +3,744 / 57
    Wouldn't piss on that bitch if she was on fire.