Barrett / Toovey / Current NRL's Coaching records

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If you're a Barrett fan, why don't you give him the benefit of time before death riding him? We all know he is a rookie coach. Rookie coaches usually have poor win/loss records early in their careers, particularly when they are in charge of a team that is transitioning from a decade long period of dominance, with ageing stars and a crippling injury toll. If you are such a Barrett fan, why the post? How did you go as a rookie in the first year of your career? Or were you always a superstar?

Have to admit, that's a pretty dumb analogy, but I'll respond like this.

In my career, after one year of service, I was actually sent on an awards night called the Night of Nights, as I ended up being 2nd in the Nation in Mortgage sales, and skipped a level, and got two promotions in one, which was unheard of at the time. That was 23 years ago.

Priot to that I had 0 experience in that industry.

Your giving our depth way less respect than they deserve. We played with some pretty amazing quality line-ups this season (even with Matai, Stewart & others out). By excusing it, YOU'RE death riding them, not me.

You think that given their excuses, they have reason to fail. That's a poor attitude about your team. I think that despite their excuses, they still should have won given our quality depth & culture built by the legends past and present.

Now, I'm pretty sure you have never, and I mean ever written anything pleasant to me, so the old, "have you ever been a first grade coach" diatribe is water off a ducks back.

Compared to his peers, Barrett has grossly under achieved. Stats are stats. They aren't opinions. Surely even you can concede that?

Then again, why bother responding, because you've never been a professional journalist, right?

Lol.

The coaching and player performance doesn't bother me nearly half as much as the disconnect that I feel for club itself nowadays. In just 12 months of Penn ownership (and Zorba's ministry of propaganda bull****) I just feel so distanced. Maybe how I'm feeling doesn't resonate with others but at this point in time it certainly doesn't feel like the Manly club I've loved and known all my life.

This.

Thought I'd throw Tooves in there for good measure as well.

Here is the current NRL team coaching records (win %) as taken from http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/coaches.html

01. Bellamy - Storm - 67%
02. Green - Cowboys - 63.5%
03. Bennett - Broncos - 61.9%
04. Robinson - Roosters - 60.4%
05. Hasler - Bulldogs - 59.9%
06. Toovey - Sea Eagles - 58.1%
07. Macguire - Rabbits - 57.6%
08. Griffin - Panthers - 52.9%
09. Flanagan - Sharks - 52.4%
10. Stuart - Raiders - 48.6%
11. Brown - Knights - 47.4%
12. Mcfaddan - Warriors - 46.0%
13. Arthur - Eels - 45.9%
14. Mcgregor - Dragons - 45.8%
15. Henry - Titans - 44.8%
16. Taylor - Tigers - 44.4%
17. Barrett - Sea Eagles 40% (now 38%)

I understand there are excuses and reasons, but this is not a good look. Not at all. I can't believe Zorba's commentary about how great things are now looking ?

The scary thing is, is it realistic, that we'll beat either Raiders / Panthers? That will reduce Barrett's record to 33%.

There have been 286 NRL coaches in the game throughout history. We lose these next two games, Barrett will sit 211 / 286, or bottom 26 percentile in the history of the game.
Fascinating figures to look at.
Good work Ryan.
So I can't keep wondering why a rookie coach?
Why Barrett?
And why Cartwright?
Of course I'll never understand sacking Tooves anyway, other than politics, because his above percentages speak for themselves.
But if they wanted a fresh start, new direction, then kevvie Walters would be one name with better credentials.
He's been with some very successful systems.
If the two blokes we have were up to it they'd be coaching penriff.
Can't help think we were sold a dump.
I blame Cartwright more than Barrett BTW. Can't stand him.

Never in the history of human endeavour, have so few, spent so much time and energy, to convince so many, that we have had a bad year.

Not one of the above stats is in any way informative with out at least 10 pages of explanation per stat.

eg. To compare Toove's Ist year with an almost unchanged premiership winning team (2012), to Barrett's 1st year with a team that failed to make the 8 with all the hurdles he's had to jump, is intellectual vandalism.

What was Ricky Stuarts win % the years he got the wooden spoons?

What are Robinson's, Maquire's and Nathan Brown's win % this year? Less than Barret's.

Etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
Give him a break are you kidding, the DEFENSE tonight was a JOKE, missed tackles not catching the ball it looked like they were never coached before. Maybe we will give him a LONG BREAK SACK HIM
I'm not sure an NRL coach needs to show these guys how to play. Regardless of how good or bad a coach he is, the players are not hungry enough and look like they need leadership.
I think we really need a Ben Kennedy type of player coming into this team. DCE is not the answer, nor Buhrer. Myles may have been, but has proved very disappointing. He is a shadow of his best form.
With Jamie going, I feel we may get worse next year, and that may have disasterous mental effects on the Turbo boys.
Gee Aaron Woods would look good in Manly colours, or Cordner, Josh Jackson....somebody, anyone

Good work Ryan.
Why Barrett?
And why Cartwright?
Of course I'll never understand sacking Tooves anyway, other than politics, because his above percentages speak for themselves.
But if they wanted a fresh start, new direction, then kevvie Walters would be one name with better credentials.
Good sound reasoning there. Why we chucked out Toovey to replace him with a L plater is beyond me. Kevvie Walters is a great choice. I would love to see Bellamy make a change and rebuild our club. I know he is a Melbourne Menace, but he is a very solid coach who is capable of turning the club around

Also, too achieve any meaningful Statistics to determine the value of a coach, you would need every coach to have the same players playing against the same opposition without any variation.

Without the above all you have is interesting facts.

Never in the history of human endeavour, have so few, spent so much time and energy, to convince so many, that we have had a bad year.

Not one of the above stats is in any way informative with out at least 10 pages of explanation per stat.

eg. To compare Toove's Ist year with an almost unchanged premiership winning team (2012), to Barrett's 1st year with a team that failed to make the 8 with all the hurdles he's had to jump, is intellectual vandalism.

What was Ricky Stuarts win % the years he got the wooden spoons?

What are Robinson's, Maquire's and Nathan Brown's win % this year? Less than Barret's.

Etc, etc, etc.
No, let's just selectively take stats with no context and make a definitive judgement.

If you're a Barrett fan, why don't you give him the benefit of time before death riding him? We all know he is a rookie coach. Rookie coaches usually have poor win/loss records early in their careers, particularly when they are in charge of a team that is transitioning from a decade long period of dominance, with ageing stars and a crippling injury toll. If you are such a Barrett fan, why the post? How did you go as a rookie in the first year of your career? Or were you always a superstar?
Why would you then replace a rookie coach with another rookie coach and use the excuse its performance based... The club is owned and run by farkwits.

No, let's just selectively take stats with no context and make a definitive judgement.
There's only stat that matters. The happy meter.. Who's happy with baz's performance. Not many. The happy meter is very fickle though. Can change radically after one game.

Good work Ryan.
Why Barrett?
And why Cartwright?
To be fair he would have to be one of the most successful assistant (not head) coaches of all time with two gf wins

The most valid statistics in league when drawing comparisons are possibly state of origin coaching records where a very similar team is often coached by many different coaches. If the answer to an average team is to bring in a great coach the stats do not back it up. Look at the winning % of all the coaches and you will learn nothing about the coaches talent but you will learn everything about the cattle they were leading. Also the Northern Eagle era looked nothing like Manly but what is the point of worrying over short term issues too much.

The most valid statistics in league when drawing comparisons are possibly state of origin coaching records where a very similar team is often coached by many different coaches. If the answer to an average team is to bring in a great coach the stats do not back it up. Look at the winning % of all the coaches and you will learn nothing about the coaches talent but you will learn everything about the cattle they were leading. Also the Northern Eagle era looked nothing like Manly but what is the point of worrying over short term issues too much.
Good point. Toovey inherited the premiers. Not many rookies get that.

Good point. Toovey inherited the premiers. Not many rookies get that.
Exactly , Manly under Toovey looked a lot like Manly under Hasler because he had a very similar team. But the decline had started and Des was fully aware of this.

It all comes down to injuries. We get a decent strength, conditioning and rehab program and don't get a constant pile of injuries then we'll make the 8 in 2017.

I'm not sold on Barrett yet and some of his early season team selections and tactics were rookie sht, but I've seen improvement later in season that would have continued if not for the injury toll.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8