Willie Mason and Salary caps:

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Im not sure how many guys on this site buy FHM but there is an article this month talking to Willie Mason about the new season. I wont go into it in detail but there is a point I would particularly like to raise regarding something he said in his article that relates to the salary cap however not mentioned in that context.

In one of his questions he was asked about what he thinks of the Willie Mason Wigs that were being sold to people entering the stadium. He replys by saying that he recieves 20% of all sales from the products. I was wondering wether you guys think this would be disclosed to the NRL in his contract? Whats your opinion on these types of payments being paid to players considering the risk involved with such payments and the possible breach of the salary cap being so easy using such methods of payment.

I have no problem with any player using their image to maximise their earning potential.

The question is should the sale of Mason wigs be part of the salary cap? How would you include an amount for this in a salary cap. The total sales would not be known in advance and you could only provide an estimate.

The salary cap probably breaches restraint of trade laws in any case. The salary cap itself is flawed, but is a necessary evil in the NRL.

And the players association is set to launch a legal challenge if the cap isnt raised and thats based on the restraint of trade principle.

It will be a pity if the cap is successfully challenged. Either a cap or a draft is needed as otherwise we end up like English Soccer with the same two teams near the top every year.

That we have had 7 teams win in the last seven years and 12 out of 15 pay in a GF in the last 10 seasons is testament to that.

Good point Flip.

I think they should look into it especially if there sold at the ground or by the Bullwogs.

If they are sold by the bulldogs then wouldn't it be for the bulldogs gain not Wille Mason. I realise he is getting a cut but the majority of the profit is the big picture. In my opinion it would be alot different if the dogs were selling them and giving Mason all of the profits. I reckon Mason is entitled to the royalties.

Look at it this way. Players open accounts in a business name (Willie Mason Pty Limited) for example. That business is allowed to market their own profile, and make revenue for themselves. The clubs sometimes have nothing to do with it. It's like someone having a second job.

If he was making that much money out of it why did he cut his hair short in year or 2 ago?

If he was making that much money out of it why did he cut his hair short in year or 2 ago?
because he then sold his name to willie mason cocaine & alcohol pty ltd ,& it made more cash than the wigs..

I think you are all missing the point.

What I want to know is this. Why was Flip READING THE ARTICLES in FHM????

8)

Look at it this way. Players open accounts in a business name (Willie Mason Pty Limited) for example. That business is allowed to market their own profile, and make revenue for themselves. The clubs sometimes have nothing to do with it. It's like someone having a second job.

As you say Ryan it would be like assessing the money Joey made out of his dvd sales

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7