Yogi Rogers - Manly fullback 1994

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

MattO

I was reading the www.silvertails.net website with the former player reviews and I see players from all eras written about including those who weren't so great. The illustrious careers of Scott Fulton and Neville Elwin I see get a write up.

What about the great one game wonder from 1994 in Yogi Rogers? I think his name might have been Yorgen or something like that but the Canterbury fans at Brookie that day kept on calling him Yogi Bear.

I remember he was picked at fullback with Matthew Ridge moved to 5/8 and Cliff Lyons playing halfback. Geoff Toovey was out injured and Ridge took over the captaincy that day. He has this long flowing hair and that was it. Replaced at half-time and never seen again.

It was the opening round of the 1994 Winfield Cup and much was expected of both sides. I remember Craig Polla-Mounter ran around Rogers to score the easiet of 50m tries and Polly was no speedster. Manly in the 2nd half mounted a spirited comeback. Both sides would have good seasons but in the end no one was a match for Canberra.

My memory could be a bit stray as Brookie sold JB Cans on the hill and as a 16 soon to be 17 year old I was enjoying them and gaining my first serious taste for how good bourbon was to be for me.

The Yogi Bear sledging, the hair style, the hype that did generate around him and moving one of your best ever fullbacks to another position did make sure I remembered the name plus it was against Canterbury as well.....

Can we expect to see a review?

Wheel I am sure will remember it fine. Come n wheel give us a write up

Yes I remember him well - Yorgen Rogers. I will try and get one done.

BTW a new profile on Ken Day was put up yesterday if anyone is interested

Good stuff Wheel. You see word gets around http://forums.rleague.com/showthread.php?p=239474#post239474

Yes I remember him well - Yorgen Rogers. I will try and get one done.

BTW a new profile on Ken Day was put up yesterday if anyone is interested

Yorgen was one of wheel's all time favourites. He was a player in a similar mould to Leon Yeatman - crap. One of those players who you wonder how he ever played first grade for Manly during that era.

It just goes to show that no matter how strong a team Manly has and in what era there is always room for at least one crap player to make the team each year. They are then long remembered for the fact that they were such bad players and their names are regularly brought up over a beer or 10. I am sure a couple of the current squad will also be remembered in the same way.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4