WORST BACKLINE IN THE NRL

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Ryan

Journey Man
I have said for months, and some can attest to that, that we have by far the worst backline in the NRL. We were dominated by a 17 & 18 year old backline against The Rabbits, and we have just re-signed Monnas on a LARGE contract (around what Scott Hill is on). Please discuss (without abuse or fould language Fluffy) what you guys think?

theres no question, these guys have ridden on the back of our awesome forward pack all year, let me also be the first to say, there is no problem with that, when we paid big bucks to our new recruits, we where always going to miss out somewhere. While at full strength and forwads are smashing up, Monaghs is the best man for the job, loves a inside pass and one out footy.

BUT thinking beyond this year, as those tactics ill not whin the silverwhere at the business end of the season, we will need better outside backs and a quality ball playing halff to guide them around.

I think the backline is average at best. In the fair dinkum department however, we have still got Souths measure in the backline, I mean Mick Moran, don't make me laugh, Yileen Gordon, the Prop playing in the centres. Also any backline with George Carmont in it has to be bloody average. So I would say, Souths and Newcastle have the worst two.

We are around the next tier with Canberra (When Jason Smith is out, which is all the time I spose). They do have The Schif, who I think should be Queensland fullback, but players like Matt Gafa, Terry Campese and Adam Mogg really brings that backline down.

Hmmm....

Volley - I reckon any backline with Anthony Quinn, Matt Gidley, Kurt Kidley, Andrew Johns & George Karmont is better than ours at full strength mate.

As for Souths, if you look at their FULL strength backline, with Adam & Luke Macdouggall, Todd Polgase, Shannon Hegarty, John Sutton & co. are also better than us mate.

Mind you, I rate our full strength forward pack as the BEST in the NRL.

yes the backline was dominated by Souths. Why? Our forward pack was dominated by Souths. When our forwards are at full strength the backs can hold their own.

the club knows we need to recruit more backs for next season, nothing we can do till then.

Damn what a team, we have all these ordinary players and were coming 2nd...........Well done Dessie!

Our forwards are the cornerstone to success. We lose our forwards through suspension and SOO were stuffed.

Our backline have shown that they can perform at at certain stages, even Ryan would have been surprised at there impact. But I agree theres no consistency, which is required for us to reach the top.

Those who know something about football know that we are limited in the backs. We are overachieving! We have limited depth.

Next year these things need to be addressed. This year we have to do with what we have got.

Not much more to be said. Hopefully we can jag a semi to give the lads (and fans) a taste of semi football!

Those who know something about football know that we are limited in the backs. We are overachieving! We have limited depth.

Next year these things need to be addressed. This year we have to do with what we have got.

Not much more to be said. Hopefully we can jag a semi to give the lads (and fans) a taste of semi football!

Hmmm....

Volley - I reckon any backline with Anthony Quinn, Matt Gidley, Kurt Kidley, Andrew Johns & George Karmont is better than ours at full strength mate.

As for Souths, if you look at their FULL strength backline, with Adam & Luke Macdouggall, Todd Polgase, Shannon Hegarty, John Sutton & co. are also better than us mate.

Mind you, I rate our full strength forward pack as the BEST in the NRL.

Anthnony Quinn, hahahaha. Matt Gidley, was class, but is now too old. Kurt Gidley, overated. Johns, Granted class. George Carmont= Worst player in the NRL with Ben Czilowski.

Adam MacDougall is a douche', so that counts against them. Luke MacDougall is good, but he's brother is a douche', that hurts. Todd Polgase, alright, he's no Brett Stewart. Shannon Hegarty, does he ever pass? Biggest hog in the game. Well obviously John Sutton is good.

So overall I will stick by my original judgment.

Please discuss

What is this ? Year 12 English exams ?

Who knows if our backline is the worst in the NRL, we don't play the style of game that allows us to find out how. Our strength is our forwards, especially our backrow, so this is where we play.

Now this is "Chicken or Egg" territory. Do we play a strong no nonsense forward game because our backline is crap. Or do our backs just not get an opportunity to shine because our strength is in the forwards, and if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Stewart has shown that he has talent, and more importantly he has that desirable commodity called speed. Donald is a proven finisher, and quick also. Hicks was one of our best last year, but has been disappointing this season to date (lack of opportunity perhaps).

I personally feel that the weak link in attack has been our centres, and also the halves passing game. Hill and Steppa would be lucky to have 5 line breaks between them. Monas prefers the inside ball, flat pass to wider running backrower, or take on line play. Not a big distributor of the ball, or good at a giving his outside men room (or time in a lot of cases).

But when we have guys like BK, Choc, Beaver and potentially Harris, why not stick to a game plan based around these guys. Maybe Stewart, Hicks and Donald need to get more involved and start to sniff around the ruck and look for balls off these guys, or give Monas another option (although I'm not sure that he is up to having too many options). Stewart does it, but Hicks and Donald seem content to restrict their input to dummy half runs and cooling their heels on the wing. Let Tezza and Steppa, do the bulk of the junk runs out of dummy half.

I did like Alberts' willingness to take on his man, and he did make a couple of "almost" line breaks. However this may need to be taken with a grain of salt, given that it was South Sydney. It would be nice to see him get another opportunity, and I would assume that it will be this week. Why not give Mattai and Alberts a run together.

I think our backline is OK, just lacking a quality centre probably, and maybe they are short of a good gallop. Ideally it would be nice if we could get out to a good start against the Knights with our "normal" game plan. Then when we are 14 - 20 ahead, start to play a bit more of an expansive game to give the boys a run and to try and give them a bit of confidence. Probably won't happen though, with Johns and Buderus back, Newcastle won't be any pushovers this week.

nice work C&C

I would also throw Witt in there as a hold up. When the ball goes from a half back wider it gets to another halfback who looks to do exactly the same thing - the short ball or inside ball. Very rarely is there any smooth flow from monas to witt to a centre.

We are playing with 2 halfbacks and no 5/8 - it is hurting us

no - quite like him but get annoyed at him getting special reatment because the AE conga line like him.

Im just keeping it real since no one else does

On paper, we dont have the worst back line in the Comp. On the field, their is no doubt that its close to the worst. No one hits the ball hard, running or any angles. Theirs limited ball usage. Its like the guys are standing flat, hoping that the defensive line will open up for scott donnald or stewart to just put on the pace and run through. Its a little concerning, but who are our trainers and coaches.

Cleal, Roach, Des! We have tooves but im sure his job is busy as it is with PL.

ive been saying this for ages. Monas and Witt have nothing to work with. Stewart is a great player but hes slowly starting to learn how to get into good positions.. Hes pretty good..

Donald and Hicks... have been **** this year.. cant attack and are low on confidence.. if Donald isnt put in the clear.. he cannot break a tackle. Hicks has completely lost form..

Our centres.. im not even going to start.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4