[Resurrected] Zac Saddler

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Incidents like this is exactly why PVL is determined to take the accidental head clash out of the game...gotta keep those soccer mums (and lawyers) happy.

Relieved for the Big Fella:

From Foxsports, who got its story from the SMH.

RELIEF FOR YOUNG MANLY FORWARD

Zac Saddler sent a shock through the rugby league world when he was rushed to hospital a fortnight ago during his side’s loss to the Knights due to a depressed fracture in his skull.

There were initial concerns that not only his season was over, but perhaps his career after just three NRL games. But in a big sigh of relief, Saddler has confirmed to The Sydney Morning Heraldthat there was no bleed on his brain and he will be right to play in eight weeks after getting a metal plate put in his skull during surgery.

“It was just a fracture and the brain was untouched. It didn’t actually knock me out. I literally got hit in the head, but I wasn’t unconscious or anything like that,” he told the Herald.

“I was always aware what was going on. It was a bit of a weird one. I’ve had the surgery and will be back playing again this year.”

“Obviously I got hit in the head, but at the time I thought I was sweet, it’s just a normal little head knock.

“I was telling the trainers I wanted to play on. I remember walking past the bench and going, ‘I’ll be back in five minutes’. Then I got into the sheds and felt my head and that freaked me out a bit.

“I started spewing in the sheds from the pain and then I spent the night [in hospital].

“You just know something is wrong. I didn’t know exactly how bad it was, but our doctor, Nathan Gibbs, you could tell he was a bit worried in the sheds. But if he wasn’t like that and I was bleeding on the brain, I guess it could have been a lot worse.

“I will be out for eight weeks, the same time period as a broken arm or normal bone healing. They put a plate in my head. It’s just like breaking your arm really.”
Definitely a tough unit!

Jeez I hope manly re-sign Zac.
21 years old and he’s gonna be a big, fast mobile forward with an offload. He’s reminded me of Joseph Tapine in the few games I’ve seen him play
Hope he also makes it back into this inform Manly squad this year to finish what he was just about to start. Saddle up Zac!

I mentioned this a couple months ago but Saddler has signed with Tuggeranong Bushrangers in Canberra local comp. There were reports he was with Broncos on a train n trial but I have just been Informed again he is definitely playing for my old club in Canberra. Apparently over all the NRL grind

Thought he might of had more to him than that .. he's still young .. he may be back.

I mentioned this a couple months ago but Saddler has signed with Tuggeranong Bushrangers in Canberra local comp. There were reports he was with Broncos on a train n trial but I have just been Informed again he is definitely playing for my old club in Canberra. Apparently over all the NRL grind
Well that answers the question raised by @The Who

Not signed again because he wasn’t interested.

Well there you go !!

The sort that Beaver used to wear might help. Soft padding around and across the top of the head to cushion the skull and reduce blunt force trauma to the brain. It never seemed to impede his speed or agility or adversely effect his vision.

It is not the impact to the head that creates concussion .. it is the rapid movement of the head in one direction causing the brain to bounce off the inside of the skull in an equal and opposite reaction .. for this, headgear are exactly Zero prevention .. in fact several studies suggest that they may impose a higher risk because some may play more aggressively, or be less hesitant to put their melon in harms way ..

Maybe the head injury spooked him?
Might have been an underllying consideration but more likely the opportunity to reestablish himself in a less vigorous type comp with a full time job . As opposed to the disruption of trying to advance past a train and trial situation somewhere to a minimum contract stage with still no assurance of getting out of the lower N R L grades . . Certainly had some good attributes . if fully fit and able in the future and playing at a good level , maybe could still be within range of an N R L career again But just a maybe one would think .

Might have been an underllying consideration but more likely the opportunity to reestablish himself in a less vigorous type comp with a full time job . As opposed to the disruption of trying to advance past a train and trial situation somewhere to a minimum contract stage with still no assurance of getting out of the lower N R L grades . . Certainly had some good attributes . if fully fit and able in the future and playing at a good level , maybe could still be within range of an N R L career again But just a maybe one would think .
He did play a couple of top grade matches for us so I'm sure if he wanted to stay in the NRL he would have received a top 30 spot in a few clubs. Anyway, I wish him well.

As disappointed I am that he is no longer at Manly I am pleased to hear that it was probably his decision to leave the club, and that he won't be playing NRL against us.
Yes clearly not shafted by us which many thought ( the going to the Broncos rumour did that ).

I wish him well too.

I see he is playing NSW Cup for Raiders - not named this week but played last round for them

Members online

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7