World Cup 2022

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Can't say I'm surprised at DCE not getting into the Semi Final team. His form there has been very good, but Meninga is also looking to the future and there is no doubt barring injury or suspension that Cleary will be the Kangaroos halfback for the next 5 or so years.

Truth be told Cherry, who will be 34 be the time next season starts, even as captain might struggle to get picked ahead of Sam Walker for Qld in 2023.

The whole DCE v Cleary debate during the World Cup was just to fill column
Inches - the outcome was never in doubt. No one genuinely believed that Cleary would not be the halfback, but the talking heads needed to create some kind of tension.

Anyway, absent an injury to others, DCE has played his last game for Australia. And there is no shame in losing his spot to Cleary.

Can't say I'm surprised at DCE not getting into the Semi Final team. His form there has been very good, but Meninga is also looking to the future and there is no doubt barring injury or suspension that Cleary will be the Kangaroos halfback for the next 5 or so years.

Truth be told Cherry, who will be 34 be the time next season starts, even as captain might struggle to get picked ahead of Sam Walker for Qld in 2023.
Do you look to the future for a world cup semi final? I would have thought concentrating on the job at hand would be the primary concern. You look to the future during mid season internationals. Why look at winning in the future what you can win today?

Do you look to the future for a world cup semi final? I would have thought concentrating on the job at hand would be the primary concern. You look to the future during mid season internationals. Why look at winning in the future what you can win today?

In all reality though, where do you play him? Cleary and Munster are the halves, Ben Hunt is a better dummy half and gets that bench spot and against NZ Mal will likely have 3 forwards on the bench.

At best he'll be the 18th man.

The reality is when it comes to the World Cup, they could play Jake at halfback and I wouldn't care less so long as Australia win.

In all reality though, where do you play him? Cleary and Munster are the halves, Ben Hunt is a better dummy half and gets that bench spot and against NZ Mal will likely have 3 forwards on the bench.

At best he'll be the 18th man.

The reality is when it comes to the World Cup, they could play Jake at halfback and I wouldn't care less so long as Australia win.
I'm not saying he should play, Cleary is a better halfback, Munster is a better foil for Cleary and Hunt is a better utility option. Surely that would have been the plan all along

I'm not saying he should play, Cleary is a better halfback, Munster is a better foil for Cleary and Hunt is a better utility option. Surely that would have been the plan all along
I agree with selecting Cleary but I have noticed Munster stars regularly when paired with DCE, but he semed relatively quiet when paired with Cleary.
Might have been a one-off.

Just an observation: we've all bagged at various times the over the top cockiness of the panthers players over the last 2-3 years. After the Samoa v Tonga match on Sunday Brian To'o and Jerome Luai went round the perimeter fence of the pitch and chatted to/ shook hands with and had selfies with absolutely anybody who wanted to. I know it may be easy because they won but they probably wanted to be with their team-mates to celebrate getting into a world cup semi final. I had a talk with them and they seemed like genuinely nice blokes. I guess the cockiness comes from playing for the panthers and KNOWING that they are head and shoulders above anyone else.

I agree with selecting Cleary but I have noticed Munster stars regularly when paired with DCE, but he semed relatively quiet when paired with Cleary.
Might have been a one-off.
Munster gave an in depth interview saying he purposely held back and coasted in the first half to give Cleary his first hit out for the World Cup... He said he waited for the second half to insert himself some more in the direction of play.

Cleary also has the better cohesion with the Yeo at lock, Martin in the second row, as well as basically the whole backline due to their Origin experiences

Just an observation: we've all bagged at various times the over the top cockiness of the panthers players over the last 2-3 years. After the Samoa v Tonga match on Sunday Brian To'o and Jerome Luai went round the perimeter fence of the pitch and chatted to/ shook hands with and had selfies with absolutely anybody who wanted to. I know it may be easy because they won but they probably wanted to be with their team-mates to celebrate getting into a world cup semi final. I had a talk with them and they seemed like genuinely nice blokes. I guess the cockiness comes from playing for the panthers and KNOWING that they are head and shoulders above anyone else.
It may not be popular to like them but, I've always liked the panthers team and appreciated their original personalities.
I understand why some people didn't like Luai suggestively standing over 2 different knocked out players, but I think that's part and parcel for many other players in league these days (not defending that act),
Api Koroisau- post grand final- that was the one time I felt embarrassed for the tigers and league. That to me was too far but, we all have our own unique threshold and I understand far worse has been done by grand final celebrants without any sleep

Daly on the bench? No Leota for NZ?
Is this right, or merely someone guessing? Surely the final sides are locked in by now...

Is this right, or merely someone guessing? Surely the final sides are locked in by now...
Guessing. No way you'd have DCE on the bench instead of a front rower against the forward strength of NZ.

Could Meninga be playing ducks & drakes? It seems highly unlikely that DCE, Grant & Murray are all on the bench v the heavyweight NZ pack. Surely, RCG will be included in the seventeen?

Last edited:
Anyone up already? Im as bad as a kid on Xmas morning.(and it’s only the SF).
Off to Maccas for some bad choice breakfast meals.
I really want a lge Chocolate Sundae as well.
‘But my diabetes has just informed me that if I do take up
that option, there will be a nice diabetic coma coming my way, and you won’t see the game (or any other game in the future if you go the double topping!)
Anyway, I’m off. Be back in a jiffy with some bacon and egg Mc Muffins for kick off.:party:

Australia have played 8 tests at Elland Road in Leeds:

1986 Kangaroo Tour - 2nd Ashes Test v Great Britain. Won 34–4
1990 Kangaroo Tour - 3rd Ashes Test v Great Britain. Won 14–0
1994 Kangaroo Tour - 3rd Ashes Test v Great Britain. Won 23–4
1997 Super League Test Series - 3rd Test v Great Britain. Won 37–20
2004 Tri-Nations Final v Great Britain. Won 44–4
2005 Tri-Nations Final v New Zealand. Lost 0–24
2009 Four Nations Final v England. Won 46–16
2011 Four Nations Final v England. Won 30–8

Our only loss was to New Zealand.....

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14