Will the NRL learn from this....

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
The quality of football during daylight hours is far superior, and the fans obviously want afternoon matches judging by the 40,000 at today's match.

So, will the Independent Commission do what's best for the game and its fans by taking control of scheduling and maximise the number of afternoon matches next season, or...
will they drop their pants and bend over again and allow the TV networks total control?

Sure, they won't get as much $ if the NRL takes back control, but for the good of the game the NRL must be the masters, and the broadcasters must be the ones taking the orders.

Will $ win out? Unfortunately I think it is almost certain.

If history is any guide the NRL will do exactly what the TV networks tell them to do. Quality football takes second place to TV ratings in the minds of the games overlords.

The last time media rights were negotiated gallop (via News Ltd) was in control. This time the CEO reports to the IC who have independant members setting the direction & overseeing the progress.

I think their is every reason to be optimistic about the negotiations this time.

The Who said:
The quality of football during daylight hours is far superior, and the fans obviously want afternoon matches judging by the 40,000 at today's match.

So, will the Independent Commission do what's best for the game and its fans by taking control of scheduling and maximise the number of afternoon matches next season, or...
will they drop their pants and bend over again and allow the TV networks total control?

Sure, they won't get as much $ if the NRL takes back control, but for the good of the game the NRL must be the masters, and the broadcasters must be the ones taking the orders.

Something I had never considered but was pointed out by TK on Big Sports Breakfast is that whoever gets the tv deal is essentially the biggest "sponsor" of the game due to the sheer amount of money they invest. Why wouldn't they want control of when to play the games.
I don't agree with this, but if the league wants the money they have to give the "sponsor" the best opportunity to maximise their investment. In this case it is ad revenue, rather than exposure that other sponsors want.

tugga8 said:
The Who said:

Something I had never considered but was pointed out by TK on Big Sports Breakfast is that whoever gets the tv deal is essentially the biggest "sponsor" of the game due to the sheer amount of money they invest. Why wouldn't they want control of when to play the games.
I don't agree with this, but if the league wants the money they have to give the "sponsor" the best opportunity to maximise their investment. In this case it is ad revenue, rather than exposure that other sponsors want.

That's what I hope doesn't happen. I hope the Independent Commission puts the game before the dollar in order to control the destiny of rugby league. Broadcasters have given us Brisbane every Friday night, Monday night football and matches played at inconvenient times for fans. Surely 15 or the 16 clubs don;t want this to continue.
In my opinion, TV (especially Pay TV) needs rugby league more than the other way around.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2