Willie Bishop

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Canteen Worker

First Grader
I noticed in yesterday's Manly Daily article that it quoted Willie Bishop as playing for Manly this year.

Does anyone know anything about this? If it has happened it certainly was missed by me. Might explain the announcement that Mitch Creary has retired.

Bishop was a young Warrior and moved to the Roosters if I am not mistaken.

Anyone know anything??

Manly will take a good mixture of NRL and Premier League players to Rockhampton under coaches Dennis Moore and Geoff Toovey.

Several newcomers will make their debuts for Manly in the trial.

These include smart utility back from the Roosters Willie Bishop, ex-Canterbury backrower Jason Wells, former Canberra Raiders winger Michael Robertson and big Roosters prop George Rose.

Mentioned in the article on the front page, which is a good read incidently. Bishop's signing (if he has signed) has certainly slipped under the radar but may explain why Mitch suddenly has business interests (that will probably allow him to play for the Marlins!!!!)

Willie Bishop didn't play for the Roosters last year he played for Asquith in the Jim Beam Cup. He played fullback.

He was trialling for the North Sydney Bears Premier League squad at the start of 2005 but he didn't make the final cut.

Just checked a bit of his profile. Born in Feb 82, about 180 cms and 82 kgs. Very fast and lots of talent.

Played for Warriors, went to Rorters but released at end of 2004. Was in Norths PL Squad.

Will be very interesting to see how he goes. He was the next big thing about three years ago.

The next big thing at the age of 21 and then fast forward >>>> to age 24 and heard/seen nothing in that time...........hmmmm, sounds to me like non footy issues may have played a part in this era of non success.

Lets hope he aims high this year & finds outstanding form.

From MSE

The next big thing ... now, where the hell is he?
By Steve Mascord and Brad Walter
January 31 2003

A 21-year-old unknown at the beginning of this week has become rugby league's hottest property and yesterday went AWL when the Warriors tried to call him up for the World Sevens.

New Zealand Maori star Willie Bishop has attracted the interest of up to six NRL clubs since he scored four tries in Wednesday's Sevens qualifying tournament at St Marys.

A Warriors scholarship holder who played his first game of league two years ago, Bishop was approached by Penrith after scoring a hat-trick against the Coogee Dolphins in his first match of the tournament.

Then came overtures from Newcastle and last night a member of the Maori management made representations on his behalf to Manly. But when Warriors coach Daniel Anderson called to draft him into this weekend's $100,000 tournament, Maori officials told them they didn't know where Bishop was.

Within days, the NZ touch football representative should have an agent and be the target of a bidding auction. "We think he's got a big future," said NZ Maori manager Rudi Taylor.

He played for Asquith last year. So I have some inside info.

He's a good bloke, Christian non drinker. He's a fullback that's got the Benji sidestep, with great flair and very quick

But

Very, very ordinary defender, with a crook shoulder! :(

He played for Asquith last year. So I have some inside info.

He's a good bloke, Christian non drinker. He's a fullback that's got the Benji sidestep, with great flair and very quick

But

Very, very ordinary defender, with a crook shoulder! :(
/A few posters (including moi) have been reprimanded by one of the 'true supporters' on MSE for daring to suggest that the policy of signing players with questionable pasts (if that is true) though I think the main idea is that Willie will be worth a go! :wall:

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4