Barrett / Toovey / Current NRL's Coaching records

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Never in the history of human endeavour, have so few, spent so much time and energy, to convince so many, that we have had a bad year.

Not one of the above stats is in any way informative with out at least 10 pages of explanation per stat.

eg. To compare Toove's Ist year with an almost unchanged premiership winning team (2012), to Barrett's 1st year with a team that failed to make the 8 with all the hurdles he's had to jump, is intellectual vandalism.

What was Ricky Stuarts win % the years he got the wooden spoons?

What are Robinson's, Maquire's and Nathan Brown's win % this year? Less than Barret's.

Etc, etc, etc.
Logic has no place on this forum Woodsie.
Leave now.:p

Trouble is guys for a decade or so we had it so so very good, finals every year, 4 Grand Finals, two Premierships.

AND, now we are down towards the bottom you guys can't handle the pain.

It's all part of being a football fan in a salary cap competition.

No cap, and you'd be like the ESL, the finals and Premierships fought out between about 4 teams, every bloody year!!!

Melbourne will get their fall, as soon as Smith / Cronk and to a lesser extent Slater move on.

The Sharks probably have to win this year or next , and then they will slide.

Canberra are going well, they might have 3-4 years up there and will ( may) win a GF.

Dogs have been there for a bit, but their time will come as well.

The Cowboys without Thurston are just also rans!!

Just look at the bottom ( excluding Knights) and you see,

Manly
Souths
Roosters

ALL Premiership winners in the last 5 years.

It's just the way it works, so hold on and enjoy the ride!!!

The Toovey v Barrett stuff and the propensity to wish to live in the past and bring up all the past recriminations reminds me of an ex-wife I used to know.

Trent Barrett is the coach. Tooves is gone. This severely undermanned team puts in 100% most weeks. And will do so again this week against a team winning 8 in a row. I back the coach. .

The fact that Twenty Is our coach, in the present tense, does not make him a good coach. It does not allow him to be protected from our complaints or comparisons with others. Its a competitive "Results Driven" world. This is the reality.

Twenty is a beginner and his selection as our coach was a 'klanger' of epic proportions. He's like a Year 2 primary school kid in the coaching stakes. There is no comparison between him and Bellamy, Bennett. Every week he gets on TV blaming the injury toll. And yes, it is a factor. But our discipline in defence, our lack of commitment to 'tough it out' on Saturday was obvious to all. Down on troops, but still our first choice star players made terrible errors near our own line letting in tries. I could go on about positional selection mistakes, lack of attacking or game plans, but I wont bother.

If MWSE stick with Twenty, we have a long road ahead to get back to the top.

My thoughts - there are a lot of good judges saying TB has what it takes, so I'm prepared to give him time. The jury is out, but I think the team is playing for him, which counts for a lot in my book. No one loves Tooves more than I, but I don't think he was the long term answer for us as head coach. This "results driven business" crap is just a furphy - the owners could see our long term future lay elsewhere, so made the call. They are the owners after all. This year has been one to forget, but injuries and a horror draw contributed to that, whether you want to call them excuses or not, thats the reality.

Good thoughts mate, agree the jury is still out and let's face it Barrett knows that, if we have a reasonable roster to kick off 2017, get a half reasonable draw, and manage to put the same team on the paddock for 5-6 weeks in a row let the court decide then.

But to rave on infinitem about it is a waste of everyone time, at this point.

However there's no doubt the coach under the most pressure at the start of 2017 is Twenty, we keep failing, he'll be shafted and a caretaker will come in until they appoint another.

A better stat would be the ownership stats for first two years in control of an NRL club.

I can see it all so clearly now.

Good thoughts mate, agree the jury is still out and let's face it Barrett knows that, if we have a reasonable roster to kick off 2017, get a half reasonable draw, and manage to put the same team on the paddock for 5-6 weeks in a row let the court decide then.

But to rave on infinitem about it is a waste of everyone time, at this point.

However there's no doubt the coach under the most pressure at the start of 2017 is Twenty, we keep failing, he'll be shafted and a caretaker will come in until they appoint another.
Incorrect - the two coaches under the pumps the most next year will be from a pool of Madge, Mary, Robbo, McFadden, Taylor and possibly supercoach Bennett depending on how they close out the year. Maybe even BA too because the fans will expect an undefeated season from the great one.

It just seems to us like it's Baz as he's our coach but those guys are on a hotter seat.

I'll tell you what's a dumb analogy - comparing the win/loss record of a rookie first year coach to the career stats of blokes like Bellamy. Even a superstar mortgage salesman must appreciate that's pretty irrelevant. I'm not making excuses, just seeing the reality of the situation and not having a hissy fit and taking it as some sort of personal affront that the team isn't winning every week. How exactly are you a Trent Barrett fan, when everything you have written in this thread says the exact opposite? And no, I have never felt inclined to say anything pleasant to you, because 95% of what you post is negative.

A couple of things:
+ I also supplemented & compared coaches who have coached comparable games. Nice cherry pick though.

+ Unsure why you feel the need to be the bible and preach to others on how they should feel or how they should relay their opinions, else you "won't be pleasant". Rather than dictating how people should feel & say, how about some understanding to those that are disappointed in the overall result? Or is it your way, or no way at all?

+ We are about to go through a season, with a 33% win ratio (being the best grade at our club presently). I give our depth & quality more credence than you do, simple as that. I then, have higher expectations than you. That makes you the negative one, not me. You may accept the losses (given the reality of the situation - your words), I am gutted at the losses (because I think given their quality, they could have done much better, injuries or no).

+ The last comment there - you just sound like a flog. Sorry, but that's the way it comes across to me. If people post just positive opinions, is that then more acceptable, or is there a TerryRandall barometer forum members must meet, in order to avoid the unplesentness?

Incorrect - the two coaches under the pumps the most next year will be from a pool of Madge, Mary, Robbo, McFadden, Taylor and possibly supercoach Bennett depending on how they close out the year. Maybe even BA too because the fans will expect an undefeated season from the great one.

It just seems to us like it's Baz as he's our coach but those guys are on a hotter seat.

BA just got as 2 year extension I think?

BA just got as 2 year extension I think?
They'll have new people in at the top so if they miss out on the 8, he'd probably be safe next year because of all the carryover crap but same again or slow start in 2018 and he'd be gone.

Its called a forum champ - you have the right to express an opinion, I have the right to disagree. Cherrypicking? How about your original post - cherrypicking stats to support your argument? How would you know about my expectations? I actually expect to win the comp every year, but that doesn't mean I'm gonna cry when there are valid reasons when we don't. I'm still curious though as to the basis upon which you are a TB fan (your words)?

(Apologies in advance for the length of this) - don't read if you're not interested.

Yes, you can disagree with someone's opinion, but there is a respectful, tactful way of doing it without making it personal TerryRandall. That was the basis & core of this forum to begin with. Open, honest, transparent discussion (sometimes heated) but always open minded, and with a willingness to concede.

Now, granted, The original post in this thread was cherry-picking stats, and after I read a post from HappilyManly about it, I conceded (something I think a few here would struggle with), and offered new statistics based on relative games played.

There is a whole website designed with these stats. I haven't formulated them myslef.

Quite a few here think every debate is black and white. Quite often, there are also shades of grey. Why CAN'T I support Barrett, yet still be disappointed with his results this year? I openly stated pre-season (and even tried to sway some opinion) that he needs to be given time (REGARDLESS of result) - and I honestly thought we'd be contending for a premiership.

I actually feel that what was our weakness in the Toovey era, has been corrected in the Barrett regime (and that's the go forward, and the forward pack). BUT, I also think (due to poor execution, injuries, effort at times, attitude at times) our backline has failed to live up to expectation, and they have under performed (and that includes DCE - which even he admitted at times this season).

I think we need a few more leaders out there (Matai / Lawrence next season?). We are 12th overall in attack and defense, which isn't great. But injuries did that. Injuries, and at time attitude (but that's my opinion).

Now, you say you don't cry at results. That's fine - that's you. I literally do. But we are different people, and I wear that emotion as a badge of honour.

This season, I feel we had the ability & the coaching structures - we lacked the effort (there was a good 5 week period admittedly - which I hope can be built on), but we may well go out on another 5 game losing streak.

Therefore, I'm bitterly disappointed in the results this year, but am most certainly willing to give Barrett more time and support him. I just hope our owners feel the same way, because let's be honest, there aren't many other options that could do better.

Thought I'd throw Tooves in there for good measure as well.

Here is the current NRL team coaching records (win %) as taken from http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/competitions/nrl/coaches.html

01. Bellamy - Storm - 67%
02. Green - Cowboys - 63.5%
03. Bennett - Broncos - 61.9%
04. Robinson - Roosters - 60.4%
05. Hasler - Bulldogs - 59.9%
06. Toovey - Sea Eagles - 58.1%
07. Macguire - Rabbits - 57.6%
08. Griffin - Panthers - 52.9%
09. Flanagan - Sharks - 52.4%
10. Stuart - Raiders - 48.6%
11. Brown - Knights - 47.4%
12. Mcfaddan - Warriors - 46.0%
13. Arthur - Eels - 45.9%
14. Mcgregor - Dragons - 45.8%
15. Henry - Titans - 44.8%
16. Taylor - Tigers - 44.4%
17. Barrett - Sea Eagles 40% (now 38%)

I understand there are excuses and reasons, but this is not a good look. Not at all. I can't believe Zorba's commentary about how great things are now looking ?

The scary thing is, is it realistic, that we'll beat either Raiders / Panthers? That will reduce Barrett's record to 33%.

There have been 286 NRL coaches in the game throughout history. We lose these next two games, Barrett will sit 211 / 286, or bottom 26 percentile in the history of the game.

Help me out here Ryan.

Are you guaranteeing that if Bellamy came to Manly next year we would win 67% of our games?

And if say Ricky Stuart came then we would win only 48.6% of our games, but if we keep Barrett you guarantee we will win only 33% of our games?

Help me out here Ryan.

Are you guaranteeing that if Bellamy came to Manly next year we would win 67% of our games?

And if say Ricky Stuart came then we would win only 48.6% of our games, but if we keep Barrett you guarantee we will win only 33% of our games?

Uncertain. I was reproducing historical data that was factual in the initial and subsequent post. There wasn't even any real analysis in it. Any conclusion about what is GOING to happen going forward would be hypothesis at best.

May as well sling mud at a wall, and hope it sticks when it comes to me guessing what will come. I guessed we'd be top 1-2 this past season as example. I guessed Mateo would be one of our best. I guessed Symonds would be amazing for us. I guessed Myles would be amazing for us. I thought Parcell was going to be a match winner.

My track record with prediction has a lot of luck about it - most of it on the bad side of the ledger mate.

Ask me at the end of next season, if I thought those things would happen (if they did), then sure. Hindsight's a wonderful thing. I was a complete dud in my predictions to be fair.

The only certain thing about me, is that if you want to know which horse will come last in the Melbourne Cup (and no, I don't want to ride in it - I get that every year), get me to pick who I think the winner will be. LOL

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4