Ben Barba suspended indefinitely

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Sick of people bringing up the race thing.
Laurie Daley being the latest.
Last time I checked alcoholism, gambling and mental health doesn't discriminate be it if you're white, black, brown, yellow or purple and white spotted.
It shouldn't matter if he is indigenous just sort him out.

I think we've missed the most important element of this;

Does the Dogs paying for his treatment now come under the Salary Cap?

This thread came back a lot quicker than Ben will.

On the topic of defamation, in media law, repeating a published defamation is the same as being the originator. Otherwise it's just open slather, or should I say, open slander BOOM CHINK.

I feel for barber's situation and the pressures of fame and huge expectation (i wish they were my problems) but am happy to think of des's and greenturd's second season coming in a solid ninth.

Is it fair to see hes not the "black sheep" of the doggies (not racial) but in Barba Black Sheep have you any wool??

Not sure if its been noted already, im having some trouble viewing the later pages of this thread, but http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/canterbury-bulldogs-star-ben-barba-goes-off-the-rails-and-joins-the-epic-bender-crew/story-e6frexnr-1226585460804

The Epic Bender Crew. Seriously, how dumb are some young people these days? Bullfrog Moore would be turning in his grave

Lord Eagleton said:
Not sure if its been noted already, im having some trouble viewing the later pages of this thread, but http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/canterbury-bulldogs-star-ben-barba-goes-off-the-rails-and-joins-the-epic-bender-crew/story-e6frexnr-1226585460804

The Epic Bender Crew. Seriously, how dumb are some young people these days? Bullfrog Moore would be turning in his grave

Hopefully.

"epic" bender crew. Two years ago they would have been called the "random" bender crew. In two years there will be another zeitgeist term used by young jerks.

Shoe1 said:
"epic" bender crew. Two years ago they would have been called the "random" bender crew. In two years there will be another zeitgeist term used by young jerks.

The EBC. Maybe we can call our traveling supporters group the MWTSEBC.

I understand that throughout this ordeal, Ben has received wonderful support from his siblings, sister Ali and brother Tony.

mozgrame said:
A sober Ben Barba is a very nice bloke. With a few squirts in him he turns into a big headed fool, which is a real shame. He has talent...but he sure isn't a Snake or Slater. "IF" he assaulted his ex, I'd be happy to see him thrown out of the NRL. If it is a gambling problem...get him some help, and get on with the season.

i actually think he is riGht up there with snake and slater!!

lsz said:
Would suggest all of mental illness could be viewed as puzzling

very true...and very sad

bones said:
Shoe1 said:

I can just see Mark Tramby with a massive MWTSEBC ghetto font back tatt!:p

eagles2win said:
Sick of people bringing up the race thing.
Laurie Daley being the latest.
Last time I checked alcoholism, gambling and mental health doesn't discriminate be it if you're white, black, brown, yellow or purple and white spotted.
It shouldn't matter if he is indigenous just sort him out.

Well, you did ask...

The main decision in relation to the specific considerations when sentencing Aboriginal offenders is R v Stanley Edward Fernando.

1 Fernando was a sentencing decision by Wood J sitting in the Supreme Court. Fernando was sentenced for Malicious Wounding. The victim was his de facto partner. The offence had occurred after a period where both the victim and the defendant had consumed large amounts of alcohol. Fernando was forty-eight years old at the time of sentencing. He normally lived on an Aboriginal Reserve at Walgett. He had an extensive criminal record. There were numerous decisions prior to Fernando dealing with sentencing principles relating to Aboriginal offenders.

2 In Fernando, when addressing the difficult problem of sentencing the defendant, Wood J distilled the following principles from these cases and other cases in relation to the sentencing of Aboriginal offenders:

(A) The same sentencing principles are to be applied in every case irrespective of the identity of a particular offender or his membership of an ethnic or other group but that does not mean that the sentencing court should ignore those facts which exist only by reason of the offenders' membership of such a group.

(B) The relevance of the aboriginality of an offender is not necessarily to mitigate punishment but rather to explain or throw light on the particular offence and the circumstances of the offender.

(C) It is proper for the court to recognise that the problems of alcohol abuse and violence which to a very significant degree go hand in hand within aboriginal communities are very real ones and their cure requires more subtle remedies than the criminal law can provide by way of imprisonment.

(D) Notwithstanding the absence of any real body of evidence demonstrating that the imposition of significant terms of imprisonment provides any effective deterrent in either discouraging the abuse of alcohol by members of the aboriginal society or their resort to violence when heavily affected by it, the courts must be very careful in the pursuit of their sentencing policies to not thereby deprive Aboriginals of the protection
which it is assumed punishment provides. In short, a belief cannot be allowed to go about that serious violence by drunken persons within their society are treated by the law as occurrences of little moment.

(E) While drunkenness is not normally an excuse or mitigating factor, where the abuse of alcohol by the person standing for sentence reflects the socio-economic circumstances and environment in which the offender has grown up, that can and should be taken into account as a mitigating factor. This involves the realistic recognition by the court of the endemic presence of alcohol within aboriginal communities, and the grave social difficulties faced by those communities where poor self image, absence of education and work opportunity and other demoralising factors have placed heavy stresses on them, reinforcing their resort to alcohol and compounding its worst effects.

(F) That in sentencing persons of aboriginal descent the court must avoid any hint of racism, paternalism or collective guilt yet must nevertheless assess realistically the objective seriousness of the crime within its local setting and by reference to the particular subjective circumstances of the offender.

(G) That in sentencing an Aborigine who has come from a deprived background or is otherwise disadvantaged by reason of social or economic factors or who has little experience of European ways, a lengthy term of imprisonment may be particularly, even unduly, harsh when served in an environment which is foreign to him and which is dominated by inmates and prison officers of European background with little understanding of his culture and society or his own personality.

Fernando was approved by the Court of Criminal Appeal in R v Hickey and has been applied in a number of subsequent cases.

[this summary cut & pasted from some legal site, I forget exactly where (!) but Fernando is current law in nsw]

Frogz said:
The curse of the Face of the NRL strikes again....and could not happen to a bigger club of grubs....Hi Dessie having a good day.

You watch the media get behind this guy....
hey the media is all over this up here in qld showing photos of him with this drinking group and they are on it every news break . This kid is talented ,has not broken any laws .not bashed any one , just a young guy to much money ,to much time ,and too much publicity. they should let it drop and leave him alone to deal with his demons , and give him help , by the way he is supposed to be stay with dce and family as they are great mates, maybe dce can help him and who knows he may become one of ours in the future . its the same every year the media look for something then when they find it they crucify it . no wonder Jesus could not win the media must have had a hand in that too
ha ha manly 4 Eva we will win 2013

wombatgc said:
bones said:
Shoe1 said:

I can just see Mark Tramby with a massive MWTSEBC ghetto font back tatt!:p

Yeah right!!

What a wonderful role model Ben Barba is at the moment. Laying on a table showing off a tattoo that glorifies the act of going out for prolonged periods and obliterating oneself with alcohol (possibly amongst other things). That tattoo shows commitment to the cause - he loves an epic bender.

What would the mum's and dads of Australia say if they knew their kids could see these photos of the their favourite role model, advertising a 'bender' with a stupid acronym tattoo? Tattoo'd on his skin? For life!??

This bloke's lost it. And yeah i know its hard when you break up with girlfriend and all that, but an 'EBC' tattoo on your stomach? Really?

If our Brett Stewart was photographed getting a tattoo of 'ECB' on his navel, thus declaring his love for getting off-head, there would be a public hanging at dawn. None of this "oooh gee we hope Ben's ok", and "its great he has the guts to ask for help". Please

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8