Wingers

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

When all wingers are fit, who will miss out?

• Total voters
Rambo1987 said:
After seeing Oldfield put the speed on in Robbos try against the Bunnies - he needs a place on the team or he will get picked up by another club.

His defense needs to improve, but I guess he was out of position. Our best lineup would be

B.Stewart
Robbo
Lyon
Matai
Hoppa

however we wouldn't really lose much with any combination of the players we have at the moment.

IMO the following 3 are all equal as wingers and all offer something different
1 - Robbo (safe, reliable and can do it all, defense is great attack is great)
2 - Hoppa Just so talented and so powerful and can fit into any where in the backs. He also adds a lot of options in attack
3 - Wolfman The way he returns the ball is one of the best things about his game, makes a few stupid mistakes but makes up for them mostly

Oldfield comes in behind them as another who can slot into centres or wing.

He is first dropped though, hoppa is a walk up start and then it's a cat fight between Robbo and Wolfman

Is Micheal Robertson that guy who plays with Jamie Lyons and Brett and Glenn Stuart?

Seriously though, of the 3 you have mentioned I would have to leave out Wolfman. In my view Robbo is still the most underrated player in the NRL.

The modern game relies heavily on dummy half scoots & Hoppa earns 200 plus - more than anyone at Manly & not far off Gallen plus sensational under the high ball & already a fringe superstar.
Wolf is my other choice based on massive strength to eat up extra ground & a genuine speedster. Example would be when Soward scored Wolf would have caught him 15 - 20 short of the line. Does have a self explode button but i believe thats due to limited football with ongoing injuries effecting his consistency.
Robbo is hard to leave out - brilliant finisher who would be as reliable as any finisher in the game - just unfortunate he has 2 young guns bubbling with talent also in the squad - would be first winger picked at most clubs.

MadMarcus said:
Is Micheal Robertson that guy who plays with Jamie Lyons and Brett and Glenn Stuart?

Seriously though, of the 3 you have mentioned I would have to leave out Wolfman. In my view Robbo is still the most underrated player in the NRL.

Yeah well ummm, that's a typo.

Terry-Randal said:
Too many high quality wingers in our team. Big waste we need a garage sale.
Wolf
Oldfield
Hoppa
Robbo
Trex

Sell two of them and get a couple of forwards for depth.

Hmmm..
Hoppa will be gone for 2 years
Robbo is getting towards the end of his career may consider England an option for a cpl years
Injury and representative duty and you're down to 1 or 2 wingers..

Sell 2 of them and your f**ked.

SwornEagle said:
Terry-Randal said:
Too many high quality wingers in our team. Big waste we need a garage sale.
Wolf
Oldfield
Hoppa
Robbo
Trex

Sell two of them and get a couple of forwards for depth.

Hmmm..
Hoppa will be gone for 2 years
Robbo is getting towards the end of his career may consider England an option for a cpl years
Injury and representative duty and you're down to 1 or 2 wingers..

Sell 2 of them and your f**ked.

and I keep hearing wolfman may be off to the sharks

going to the sharks is career suicide like going to souffs!

don't do it wolfy, i know everyone wants to start but i'd rather be at manly competing for a spot then go to sharks and be garanteed a spot each week. its the competition for spots that keeps you improving

We need to keep Wolfie. Hoppa will be gone for 2 years and in 2 years from now Robbo or even Matai may be ready for England.

Fonz said:
How many times can Wolfs manager say that he's staying and that the rumours are unfounded?

To be honest, I would understand if he went somewhere for the cash. Think about it, he's already won a premiership, played SOO (I think?) and played for Australia. Yes it was all short lived, but there are many great players never to have won a premiership. He could easily be satisfied with that and now chase the money.

I hope he doesn't, if he stays with us he can do all of the above again and this time sustain it IMO.

Well mate he's guaranteed of a start with us next year and maybe also a premiership. But you're right, you couldn't blame him for chasing cash.

robertson and williams on the wing

hoppa,buehrer,rose and rodney on bench.

hoppa could play anywhere in the backline and be used as a strike weapon.i actually think his best position is centre by far with fullback a close second while at this stage of his carreer wolf and robbo are at least his equal in that position and should remain there.des will not want to break that combo in my opinion.

a lot of sides are using back reserves at the moment so it is not a groundbreaking move. TRex has improved markedly but I cant squeeze him into our best 17 at full strength.In big games against dragons and co I still worry re his intensity.An example was his failure to drop on a parra kick after we dominated totally early on,they got a drop out and we lost all momentum.It was an easy get but he showed no urgency.Good player improving but he still worries me when the whips will be cracking at the back end.

At first glance I would have gone for Hoppa and Wolf but having looked over the last 5 games stats Robbo compares favorably to Wolf and when you factor in his reliability over Wolfs occasional error he gets the gig.

Fluffy said:
Hoppa, he is not in our immediate future plans

I disagree Fluffy , Hoppa is defenetly in our immediate plans to win this years premiership , he is the current representative back and he deserves to be in our back line on the wing as well

Some wingers make good second rowers (like Luke Lewis). They have the speed and endurance to play 80 minutes. Forwards coach can toughen them up in defence.

Keep 08 Grand final heroes Robbo and Wolfie in place, bulk up the rest.

Retain our juniors, no need to pay overs by going out searching in the open market.

Toughest call Des will have to make in his coaching career if you ask me. I can't split them, all 3 are quality but all have different attributes. If Hoppa was hanging around next year I think Des would have gone with seniority, but as thats not the case who knows. Maybe it might come down to something like what side of the field Hoppa is more comfortable on? If Des wants him in because of his matchwinning ability then the unlucky player might miss out because the side he is best utilised on?

All that being said, if I had to make the decision I would go for Wolfie to miss out, only because if Hoppa plays on one side that automatically makes the other winger the target for 5th tackles bombs (surely you don't try and take on hoppa) and I'd prefer Robbo to be that player than the Wolfman.

Masked Eagle said:
Toughest call Des will have to make in his coaching career if you ask me. I can't split them, all 3 are quality but all have different attributes. If Hoppa was hanging around next year I think Des would have gone with seniority, but as thats not the case who knows. Maybe it might come down to something like what side of the field Hoppa is more comfortable on? If Des wants him in because of his matchwinning ability then the unlucky player might miss out because the side he is best utilised on?

All that being said, if I had to make the decision I would go for Wolfie to miss out, only because if Hoppa plays on one side that automatically makes the other winger the target for 5th tackles bombs (surely you don't try and take on hoppa) and I'd prefer Robbo to be that player than the Wolfman.

He may have a bigger one soon if Riccardi is as good as everyone is saying...

I couldn't be happier with Foran and DCE, so if Riccardi starts banging the door down where do we put him?

And to think in the early-mid 2000s we were struggling to find 17 players worthy of first grade...

MadMarcus said:
Masked Eagle said:

He may have a bigger one soon if Riccardi is as good as everyone is saying...

I couldn't be happier with Foran and DCE, so if Riccardi starts banging the door down where do we put him?

And to think in the early-mid 2000s we were struggling to find 17 players worthy of first grade...

Reeves,Walker,Williamson and that 5/8 whos doing nothing of any note now,Yawnion last i heard

full stength

1. B.Stewart
2. M.Robertson
3. J.Lyon
4. S.Matai
5. D.Williams
6. K.Foran
7. DCE
8. B.Kite
9. M.Ballin
10. J.King
11. A.Watmough
12. T.Williams
13. G.Stewart

14. J.Buhrer
15. G.Rose
16. J.Guluavao
17. Hoppa (swap hoppa for tony williams, put matai in the second row and hoppa into centre?)

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4