World Cup & SOO selections??

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
How does this work - if you play for any country outside Australia are you not available for Origin selection??
Just skimming over players like Snowden, Minichello, Kite who have played for NSW & Milford ,Sims, Taufua & Taumololo are being tipped for selection in coming years....
Players like Foran,Burgess & Matai would be ideal in SOO so why is it they are not able, yet others are??
Maybe theres a good reason but I have missed the story on it??
Being a selfish Manly supporter I have been happy in recent seasons that we have minimal players in the SOO & look foward to the players belting the tripe out of each other - Manly winning far exceeds my passion for SOO.
Still confused about this selection process - theres possibly many more players I have missed in the WC who have either already played SOO or will in the future - why is it some can, some can't??

Normally it's this :
To be eligible for Origin the player must make himself available for Australia.
My thing is this - Origin is supposedly used under the guise it's an Australian selection trial so shouldn't it be played under International rules - under it's present guise it's nothing more then 3 exhibition games - by international rules I mean strip it back to what we are seeing in the World Cup, 1 ref, 2 touchies and that's it.
Have heard some Countries won't recognize Origin because of this.

During a World Cup year selection rules have been loosened in the past but now follow's what every other sport in the world - Born, Resident(must have lived there for 3 years - Clint Greenshields is a prime example of this) and heritage.
A player is usually only allowed to play for one Country during a World Cup cycle unless special dispensation is given ie Petero Civoncieva

All I want is to see a cap on Manly players in any origin game - combined over both teams.
The rest I don't care about.

IMO a player born outside of NSW or Qld (or Australia for that matter) should only be eligible for Origin if they had lived in that state or country since before they were 5 years old. The trend of enticing players like James Tamou and Josh Papalli to turn their back on their country with big dollar offers of playing Origin is just plain wrong. Its why I have applauded the likes of Foz who has said that while he would love to be able to play origin, he won't turn his back on NZ.

My paternal grandparents were Scottish and Pommy, my maternal grandparents were Welsh and Pommy. My mum was a Pom, my dad was born in Marrickville (he was a life long Balmain fan and it was through him this Aussie rules raised kid grew to love league), while I was born in Adelaide. Under international eligibility rules I'd be able to play for Australia, England, Wales, Scotland and Great Britain. That to me is looney tunes.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4