Wireless Network Advice needed please

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Normie

Bencher
I need to set up a network at home so that I can bring a computer downstairs and see what my kids are doing on the computer.
I have broadband and use a D-Link Ethernet Broadband Router at present. I run 2 computers from this router but need to run another computer.
I really don't want to run cable through the house so thought a Wireless network would be the way to go.
Can you recommend the best way to go?
My brother-in-law reckons that I can just get a wirelss card for the PC that is connected to the router & network from that! My laptop already has a wireless card in it.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

You will need a wireless router.
These days they cost about $100 and do the trick, it is exactly the same as setting up a normal router. If you currently have a router you could get a wireless transmitter and connect it to the router and your computers wireless card will pick up the signal

Oh god no. Anything *BUT* D-Link.

I have had three D-Link routers at different times, two of which were wireless.

They hang with any sustained amount of bandwidth usage and they bite at VPN. They're as configurable as a piece of ****e and worth about as much as one, too.

Linksys is damn good.

Billion is one of those generic brands but a friend of mine got one and loves it. Most of their routers provide good QoS and so on, which is great if you're going to be using VoIP, for example.

Netgear I've never tried. But D-Link, if you're reading this: I'll see you in hell.

I have a billion one and it works a treat. I have no issues with the thing whatsoever. Easy to configure and it wors well

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6