Your views on 2024 after Round 1

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Storm looked impressive [ well certainly defence wise ] but they always seem to start well .
Panthers and Roosters have the roster to be up there again , Broncs maybe not as formidable but of course a gun full back in Walsh .
Looks like the Cows could be quite competitive though Manly should have had them in that Brookie game in season 22 and got close last season and both times minus Turbo .
Not sure about the Eels and quite a few of the finals teams of recent times may not have improved that much or about similar standard .
Manly are one side and of course with a good run in the injury department and with key players who definitely come into better contention .
Quite optimistic with the prop grouping and including the eventual return of Lodge .
Need Burbo , Schuster and even quite conceivably Parker to reliably provide something very worthwhile to compliment Haumole ..
Addition of Brooks , Brown and good impact from Schuster and Lodge and the injury factor will probably be the ultimate determinant when all is said and done

Anyone else think Ciraldo’s press conference was laughable?

He thought it was ‘outstanding’ that they won the last 20 minutes, two tries to one?!

Geez they’re driving some high standards in Belmore if they think any aspect of that insipid performance was outstanding.
The Key words to you post are High Standards feathered friend
and The Dogs Million dollar Key signings performance were not of high standards and that was a reflection of their teams ordinary round one showing
Crichton 8 runs for 51 metres
Kikau 5 runs 42 metres
Mahoney 4 runs 23 metres
Burton 2 runs 18 metres

Must have been after that successful Captain s challenge on the result Tigers way
The Tigers many many many years ago were a competitive and respectable opponent
Until they were run by incompetent management who ran them down to their mediocre level

The moral of the story
An Organisations greatest asset are the people it Invests in
Invest in Duds and your club is Doomed

Next 2 games will define our season. Lose both and it's a repeat of '23. Win 1 then maybe the 8. Win both and barring major injuries I think top 4 is a real chance.
Think it's a bit early to write us off even if we lose our next 2 games Mick. The comps pretty fluid atm, to early to tell. Once we get Lodge and Sipley back, that'll be the time to start assessing our chnces for a shot at 3rd or 4th. We miss the 8 then its sienarra Seib's for 2025.

Think it's a bit early to write us off even if we lose our next 2 games Mick. The comps pretty fluid atm, to early to tell. Once we get Lodge and Sipley back, that'll be the time to start assessing our chnces for a shot at 3rd or 4th. We miss the 8 then its sienarra Seib's for 2025.
And you look at our draw coming up after this weekend for rounds 3-12

Parra away
Dragons away
Panthers home
Warriors away
Titans away
Parra home
Canberra home
Dolphins away
Broncos away - magic round
Storm home
Round 13 bye

That is not an easy draw
We need to be 6 wins at a minimum after 12 rounds to be any chance of playing finals footy.
After 12 rounds we will have a better picture where we stand in this competition

Last edited:
Takes between 4-6 rounds before the cream starts to settle at the top so these initial rounds are just a taste. I like Manly's structure and talent across the park this year. Power and speed with a lot of creativity in several players' game. Injuries will always be the key. Good start defeating one of the contenders. My position. Encouraging but by Round 6 we'll be able to say if its just a honeymoon period. Gut feeling says they've got the elements there to be a contender. Need for tighter defense though. Attack no problem.

Takes between 4-6 rounds before the cream starts to settle at the top so these initial rounds are just a taste. I like Manly's structure and talent across the park this year. Power and speed with a lot of creativity in several players' game. Injuries will always be the key. Good start defeating one of the contenders. My position. Encouraging but by Round 6 we'll be able to say if its just a honeymoon period. Gut feeling says they've got the elements there to be a contender. Need for tighter defense though. Attack no problem.
Agreed defense worries me still we fix that we become a more dangerous side jury still out on us for me

And you look at our draw coming up after this weekend for rounds 3-12

Parra away
Dragons away
Panthers home
Warriors away
Titans away
Parra home
Canberra home
Dolphins away
Broncos away - magic round
Storm home
Round 13 bye

That is not an easy draw
We need to be 6 wins at a minimum after 12 rounds to be any chnace of playing finals footy.
After 12 rounds we will have a better picture where we stand in this competition
Looking at that run we have 3 tough fortnights.
2 Roosters 3 Parra
5 Panthers 6 Warriors
11 Broncos 12 Storm
How we preform in these back 2 back games will tell us a lot about our chances this year.

It sure would be nice if we could get Lodge back for R5 against Penrith.

If we have a winning record and a full strength pack by R6 I'll be booking GF tickets🤞

Edit: Just for clarity, mainly for the football gods, this statement was made with tongue firmly planted in cheek. We aren't St merge after all.

Last edited:
The premiership is not won in April.

Just sayin’

I was thinking this is looking good after the Souths win even though round 1 generally has a lot of upsets.
After reading about Souths they are a basket case and we should take nothing out of it, they won only 4 games since round 12 last season and the only top 8 team in that was New Zealand. I fail to see how they are one of the favourites for 2024.

We have improved since 2023 and if we can keep the spine healthy we will be a top 8 team and be in the mix for a top 4 finish.

Looking at that run we have 3 tough fortnights.
2 Roosters 3 Parra
5 Panthers 6 Warriors
11 Broncos 12 Storm
How we preform in these back 2 back games will tell us a lot about our chances this year.
I am not sure that you should skip R4… we got them last year but our record at WIN Stadium is absolutely horrendous…
Yes it is a long season but the next 5 weeks will tell us a lot about our side…

My thoughts so far…
Riff are the Riff and seem to have plugged their gaps well (again). I doubt they can do 4-in-a-row but they are a top-4 side all day every day,
Warriors looked great against the Sharks but did not get much luck - they will be right there with the top 4 sides I reckon
Rorters looked clinical in Vegas and can’t wait for Sunday to get a real guide - think they are a top 8 side for certain (unfortunately),
Storm will be thereabouts APU - too many good players not to be,
Broncs have crapload of talent and Reece Walsh gives them massive X factor so they are probably gonna win more than they lose,
Cows are a top 8 side on their R1 performance but it was against the Finns who have some big issues and will be towards the bottom,
Rabbits lack punch in the forwards and Trell is a lazy fat f—- but won’t get a real gauge on them until Wighton slots in,
Parra looked great against Dogs but got stripped last night (with key injuries) - happy to leave them out of my 8 still… for now…
Sharks have got more favours in 2 rounds then all the brothels in Kings Cross had last year… pretenders for mine,
Raiders looked good and could sneak into the 8 but I am not sold on their halves still,
Dogs cannot seriously stick with attacking down their right side all game when Crichton and Kikau are on the left (wtf?) - they still have issues with their halves but look kinda balanced as a team - smokies for the 8 I reckon,
Dragons looked very good in R1 but it was against the Tits who are (still) terrible - happy to leave both out of the 8,
Knights over-achieved in 2024 and have the worst halves combination in the NRL - leave me out,
Tigpies are going to get lapped if they play anything like they did in that trial against StMerge (where they had a full squad just about)…
Manly looked fantastic in Vegas and I was especially impressed with how we got behind on the scoreboard twice but got back in front with methodical pressure… there was no panic and our attack looked potent (which is something it has lacked over previous seasons)… I rate us a top 8 side all day everyday and think we are a real chance overall…

Last edited:
Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8
8 4 4 -16 8