Working class man - Terry Hill

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
Working class man
ADAM LUCIUS
26feb05
Manly Daily

MANLY international Terry Hill would earn more money working in a clothes shop or digging holes for the local council than playing rugby league if he lands a new contract following tonight's trial against St George Illawarra.

In a remarkable display of passion over money, Hill's unique match-by-match payment system could see him pocket as little as $33,000 if he plays in every one of Manly's 24 matches this year. And every game Hill misses will cost him money.

It puts his annual salary in line with an assistant manager at Lowes menswear - the chain he promotes in television and newspaper advertisements - or a maintenance man with Manly Council.

Manly must pay him the minimum NRL wage of $33,000 and could top that figure up by $5-10,000.

It's a far cry from the days where Hill could demand - and get - in excess of $300,000 for a season's work.

Manly executive director Paul Cummings won't discuss Hill's financial package but confirmed the premiership-winning centre would be one of the lowest paid players at the club.

``This has never been about the money for Terry,'' Cummings said last night.

``He could earn a lot more money working elsewhere but he sees this as a personal challenge. We've been very upfront with him about the contract situation and he knows the score.

``If he does play we'll sit down with him and his manager and arrive at a figure but it won't be big money and he won't be paid at all if he misses a match.''

Hill takes the final step on a journey that started in October when the Sea Eagles meet the Dragons at Albion Park tonight.

If he makes a solid contribution and comes through the game unscathed, the 33-year-old will sit down with coach Des Hasler on Monday to discuss a contract.

Hasler has chosen close to his strongest side for Manly's final trial match.

A number of players are still fighting for positions ahead of next month's premiership kick off against the Warriors.

The backrow is particularly contentious, with up to half a dozen players vying for three spots.

``Our depth is greater than in recent years and there is healthy competition for places in the side,'' Hasler said.

``We'll know a lot more after this last trial match.''

The team is: Brett Stewart, Scott Donald, Chris Hicks, Terry Hill, John Hopoate, Michael Witt, Michael Monaghan, Daniel Heckenberg, Chad Randall, Brent Kite, Sam Harris, Glenn Stewart, Steve Menzies

Interchange: Paul Stephenson, Shayne Dunley, Ben Kennedy, Jason King, Luke Williamson, Kane Cleal, Kylie Leuluai.

Well i would have thought that if he played all games he would earn a reasonable amount, closer to hoppers 90K.

Thats passion for you - i hope it flows through the club

He is worth more than that. Surly he is in better form that some other players and 33 grand isn't worth his chiropractors bill at the end of the season.

he should get at least 50 i think. 33... Thats criminal! Poor bloke could make more money cleaning SBW house.

The Manly Daily said that he was working at Flemington markets starting at 2.00 AM! Anyone know what he does there and for how long??

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4