• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

SeaEagleRock8

Sea Eagle Lach
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I missed the game but watched it yesterday and what struck me (aside from our non-existent left side defence in the first half) was that almost all our runners ended up flat on their back, and not many Storm runners did.

I'm sure there is a lot to the tackle these days, and wrestling has been a key factor for over a decade, but we were seriously schooled in that area. Admittedly by the game's wrestling originators and trendsetters.

Shells Eagles

Reserve Grader
I was at the game and it was so noticeable the difference between the time of each completed play. Manly took so much longer to play the ball..... Melbourne dominated us in the wrestle.

susan

Bencher
Main reason is not so much the wrestle itself but the fact our forwards run one out with no options left or right. Opposing pack is not asked to make a decision in defense so we are gang tackled by 3 defenders and easily rolled onto our back.

Supporting the ball carrier generally limits the tacklers to two and makes for a quicker play the ball and more momentum. It doesn't have to be risky football... it is the threat of the pass that draws the defender.

Fluffy

Journey Man
Melbourne were allowed to play the player on the ground a lot of the time, we get penalised for doing that.

1 thing that Lussick is poor at is being turtled but watching him closely a few times he made it to the ground on his front or side only to get turned over with a 3rd or 4th effort after many seconds.

2 different rules.

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
Main reason is not so much the wrestle itself but the fact our forwards run one out with no options left or right. Opposing pack is not asked to make a decision in defense so we are gang tackled by 3 defenders and easily rolled onto our back.

Supporting the ball carrier generally limits the tacklers to two and makes for a quicker play the ball and more momentum. It doesn't have to be risky football... it is the threat of the pass that draws the defender.

Another fact that adds a couple of % to the overall difference is the number of low tackles we now do. Several of the players are following Jakes example on occasions. This then highlights any 2nd or 3rd tackler in for a penalty, so they tend to stay out of it.

Don't think it is a plan or coached ... just happening.

Mark from Brisbane

“ Boomer still Booming”
Premium Member
Tipping Member
storm have it down to such a fine art - all their tackles involve some type of manipulation - it gets to a point where the refs just subconsciously accept the extra couple of seconds the storm take in tackles because it has become the norm. The alternative would be to penalise every single tackle. they are especially good at the borderline flop, usually a third tackler just loitering around the ruck.
Bellyache is a master of it, otherwise how do you think they have been so successful for so long?

That and they cop bugger all penalties for their tackles and indiscretions that are plain for the rest of us to see.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
storm have it down to such a fine art - all their tackles involve some type of manipulation - it gets to a point where the refs just subconsciously accept the extra couple of seconds the storm take in tackles because it has become the norm. The alternative would be to penalise every single tackle. they are especially good at the borderline flop, usually a third tackler just loitering around the ruck.

Bellyache is a master of it, otherwise how do you think they have been so successful for so long?

That and they cop bugger all penalties for their tackles and indiscretions that are plain for the rest of us to see.

Agreed guys.

They are the absolute masters at it.

2 guys hit and hold up top and start to twist the tackled player, then the third guy comes in low and continues the twist and wraps up the legs so the player falls onto his back and laying all over him ensues.

I think Bellamy must fine them per tackle if this doesn't happen as you watch how the storm players freak out if the tackled player isn't going on to his back.

And yet...... a good ol grassing tackle is always penalised by the refs.

It's ****ed.

Last edited:

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
All of the above
1 out running will kill momentum and helps their defence dominate.
They were offside all day and tested hands all over the ball to also kill the play...
On a reverse note - I counted at least 5 times in the opening 15 minute stanza, we had 3 markers and other in no mans land on many occasions, to help assist that early points blitz.

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
It's the Cam Smith factor. Everyone including the refs are intimidated by him.
His little subtle comments to the refs change their decisions and they focus on what he wants them to.

He's a master at it. I take my hat off to him because he has everyone fooled. Especially considering he's the Australian captain and reformed cap cheater....

Alleged reformed cap cheater.

Allegedly.

Michael Clare

Reserve Grader
How many times were Melbourne pinged for being within the 10 metres?
None, I believe.
They were offside all day, yet got away with it.
Other teams cop penalties for it.

Melbourne are NEVER inside the 10 metres ... just ask any NRL referee!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
11 9 2 82 20
11 8 3 112 18
11 8 3 75 18
11 7 4 65 16
12 7 5 135 14
12 7 5 57 14
11 6 5 -9 14
11 6 5 -38 14
12 6 5 36 13