Will DCE take a pay-cut?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Plan for the rich to sacrifice more than the vulnerable in NRL player pay-cuts
The NRL and its players will push for a tiered pay-cut system to ensure those on minimum wage and low-value contracts aren't as severely impacted by the reduction in salaries amid the coronavirus pandemic.

Some of the highest-paid players in the NRL, including Knights prop David Klemmer, are willing to sacrifice more than the rest to ensure the low-income players aren't vulnerable in times of great uncertainty.

The NRL's salary cap rules state that the top 26 paid players in the top 30 squad have a minimum wage of $100,000. Players 27-30 in the squad can earn $75,000, while development players are paid $60,000 each.

"We have to look after those guys who aren't on massive contracts - a lot of them are the single income in their families too," Klemmer told The Herald.

"Nobody wants to earn less than what they get, because we all make decisions around what we think we will earn - but this situation is completely different.

"It's about making sure guys who are going to struggle living day to day are looked after. They are more important than the people who might have to cut back on the extra repayments they put on their house."

NRL executives on Wednesday held a video conference with the RLPA, including directors Cameron Smith, Daly Cherry-Evans and Wade Graham, to provide an update on the game's financial position and outline the grim outlook confronting the sport.

The NRL warned its players that if they didn't return to the field in 2020, there would be serious question marks over whether the competition would exist in 2021 without the financial assistance of the players in the form of pay cuts.

The players are set to agree to substantial pay cuts in the coming days, with suggestions that they are willing to take their annual leave for the next two weeks and then take around 50 per cent for the next two months.
While no figures have yet been discussed between the two parties, there is mutual support for a sliding scale that would minimise the impact on the game's low-income players.

RLPA boss Clint Newton sent a message to all players after the video conference, which hinted that those on smaller contracts would be considered the priority.
"It’s clear that the game has been significantly impacted by this global pandemic – as have a number of industries around the world," Newton wrote.

"These are incredibly desperate times for the game, and we are no doubt in a difficult place. The reality is that player payments will be significantly affected, and salaries will have to be reduced to get us through this financial year.
"We need to keep doing everything we can to ensure the game survives. The RLPA and players are committed to supporting those most vulnerable within our membership and will do everything they can to provide protection and clarity through these times."

The RLPA held urgent meetings with delegates from each of the 16 clubs on Wednesday afternoon, with more detail surrounding the pay-cut plan to be discussed again on Thursday.
The NRL, which is still waiting on commitments from its broadcast partners, is desperate to have a decision from the RLPA by April 1 to fast-track the game's financial planning.

"We are in unbelievably, uncertain times," NRL chief executive Todd Greenberg told the players in a video message on Wednesday.
"I appreciate that will have an impact on you and your families. Clint and I had some open and honest dialogue. Some of them are difficult conversations.
"The only way we can keep rugby league going and to strive and aspire in the next cycle is to continue to have hard conversations now for the greater good of the future. A lot of people in the outside rugby league world will be looking for us to fracture. We won’t do that."
The RLPA will be in dialogue with its players on Thursday before a board meeting later that night that could determine the pay-cut percentage the players take.

"We are going to take care of our people," Newton said in the video message alongside Greenberg. "People are everything in this industry. You’re going to need to trust us and trust the relationship will stay solid between us the clubs and the NRL. That’s the only way we will get through this."

id rather klemmer & his comments than a.f.b. (unless he has had a change of heart)

It will most likely effect every player equally imo....whatever ratio the cap drops is how much each player will be effected.
I can’t see a player personally picked out to lose more than the next, so with DCE, he will lose more than most players, but only due to the fact he is rightfully on a higher salary and as the best halfback....he should be.
almost like being in a higher earning tax bracket, you pay higher taxes.

Thomo has already come out and said he's happy to take a 'pay-cut' and I am sure there are others in our team willing to do so.

But will DCE?

Remember when the sh-t hit the fan about his apparent refusal to train unless he had an increase that alienated him from the Stewart's, Choc , Foran and Mattai?

So DCE, what are you prepared to do for the club as it's captain?

Yes, you probably have massive mortgages to pay on your investment properties and your share portfolio has diminished substantially of late. What are you prepared to do as a leader of our club to help those almost on the basic wage in the club and without a job and those support staff who have been let go and now have to join the Centrelink queue?

How are you going to lead this club by setting an example to others who will also have to compromise their lifestyle as many in the community have had to do?

And not just DCE, but all the players on huge salaries in our club. What are they prepared to compromise for other players in this unprecedented time so the lower paid players can at least afford to feed, clothe and care for their families?

I'm not just pointing the finger at DCE but all the players, How strong is the unity really? How much do they really care about each other or is it just a 'dog eat dog' culture at Manly?
Mate some valid thoughts but this is just like a Daily Smellygraph beatup clickbait peice of crap.

Wouldnt have been better to title it as 'what will the playing group do? Take a pay cut?'

You have gone hard at DCE then at the bottom say 'it's not just him'.

We as manly fans are better than this. ..

The players are payed to play football,they are not playing football.Everyone is hurting ,why shouldn't these primadonna's ?

A little research before attacking the character of DCE would have been appropriate ...

My understanding is that the players are part of a collective bargaining agreement with the NRL ... so any salary reductions will be approved between the RLPA and the NRL/Clubs ... and individual players will not be in a position to refuse ....

Players can be noble and say they will take a pay cut ... and that is good ... but realistically they have no individual choice ....

Further more any hopes that a reduction in the salary cap for next year will see a "reduction" in DCE's salary are probably hopeful ... whilst he may be paid less ... I would suggest his salary would still represent the same % of the cap ...

What is it with the DCE bashing? I dont get. If we could use his take of our salary cap on another half, who would we take? How many other clubs would pay what are for him?

In hindsight (IMHO) we should have got rid of Watmough and Foran earlier, paid DCE what he asked for (quite a bit less then he is now) and kept Gift by paying enough so NRL allowed us to keep. He was physically shot but would have been good for team moral.

Hindsight is great in these situations.!!!!

I think DCE is a lot more mature and has a bit more understanding than he did earlier in his career
He will do what he has too , He will be better advised and be able to think for himself nowadays as he would have learnt out of that circus he went through

Notice that the AF L have mentioned the most likely pay arrangement will be a certain percentage of pay reduction by May the 31 st and then based on number of games played . Will have to look at the worst case scenario as well as the best for the N R L . Probably still a fair chance that the comp will be resumed latter on this year and then a cash flow again but if not , will also have to have the contingency plan for the interim until next season . Seems to be a good degree of goodwill and realism so far with the necessary pay cuts but really imperative for a satisfactory outcome and with some flexibility thrown into the mix no doubt . .

Any salary cut will be done across the board , with an equal amount ( percentage ).

It will affect all equally as you live to what you earn, and that’s just human nature.

Had a strong game against the roosters i thought & propably the kickoff to his season.He deserves it after that performance as for a pay cut he’s pretty understanding when it comes to things like that wouldn’t surprise me if he does.

Why not a deferred payment scheme?

The players agree to a 50% reduction in their wages until COVID is over, then are paid the remaining 50% once the game is back up & running.

It would leave a lot less in the trough for the parasites at the top & their superbowl junkets, but hey, in hard times everyone has to make sacrifices.

This system should see them play 50% more games as well in That year so everyone has the coin to pay them .

I read that Shoddy Greenturd is on a salary of $1.2-Million . . .
that makes Ben Hunt's $1-M a season sound good value!

You kidding aren't ya,
You have to be kidding me, where on earth do you get off mate, seriously making a comment like that....I shake my head in absolute bewilderment

Lets be real here, it bloody makes Ben Hunt's $1m a season Contract a master piece, a work of brilliance in comparison the best negotiated Dragons contract in the history of sport :talking::talking::talking::talking:.
And by all accounts the Dragons are probably thinking they got him cheap, compared to Greenturd good value would have been $3m a season:talking:
:p

For those of who thought I was pointing the finger directly at DCE, I draw your attention to my last paragraph.

“I'm not just pointing the finger at DCE but all the players, How strong is the unity really? How much do they really care about each other or is it just a 'dog eat dog' culture at Manly?”

DCE just unfortunately has a historical reputation over two instances and it is probably why he was front and centre of the Daily Telegraph’s back page article today, even though he was just one of many of the players criticising the NRL for their apparent waste or misspending of revenue.

My concern is mainly for the players on the significantly lower contracts who basically cannot afford a pay decrease, as they have financial commitments just to exist.

Given the NRL’s lock down procedures, things like rent, a mortgage and trying to put food on the table for their families, they can’t really get another wage to support their families due to the lockdown.

Yes, we all live within our means and you adapt as best you can and if you are lucky enough to be on $1M a year, you tend to live within that lifestyle through investments and maybe negative gearing and you have those commitments however, the guys on big money can all get relief with the government initiatives if they have investment properties that are negatively geared. So yes, they’ll take a hit but we are all taking a hit, some much more than others.

In my case (and I assure you I’m not a hero), I have reduced my wage to that of our staff and my staff have agreed to a 20% wage cut due to the significant downturn in business (yes my wage reduction is to theirs after their agreement) so I can keep them employed. We talked about what they can afford and what was the minimum they could be comfortable with to live on. Realistically, it could probably have been somewhat lower however, I need to know that the stress of my staff at this time is reduced to the absolute minimum it possibly can be, so when this ‘**** situation’ all turns around, there’s no dissention among the employees and everyone is engaged on working on making the business better and we are still the team that we were and hopefully even stronger.

That was the point I was trying to make. If the players all work together to help each other it will make them a much stronger team.

That was the point I was trying to make. If the players all work together to help each other it will make them a much stronger team.

Mate , I am sure you are well intentioned ... but you need to do some homework ...

1) DCE was qouted because he is officially on the RLPA's negotiating team ... he is in the room bargaining with the NRL ... and his outraage was not at the pay cuts .. but the fact that $10 million is missing from the players retirement fund ....

2) It has been stated 100times that a sliding scale of cuts will be implemented to protect the lower paid players

3) The players are all part of a collective bargaining agreement with the NRL ... so no player .. including DCE ... has any independence of action .... all will need to comply with the agreement once made .....

So you can drop off DCE ... not that you were anyway ...

For those of who thought I was pointing the finger directly at DCE, I draw your attention to my last paragraph.

“I'm not just pointing the finger at DCE but all the players, How strong is the unity really? How much do they really care about each other or is it just a 'dog eat dog' culture at Manly?”

DCE just unfortunately has a historical reputation over two instances and it is probably why he was front and centre of the Daily Telegraph’s back page article today, even though he was just one of many of the players criticising the NRL for their apparent waste or misspending of revenue.

My concern is mainly for the players on the significantly lower contracts who basically cannot afford a pay decrease, as they have financial commitments just to exist.

Given the NRL’s lock down procedures, things like rent, a mortgage and trying to put food on the table for their families, they can’t really get another wage to support their families due to the lockdown.

Yes, we all live within our means and you adapt as best you can and if you are lucky enough to be on $1M a year, you tend to live within that lifestyle through investments and maybe negative gearing and you have those commitments however, the guys on big money can all get relief with the government initiatives if they have investment properties that are negatively geared. So yes, they’ll take a hit but we are all taking a hit, some much more than others.

In my case (and I assure you I’m not a hero), I have reduced my wage to that of our staff and my staff have agreed to a 20% wage cut due to the significant downturn in business (yes my wage reduction is to theirs after their agreement) so I can keep them employed. We talked about what they can afford and what was the minimum they could be comfortable with to live on. Realistically, it could probably have been somewhat lower however, I need to know that the stress of my staff at this time is reduced to the absolute minimum it possibly can be, so when this ‘**** situation’ all turns around, there’s no dissention among the employees and everyone is engaged on working on making the business better and we are still the team that we were and hopefully even stronger.

Have you watched any games from a Des Hasler Manly team ?

To question our players unity and passion is totally way of the mark feathered friend

It is an insult to our coach , our players

The Passion Personified Manly Sea eagles !
manly_celebration_190727_ar_242.jpg

I'm stunned by some of the reactions from those getting stuck into DCE again (not on this site), because of his challenge of the NRL and its use of monies. The old 'greed ' issue and his backing out of the Titan's deal is again being pushed in certain media and media response areas.

DCE is acting for the players in his role where he has taken on the administration over monies that had been secretly diverted away from a retirement fund for players. They were like employers failing to pay super contributions. He wasnt doing it solely for himself. He was representing the players, and its obvious because he is smarter than most of his fellow footballers and a better communicator that he should take on that role. But instead I read an article and some related comments (not from this site) criticising him and making out it was for his benefit alone. Typical ovine oafs, following what ever is reported as factual and doing the old witch hunt game. Fair dinkum, some people need a lobotomy...and that's after they are tarred and feathered.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2