• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Kiwi Eagle

Staff member
Everybody on here seems to be saying "Zorba for the board" etc.

What I don't see a lot of, is people backing that up with good, solid reasons as to why he is the man for the job, and what he is going to bring to the boardroom table to make the club more of a success. Is it more just a case of we want the current mob gone, and he will do ?

I don't have my mind made up either way so am happy to read the views from both sides.

What does concern me though is that throughout all of this drama, and all the leadup to it, all we have seen from Zorba is him standing beside the fire with a petrol can to keep the flames burning

Very good point Kiwi and that was self centred petulant behaviour from Zorba to enflame the situation only days away from the first finals game. As if his own issues were much larger than the Manly team and club. If he wasn't such a hotheadf he could have waited a few weeks to sort the situation out.

But Perry blew it too and did not react how an experienced COO should. Hopefully he has learnt bigtime from this mistake.

Zorba should have known full well how destabilising his actions would be to the team and to the supporters. 'Me me me' was the approach with the redmist running through his head....only days later in his column when he had calmed down did he say that no person is bigger than the club (or words to that effect)

Having said all that I still reckon Zorba's heart is in the right place for the club, plus its gonna be critical to have him in the club if for no other reason than cynically wanting us to hang on to the key player group.

In recent years Zorba's role has morphed into being player liason manager while all the time the players have been distanced away from the board and COO and anyone at Brookvale. Thats why the board and COO should be based at Narrabeen so the players get to know them on a personal level and don't just see them as 'front office'.

Cohesion will be everything during 2012-13 but I'd also have Zorba on the board for his overall club experience incl his links with the past great players and current players. Dunno can't put it into words better than that at the moment...must be other reasons :D:heart:

I think what many are basing it on is that universal belief that Zorba is well liked by the playing group. Ergo he could mend the obvious rift between front office and the team. Does anyone know whether he actually wants the job ?

1) Unity in the board
2) Rebuild the relationship between board and players
3) Understands the culture of the club

I agree it was maybe time to move zorba on from the media role the timing and they way it was done was disgraceful.

It's actually quite simple really, and it may not be the worlds best reason.

- It will break up the factions and balance of power, which is precisely what is needed. It is a tragedy that the majority owner has the least amount of say.

- Zorba is related through marriage to Penn, whilst he won't be a puppet, you will more likely have him voting down similar lines to Penn and as such no more factional wins due to personality clashes.

- Zorba will have the best interest of the club in heart. You may not agree with his journalism style or him personally but there is no denying that the man is as Manly Sea Eagles and Maroon and White and Brookie

Daniel said:

- It will break up the factions and balance of power, which is precisely what is needed. It is a tragedy that the majority owner has the least amount of say.

- Zorba is related through marriage to Penn, whilst he won't be a puppet, you will more likely have him voting down similar lines to Penn and as such no more factional wins due to personality clashes.

- Zorba will have the best interest of the club in heart. You may not agree with his journalism style or him personally but there is no denying that the man is as Manly Sea Eagles and Maroon and White and Brookie

You got the points I was struggling for Dan! Well said

brookiegreg said:
Daniel said:

I'm not totally convinced but it helps to put it in perspective and to keep an open mind.

Dan's post has hekped me to sway towards that way of thinking.

I've been on the record many times as wanting Zorba replaced as media manager and that has happened and will be replaced with someone more suitable for that position and I don't regret that fact. I've never doubted he was Manly through and through.

If a rebel ticket comes along I will vote on it's merits, who they are, non-factioned aligned, their agenda and so on. But Dan is right we must keep an open mind an not let emotions get in the way.

I just want a majority ownership having the majority say. The man who is currently saving our club will do for decision making in my opinion. Money where you mouth is, mouth where your money is imo.

Zorba on the board will mean our club finally has the ability to pass votes based on sensibility and not just testosterone mopping of the board room.

fLIP said:
I just want a majority ownership having the majority say. The man who is currently saving our club will do for decision making in my opinion. Money where you mouth is, mouth where your money is imo.

Zorba on the board will mean our club finally has the ability to pass votes based on sensibility and not just testosterone mopping of the board room.

Hypothetically, would you still be singing the same tune if the majority shareholder chooses to take 3, 4, 6 or more games away from Brookvale, changes the team name, emblem or colours.

You have to look at both side of the arguments before rushing in and making hasty decisions as important as this. There are way too many factors to consider and what we have to gain and loose from it. One thing for certain is not everyone will be happy.

Unless its 100% private ownership then we need to ensure that caveats apply and enforced.

brookiegreg said:
Daniel said:

Very Very Very Well Said Indeed!!!

Zorba will be a puppet and vote Penn 100%.

We will play a lot more than 2 games away from brookie in the next 5 years if Penn gets that control and if we dont have a new stadium being built Penn will move us and sell the leagues club.

OneEyedEagle said:
fLIP said:

Hypothetically, would you still be singing the same tune if the majority shareholder chooses to take 3, 4, 6 or more games away from Brookvale, changes the team name, emblem or colours.

Unless its 100% private ownership then we need to ensure that caveats apply and enforced.

Very good point mate.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6