Willo going to England

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

ConcernedSupporter

Reserve Grader
Am I the only one who didn't know about this??

It's a pity, I know a few of you on here don't rate the bloke - but he has been a solid player for a long time.

Sorry had a brain fart here is the story taken from

http://manly-daily.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/london-calls-willo/

WHEN Luke Williamson arrived at Brookvale six years ago, the club was in financial ruin, struggling to survive.

Rumours of the place shutting its doors were not far off the mark, but in the end Manly survived as the Northern Eagles joint-venture disintegrated.

“It’s been a massive turnaround since then,” Williamson said yesterday after confirming rumours he’s off to play in England for the next two seasons.

“It helps with great financial backers like Max Delmege and then Scott Penn (joint owners).

“Money makes a massive difference. Their contribution into the club has made Manly a force within the NRL today.”

Not withstanding the contribution by Williamson himself.

The hard-working backrower is the type of player every club needs and every Sea Eagle loves to play alongside.

Williamson, who started his NRL career with the now defunct Adelaide Rams in 1997, will join the London Harlequins following Manly’s finals campaign next month.

The 30-year-old forward moved to the northern beaches via Canberra (1999-2001) in 2002, cementing himself as an invaluable player in his second season.

“When I first came here I had played five-eighth one year then moved into the forwards and I established myself nicely there,” Williamson said.

“My time here has just got better and better, culminating very nicely last year with the grand final.

“Hopefully we can do one better this year.”

Williamson is the fourth Sea Eagle to announce a move to Europe at the end of the season following Steven Bell (Catalans), Steve Menzies (Bradford) and Mark Bryant (Celtic).

But Manly have already signed Parramatta’s Tony Williams, Knights utility Chris Bailey and are expected to add Panthers backrower Shane Rodney to their 2009 roster.

The Sea Eagles are tipped to beat off challenges from the Dragons and Bulldogs to secure Rodney who played for City in 2005.

Saw this in "The Manly Daily" this morning. I thought he was signed for another year (I could be wrong - I'm playing with a concussion), which would mean he's been allowed to go to free up room and allow him to cash in on a better deal. As I said to the wife this morning, "I can't remember the last time he did anything brilliant but I'll miss him all the same." He's always done his best for the Eagles and I get the impression he's an excellent club man. And his comedy hairstyle has always been good for morale.

As the article said, he's the guy you want in your team.  You can't have a team full of superstars.  I'll miss Willo he never stops giving 100% even if some people thinks it's not good enough, and i dont care if people are glad to see him go either.  In this team game if one player doesn't work then the team fails.  We got to the GF with Willo so he's got to be doing something right.

Ron E. Gibbs link said:
Saw this in \"The Manly Daily\" this morning. I thought he was signed for another year (I could be wrong - I'm playing with a concussion), which would mean he's been allowed to go to free up room and allow him to cash in on a better deal.

Signed for two years, but the club always maintained that they would release him if he got a better deal elsewhere.

Has been bloody good for us

SHould be remembered as a bloke who came to us when we are at rock bottom and worked damn hard for the club, and was part of the foundation that allowed us to rebuild to where we are now

I agree that Willo has been a good and loyal servant of the club.  His attack was always limited but his defense will be missed.  Hopefully he can depart with a grand final winners ring.  Maybe the departed will steel themselves for a superhuman effort.  One thing, I've been watching a lot of ESL and it appears to be a faster game than here.  I hope he can adjust and get those legs running a little quicker than he does for us. 

Thanks Willo! I real character of the club and always gave 110%. Never had a bad game (from memory).

All the best in the future!

One of the genuine funny blokes in league.....I already miss his talent on Extra Time....when are you starting that again Pepsi?

yeah on facebook all the time, still chasing tail

Spoke to Willo last night - said that his injury is fairly bad and might only play if we make the GF.

Sad to see him go out that way!

Na, leave the night for Beaver UP

Even Orfords 200th has been swept away in Beaver fever

Leave the other 3 blokes til week 1 of the finals and give them a mention there

I always thought Willo would go ok in the media after football, genuinly likable guy and has a great head for radio. You look at a lot of the guys who are in the media now and they're hopeless, A Johns comes to mind as someone who was great on the field but has no idea about commentary etc. Willo was on that internet Fox program quite a bit and came across really well imo.

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Has been bloody good for us

SHould be remembered as a bloke who came to us when we are at rock bottom and worked damn hard for the club, and was part of the foundation that allowed us to rebuild to where we are now

Well said K E

You always know with Willo what you will get. About 40 tackles and 100%. He does the work quietly and he is only noticed when missing. His attacking impact is not great but he has never shirked. He won clubman of the year one or two years ago if I remember correctly.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4