Your a tough crowd, but what do you think of this?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
Ok guys - this is going to be a tough one to write down, but for starters I want to say I think we as Manly supporters are a community as such - and that means looking after each other.

Now, I know this will be stretch for some, and a lot to ask, but please, think on it, and give me some feedback on whether you think this may be viable going forward.

We have heard how QLD Group have had a bit of trouble financially, and have pulled out of backing Manly in their campaign in 2007 (unfortunately).

I had an idea (and yes I know it would be logistically tough to instigate), but how about we, as MEMBERS spoinsor the club, and attain the back of jersey sponsorship?

It would mean say $100 per member (and of coarse I'd throw my the 1st hundred in to walk the walk). That way we could potentially get around $200k per season in funding that would go DIRECTLY to the team we support, and enjoy watching each year.

If $100 is a stretch, then 1/2 it, and give $50, and we'd still get somewhere from $120k to $200k.

Imagine the media interest in something like this. It would be something that has never happenned before in this game. It would make us look like a real community club, and not to mention, how good it would make US all feel knowing we are a direct major sponsor !! I know I'd be just pumped.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I understand that this may be too much of a financial strain on some, and appreciate that, but I just wanted to throw up the idea. I personally believe that if something like this were to eventuate, it would raie the club additional supporters through the "community" spirit that would be perceived.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If there was enough support for the idea, I'd hope that Aaron may assist us in contacting all members through the newsletter E-mail, or potentially a mail out etc.

Again guys, this is just an idea, and I was wondering what you all thought. Remember - we always talk about as a group what we can do to support the club in the "true supporter" capacity. What better way than becoming a major sponsor as a group? We'd have to establish an ABN, think of a title for the jersey back etc etc...but that's all admin work that can be done down the track.

Guys?

It wouldnt work, we cant get 2000 football club members as is so I just cant see people throwing in $100 for something like this.

Im still contemplating whether I want an $80 hat and plastic card which is cool cause it would have my name on it.

Put it this way, if we didn't pay our hooker a 1/4 mil a season this wouldn't even be a problem.

Put it this way, if we didn't pay our hooker a 1/4 mil a season this wouldn't even be a problem.

How do you figure that? You dont think we would have spent the money elsewhere, ie another blue chip signing.

Im saying if he was paid hooker money and not spoilt brat money then the sponsors defection wouldn't hit so hard.

I would rather throw $100 at an initiative like this than spend it on a membership

Thank you Dan. I know there would be a lot of risks, but I consider there are enough mitigants to counter them.
Byso - we have a media manager dude. I've said this elsewhere. Your looking at it as though the club NEED it. Not so. I'd do it for selfish reasons. I WANT to do it. 1. to help my team 2. I can brag about it 3. We get appreciated specifically on the back of the jersey etc etc.
What specifically in this would make us the laughing stock???

Byso you dont seem to understand what this would do for the club
Having the fans sponsor the team would drive so much media interest.

The media interest would be very very very very much mutually beneficial and would probably ccascade further with more sponsorship.

I dont think soem people actually see past what is rightin front of them

Very good idea Ryan but as MAta said, alot of logistics involved. Id throw $100 into this venture if you were able to get it rolling.

It is a good idea and I am surprised that the club didn't do this or a public appeal when they were 3 weeks away from closing their doors.

Im saying if he was paid hooker money and not spoilt brat money then the sponsors defection wouldn't hit so hard.

are you the kind of person who will buy something you dont need jsut because its on special?

or are you really dumb enough to think that had we saved 100-200K on monas it would not have been spent elsewhere, most probably inflating orfords contract even more. Be realistic and realise the financial situation the club would have been would have been no different either way. Or you can continue to let your vendetta's get in the way of reality.

Ryan - its a stupid idea when you think of the realistic side, we struggle to get genuine member who get something in return, we have had months of squabbles over something as simple as a supporter group name and you think you can get 2000 people to shell up $100 each for nothing, many of whom have already donated $80. With thoughts like that you should be in politics.

I don't consider it as getting nothing out of it Fluffy.
1. We get naming rights;
2. We get bragging rights;
3. We get the feel good feeling.

Byso you dont seem to understand what this would do for the club
Having the fans sponsor the team would drive so much media interest.

The media interest would be very very very very much mutually beneficial and would probably ccascade further with more sponsorship.

I dont think soem people actually see past what is rightin front of them

Correct on all points.

IMHO this idea is as silly as Pepsi's idea of asking the panthers to swap home games for Beavers 300th game.

We would be the laughing stock because it would clearly underline the fact that our clubs admin can't generate there own sponsors.

When clubs like Souths can get many corporate sponsors and we get something like "EagleFans" blazoned on the back of the jersey.

So quite frankly I'm quite astonished At Mata, Dan and Ryan supporting such an unprofessional idea.

And to think the club would be happy to have a thousand or so supporters like these assuming they have a say as they have a vested interest would give the club nightmares.

Good day :)

If it means the difference between the club being able to pay their players for the 2007 season and not being able to pay them then it is quite a easy decision.

IMHO this idea is as silly as Pepsi's idea of asking the panthers to swap home games for Beavers 300th game.

We would be the laughing stock because it would clearly underline the fact that our clubs admin can't generate there own sponsors.

When clubs like Souths can get many corporate sponsors and we get something like \"EagleFans\" blazend on the back of the jersey.

So quite frankly i'm quite astonished At Mata, Dan and Ryan supporting such an unprofessional idea.

What do you know about marketing and media Byso?

An initiative like this is a classic "purple cow", something that generates comment and interest. This is something done very well by people like Virgin Blue - and the only reason Souths are signing up so many sponsors is because they are savvy marketers who want the association with Crowe's celebrity.

Unless MAnly can get Sarah Murdoch and Layne Beachley to do something similar (on a larger scale than the Eagle Angels) then Ryan's idea is a good Plan B. IT would generate interest from sponsors because it would quantify a significant and passionate supporter base.

I'd go a step further and offer different packages though.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4