Will Manly beat the storm?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

byso

First Grader
After watching both games Friday night I'm concerned we are going to get carved up by Inglis and Folau. I think our forwards are better than the Storm but their backs are better.

Can anyone convince us how Manly will win this game?

Mate, I reckon our flanks are much better than they were last time we played, and to me, that is where they get us.

Glenn Stewart now can roam either side of the ruck, and to me, he is like the glue in this team.

There are a few things going for us in this game IMO:-

1. Brookvale Oval;
2. A wounded Eagle. They have beaten us way too much the past few games (Grand Final, Trial, earlier game this year);
3. We have improved, and have much more diversity in attack - even from the earlier game this year. Glenn Stewart @ Lock is a master piece;
4. Aggression. When teams up the ante, and we have Choc, Matai & Perry on the field, we now seem to fire right back. Add to that an angry little streak I've seen in G Stewart lately, and I love it;
5. Des Hasler. To me, Des has out foxed some pretty damned good coaches this year. In previous years, it was primarily about focusing on us...but nowadays, we are much better than that.
6. Diversity. Ballin, Le'Strange - we are like two completely different teams in the same night...both awesome. Cuthbo, G Stewart & Beaver also add an extra dimension to our attack.
7. To me, a few players like Smith, Hoffman and co. have been a little flat, and are doing what they must to get through. Yeah they are winning, but we may shock them.
8. We haven't hit our peak...by a long way in my opinion. You can see glimpses of what we can REALLY do in patches (example - first 25 minutes against The Sharks at Shark Park). We play like that for 80, and we'd win 30 odd to NIL.
9. Representative football. We all know how BelLAMEy left all our players out of his rep footy teams, and that Melbourne's management consider us WOManly. The only way for our players to change that perception, is by winning, and by winning well....and I reckon the players know that. They will have a point to prove. G Stewart will want an Australian spot over Johnson. B Stewart over Slater etc etc etc. I reckon these guys are going to dig in, and do it for each other.
10. They say it doesn't matter, and they are not thinking about it, but Des is a perfectionist. He wants the "Coach of the Year", he wants to be a rep coach, and the team as a whole want and require the minor premiership whether they say so or not.

For these reasons, and probably many more, I reckon we can win mate.

I also reckon it may be a time to call a few X players (BK for example) into the sheds to re-iterate how important this game is for the future prospects, and perception of our team and players (not that they probably already don't know this).

I also think it's a vital game for attitude SHOULD we meet in the GF.

The most simple reason we can win is that sport often follows patterns that are very hard to break, and 1 of those is that Melbourne haven't had any success at Brookvale since 99

Also was a comment made on friday night that Manly have had a ring around this date for a very long time, we will be fired up

Also, most importantly, i rate our forward pack far higher than theirs

If we are at our best and they are at their best, they win.
If we are at our best and they are a bit off we win. Lets hope for the latter

In many ways this is not the game that we need to win. September is much more important. We have to get to the Grand Final first and then we have to come up with a way to beat them, assuming (as most do) that they get there.

Whilst we lost the last game for the first 25 mins we went with them. Many think we have improved and are much stronger. Some think they are weaker than last year.

What is most important to me is that we come out of this game still with the belief that we can beat them. Injuries, belief, composure and will to win will be vital. It would be good to win but I have memories of 2001 when I watched Parra live as they carved up Newcastle about 40 nil and then five weeks later saw them smashed in the GF. We must never lose sight that the Premiership is the ultimate prize and this is just another game!  Minor premiership doesn't mean much!!!

I agree with Canteen. Next week is not a must win game and I will be more than pleased if we just have a good strong showing, win or lose.

So long as we know we can compete, it will put us in good stead to win when it really counts. Another win for them also makes them that little bit more complacent.

Canteen Worker link said:
In many ways this is not the game that we need to win. September is much more important. We have to get to the Grand Final first and then we have to come up with a way to beat them, assuming (as most do) that they get there.

Whilst we lost the last game for the first 25 mins we went with them. Many think we have improved and are much stronger. Some think they are weaker than last year.

What is most important to me is that we come out of this game still with the belief that we can beat them. Injuries, belief, composure and will to win will be vital. It would be good to win but I have memories of 2001 when I watched Parra live as they carved up Newcastle about 40 nil and then five weeks later saw them smashed in the GF. We must never lose sight that the Premiership is the ultimate prize and this is just another game!  Minor premiership doesn't mean much!!!

I agree CW you are right. But at the same time i would like to see us take out the Minor Premiership and the financial benefit for our club would great.

My opinion is that our forwards are about 10- 20% better than theirs at both teams best and if our bench performs they are also better than theirs
Des will not have to say much to them at all I reckon this week,
Maybe a media ban this week will keep their minds a lot more focused

Utility Player link said:
If we are at our best and they are at their best, they win.
If we are at our best and they are a bit off we win. Lets hope for the latter

Totally agree, I think this is a big game for both clubs and the big thing for us is it's not often that oppositions play their best footy at Brookie.

Our forwards can match them,my worry is if they attack williams side we'll get carved up as he tends to come in off his wing.He & bell need to get it together out wide. 

Pontian has the key.  Our forwards will better theirs and some of our backs are superior.  But our compressed defense has me worried.  It was an obvious problem when we played Parra and then exposed with the rorters.  Slater must be closed down before he runs wide or else Williams doesn't have the smarts to get him.  This is the game for Orford to step up and surprise me with some decision in attack.  If we can contain Slater and Orford does the job he's paid half a million dollars to do, then we win. 

If you notice guys...the teams that beat Melbourne, out aggression them so to speak. When they are a little rattled, they lift the aggression piece, and those that just try and match them during this period, are the one's that generally get rolled.
Look at their game in the Club Championship. THey started getting beaten, then all of a sudden their players started to niggle, push, and they lifted in energy. The UK club, then not only matched that aggression, but added to it...and Melbourne didn't like that one bit.

In my opinion, we need to get some really big balls this weekend, and show that we are in there for a fight. If Brett Stewart is knocked, don't just all stand around looking lost...look for Crocker, and belt the **** out him !!

We need to show them that they need to fear us.

I disagree with some of the posters, this is a game we have to win.

Why? Because it legitimises the trophy (yes, we are the best team for the year), as being beaten by the storm twice during regular season means the trophy is more theirs than ours, it also gives them a great deal of confidence.

I know the minor premiership sort of means nothing to many but before the finals were introduced it was everything.

In that context then this match is a grand final. The Storm are now a handful of F/A points behind and 2 competiton points. A strong win by them might see them get the Minor Premiership and they'll take that confidence into the finals.

Don't mistake it, this match is huge, for building confidence for the finals and securing the Minor Premiership.

The Minor Premiership is the yellow jersey going into the finals series, it has impact and commands respect!

Ryan link said:
In my opinion, we need to get some really big balls this weekend, and show that we are in there for a fight. If Brett Stewart is knocked, don't just all stand around looking lost...look for Crocker, and belt the F**k out him !!

We need to show them that they need to fear us.

I agree, but lets not be reactive, but proactive. Smash that crocko****e purely as  a preemptive strike.

Put the big bomb up and zero in ... play the man, not the ball like he did. That incident still angers me. If Stewart leaped up to catch the ball Crocker would have been sent from the field.

The first 20 minutes will be the key, we need to get at least an equal share of possession in that time and hopefully some crowd assisted penalties. In the first round clash Melbourne dominated possession and filed possession. By the time we got the ball we were stuffed.

Ok I think we CAN win, but.....I don't think we WILL.

I know it sounds harsh but I can see the storm getting the better of the boys again this week.

Not that its bad thing - another loss to Melbourne and the agression and will to win would be at its highest point for when we play them in the GF.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6