World club challenge.

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
This Croft from the Storm looks like a goer, Gronk might not be missed that much after all!
I reckon they're not looking too good. Wait till they come up against an nrl side, Smith is carrying them thus far

Rhinos look decent in patches

PRoblem with Rhinos is they defend too hard during the set, overread and then struggle for one or two tackles where they let go of all good work

Storm with the large scoreline because they have size compared to this english side

Last edited by a moderator:
This young bloke replacing Cronk is very handy. They will not lose too much with this bloke replacing Cronk.
Reckon in the future that will be true, although not this early in his career. Lucky to still have smith, although in future as smith is gone, the storm too will largely fade imo

Leeds tired, need that number 13 back on to give stability. Very poor defence. Glasby nearly bulldozed through! lol

The day they decided that it would be a World Club Series with teams other than the two premiers was the day the concept died IMO.

Sure, Manly only won 1 of their 3 WCC games, and sure it was mainly played in England (largely due to the fact that the game was played when they were already into their season after they moved to a summer league), but it was something to look forward to.

I mean, who can get excited over a team finishing 4th or lower in the NRL and then playing in a world club championship series? It should be premiers vs premiers.

Today's World Club Series reminds me too much of the way Super League did it in 1997. Shock horror yet another of the boneheaded SL ideas made it into modern league. Well, we know who won that war don't we.....

I just wished English teams could defend. They have improved physically over the years but their reads are still all over the place, they're a bit dyslexic in defence

This Melbourne side is always well drilled. Their D again was very good. They will be right up there again. Croft is a dead set Cronk clone!

I still say the best way to beat Melbourne is to attack down their right.

Vunivalu may be able to score tries.....but as a defender he makes Nathan Merritt look like Jake Trbojevic. It amazes me that he was ever considered for last years Golden Boot. All the guy can do is score tries. My front yard doesn't have a front fence and I have more faith in it to keep attackers out than I would him.

Edit: I know it may have been against Australia, but did anyone realise that when Valentine Holmes scored his record 6 tries in the WC Semi-final against Fiji.....his direct opponent was Vunivalu? The guy is completely clueless in defence.

Last edited:
After watching last night's game between the Storm and the Rhinos, I can see Melbourne's dirty gamesmanship (Billy "Boot 1st tackle later" Slater) will continue. Slater's dive was almost a stint in the bin worthy it was that obvious.
It was good to see former Manly players Cuthberson have a crack at Melbourne, and Parcell playing a solid game, and that legitimate tackle on Scameron was top notch. Bring on the NRL 2018!
Here in Perth, there is absolutely zero written in the weekend paper "The Weekend West" on the game last night.
There is 4 sentences on Thurston's shoulder heading into tonight's trial. And 5 sentences in relation to a women's competition. That's the only mention of rugby league. AFL has 3 pages worth on updates, stories and results. NFL, Basketball get more page space than league. Come on NRL and do something about it!

I still say the best way to beat Melbourne is to attack down their right.

Vunivalu may be able to score tries.....but as a defender he makes Nathan Merritt look like Jake Trbojevic. It amazes me that he was ever considered for last years Golden Boot. All the guy can do is score tries. My front yard doesn't have a front fence and I have more faith in it to keep attackers out than I would him.

Edit: I know it may have been against Australia, but did anyone realise that when Valentine Holmes scored his record 6 tries in the WC Semi-final against Fiji.....his direct opponent was Vunivalu? The guy is completely clueless in defence.
Ken Irvine couldn't tackle either, but he brought thousands of fans through the gate just to see him run with the ball.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 99 14
7 6 1 54 14
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
7 4 3 49 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 3 4 17 8
8 4 4 -14 8