Wingers even more Vital 2023

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
These blokes who didn't have to tackle and simply needed to be fast and cash in on overlaps is long gone.

Defusing various kicks, knowing when to time the outside defensive rush, Ugly hitups, general scoots to create momentum and overall a far more complete footballer than times gone by....in fact the To'o type wingers can be the main game changer in the modern game.

Recent times Defensively our wingers and centres have copped a heap of unfair critisism, after our middles were blown up and comprimised....though defence will show intent from day 1 in 2023 and I expect our coaching staff to improve this area, but may take 4-5 weeks structure wise.

Back to the point I refer to, with the importance of starting sets well.
I noted many games our team seemed to struggle especially against top 4 sides, with the blueprint to kick into corners and basically "bash us up", struggling to get a kick away 30m out from our own end.
Garrick has definitely improved with those tough, ugly runs and Saab was not so upright, which was allowing opposition to dig under and srive him back 10 - 15 metres......and missing Tom here obviously hurt also.
Hopefully Tiptoes can also improve here, as started the season well but dropped off like many others towards seasons end.

Just the importance of the start to sets is Ultra important in the modern game, in setting the platform of momentum and field position, so really hope all can raise the bar and allow us some flow and control, as once we were crippled here and lost field position, there seemed to be a flurry of errors, missed tackles and confidence as a result.

Starting well in sets will be critical in how we compete, especially if up against the top sides who will no doubt again attempt the ambush defensively.

Hoping Manly's wingers can compete with the best and with the call of Garrick to centres a possibility, they will really need to step up in 2023.....my preference is Garrick stays on the wing and gets involved like other top ranking wingers, such is the importance of what a huge impact this will have on games this season and prefer we don't weaken this area.

Vaega is a power runner, in a couple of Blacktown games I saw he skittled defenders in impressive fashion. More likely to get a shot on the wing than Weekes is my guess. Weekes is a talent but probably more suited to fullback, 5/8, or a hybrid Papenhuyzen-type No 14.

These blokes who didn't have to tackle and simply needed to be fast and cash in on overlaps is long gone.

Defusing various kicks, knowing when to time the outside defensive rush, Ugly hitups, general scoots to create momentum and overall a far more complete footballer than times gone by....in fact the To'o type wingers can be the main game changer in the modern game.

Recent times Defensively our wingers and centres have copped a heap of unfair critisism, after our middles were blown up and comprimised....though defence will show intent from day 1 in 2023 and I expect our coaching staff to improve this area, but may take 4-5 weeks structure wise.

Back to the point I refer to, with the importance of starting sets well.
I noted many games our team seemed to struggle especially against top 4 sides, with the blueprint to kick into corners and basically "bash us up", struggling to get a kick away 30m out from our own end.
Garrick has definitely improved with those tough, ugly runs and Saab was not so upright, which was allowing opposition to dig under and srive him back 10 - 15 metres......and missing Tom here obviously hurt also.
Hopefully Tiptoes can also improve here, as started the season well but dropped off like many others towards seasons end.

Just the importance of the start to sets is Ultra important in the modern game, in setting the platform of momentum and field position, so really hope all can raise the bar and allow us some flow and control, as once we were crippled here and lost field position, there seemed to be a flurry of errors, missed tackles and confidence as a result.

Starting well in sets will be critical in how we compete, especially if up against the top sides who will no doubt again attempt the ambush defensively.

Hoping Manly's wingers can compete with the best and with the call of Garrick to centres a possibility, they will really need to step up in 2023.....my preference is Garrick stays on the wing and gets involved like other top ranking wingers, such is the importance of what a huge impact this will have on games this season and prefer we don't weaken this area.
In terms of Garrick i don't see how he can start in the centres until Saab returns from injury.

I'd much prefer to run with Parker in the centres and Garrick on the wing than roll the dice with Garrick and an unproven winger like Vaega.

Vaega seems like he can handle a hit up which is important as you outlined above. But from limited action, he seemed like he would be targeted defensively and by the high ball.

I would be shocked if they didn't start the year with

1. Tom
2. Tupilotu
3. Koula
4. Parker (Harper)
5. Garrick

Vaega seems like he can handle a hit up which is important as you outlined above. But from limited action, he seemed like he would be targeted defensively and by the high ball.
He did make one spectacular catch in one of our trials. But anyway, surely these are the skills that a worthwhile coaching team will be working to develop through the long summer months. Every winger with aspirations to play NRL knows they'll need to master this stuff or remain forever Blacktown.

This. If we change nothing else we need this.

I agree that wingers are vital in today’s game, but what is the next evolution of the game? We can play catch up to compete, or think outside the box and get a jump on our competition.

Last edited:
He did make one spectacular catch in one of our trials. But anyway, surely these are the skills that a worthwhile coaching team will be working to develop through the long summer months. Every winger with aspirations to play NRL knows they'll need to master this stuff or remain forever Blacktown.
Vaega has been spectacular in the air and is a great powerful athlete

We want wingers that can take the ball up with powerful runs and Vaega and Tupilotu are the most Likely

The Best dynamic speedy centre combination that create opportunities are Koula and Garrick by far

1. Tom
2. Tupilotu
3. Koula
4. Garrick
5. Vaega

I agree that wingers are vital in today’s game, but what is the next evolution of the game? We can play catch up to compete, or think outside the box and get a jump on our competition.
It's a great question
Just my opinion, but the teams who can create and hold long periods of momentum at rapid fire speed is the aim.
The counter is really that line speed of a Penrith/Storm team to stifle momentum and borderline offside/time in tackle ect, which in term dictates a game defensively rather than the attack having control
Unfortunately Manly fall well short in both these factors, but have some good general plays to stay in most contest outside Top 4 sides who play at a higher tempo.
To answer your question best, it comes down to combatting that rushing defence and I feel if sides can learn to use an early shift we will not only see many long range tries, but at very least big metres gained and winning momentum with that line speed suddenly compromised as the attack has all the momentum as defence backpeddles and is not on the front foot.
This has risk for errors, but much reward....and personally makes an exciting spectacle rather than 4 - 5 hit ups then kick with the occasional 2nd man shift play.

Tom to wing
Weekes to fullback!!!

1. Weekes
2. Koula
3. Tuipulotu
4. Garrick
5. Tom

Angela Lansbury Popcorn GIF

Last edited:
In A Perfect world we clone 5 Tom's and make him "Injury Free"
Some interesting stats from 2018:
IMO, there's no point in using Tom to gain us an extra 100m a game through hit ups and kick returns if it means we are a higher percentage of losing him at the back end of the season.
I hope Seibold has the smarts to sit Tom down and explain to him that it shouldn't be his job to fill in wherever the team is lacking. He should be focusing on creating and taking try scoring opportunities, not bailing the forwards out when they start to fade.

Some interesting stats from 2018:
IMO, there's no point in using Tom to gain us an extra 100m a game through hit ups and kick returns if it means we are a higher percentage of losing him at the back end of the season.
I hope Seibold has the smarts to sit Tom down and explain to him that it shouldn't be his job to fill in wherever the team is lacking. He should be focusing on creating and taking try scoring opportunities, not bailing the forwards out when they start to fade.
^^^^^^
Bloody well said!!!

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4