Why Manly thrive and will continue to

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

simon64

Bencher
Premium Member
Tipping Member
Unlike some other clubs (cough cough dogs cough) Manly identify and develop talent.

Look at our side.

B Stewart....kid, talent but identified and developed by Manly
G Tafua....raw but the signs look good.
J Lyon......established quality rep player
S Matai....one club man. Developed by Manly.
D Williams....playing park footy. Next thing you know, he's an international.
K Foran....home grown
DCE.....QLD cup. From obscurity to international.
G Stewart...signed with Brett. Drag queens passed on Brett because Gift, evidently, wasn't up to scratch.
Choc.....Local junior developed by Manly.
T-Rex....going nowhere at Parra. Developed into an international by Manly.
B Kite....established first grader who I think had played for Australia
M Ballin....one club man.
J King....local junior to representative player

The point is WE IDENTIFY TALENT AND DEVELOP IT. We have a bunch of local juniors. We don't do like some others and eye the talent developed by other clubs. Yes, we bought Killer and Kite, but that's hardly a first grade side.

When BK came to Manly, all the media wanted to do was talk about his battles with injury. (Remember the nickname...the tampon..in one week out for three) We all know what a legend he was.

Manly have developed into a great side. Not just gone shopping. Ironic given the label of the 70's.

Correct Simon what worries me is it was all developed by Des and Crusher.

Jamie Buhrer - Went through the manly system - City rep
Michael Oldfield - Went through the system - Under 20s Aus Winger
Dean Whare - From Dragqueens where his options where limited a few games in 2010 - 2011 and he gets a gig in the Under 20,s NZ Squad.

The list goes on !

mickqld said:

True but that is going to be our next big test, hopefully Tooves and Dave Warwick can continue the success. Warwick was the one that brought Foz though not Crusher :)

Look the way I look at it, if the player debuted 1st grade for your club, then you developed them. Bulldogs have 2 - Barba and Reynolds.

The rest have been bought from other clubs. Since $BW walked out they have bought the following players/staff -

Hannant
Kimmorley
Ennis
Stagg
Eastwood
Turner
Morris
Hodkinson
Keating
Tolman
Graham
Pritchard
Goodwin

Ha$ler
Egan
Cleal

Matai played in the Qld cup prior to joining Manly- Ipswich Jets
Kite did play in the rlwc in 2000 for Tonga, have heard he might play for them next year

bennyeagle said:
Jamie Buhrer - Went through the manly system - City rep
Michael Oldfield - Went through the system - Under 20s Aus Winger
Dean Whare - From Dragqueens where his options where limited a few games in 2010 - 2011 and he gets a gig in the Under 20,s NZ Squad.

The list goes on !

Buhrer played 20s for us yes but played Harold Matts and SG Ball for Parra

Matai agreed to play Q cup but never got on the park before trialing with Manly and being here ever since from memory.

I'm fairly certain that Manly has developed more internationals over the last fifty years than any other club

Takes more than 1 decent game to convince me that Reynolds has a future. Plenty of players have showed promise and done nothing. Chan 9 bandwagon is rubbing off on a few people I've noticed!

I've noticed Reynolds on a couple of ocassions now. Not sure who it was against, but he had a pretty good game a couple of weeks ago too. Thats when I first noticed him.
Whether he can go to the next level??? time will tell I guess, but he seems to have a bit of mongrel and drive, so its a good start.
Just needs to find a new hair salon. That doo is terrible..

Peter C said:
I'm fairly certain that Manly has developed more internationals over the last fifty years than any other club

You may be right.

It might also be true that Manly has bought more internationals. I haven't tried to count them, but wouldn't be surprised.

There is little value in criticising others for trying to buy established stars when we have an excellent record in that area. It is not a record we should apologise for. Furthermore, we were by no means the only club who did that. Apparently Wests were known as the millionaires before we started winning comps, and of course Easts have always been big spenders.

Bottom line is each club has to try to get a winning team, however they can. What we can say is this: it is a great credit to our club's culture and its staff that we are not only able to develop talent, but also able to retain players because they want to be in a successful, happy club.

Umm we bought DCE up through our junior ranks, he was in the side that won the minor u20s premiership in 2009..... he went to QLD Cup in 2010 when Hodko came into the NRL side.....

mickqld said:

Fair point Mick but I still think we have the people to continue the development. To be honest, I'm more concerned losing Crusher that De$.

2009 Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles Grand Final Team
1 Dennis Sandow
2 Michael Chapman
3 Shane Neumann
4 Andrew Suniula
5 Ryan Walker
6 Tony Williams
7 Trent Hodkinson
13 Jon Muir
12 Jon Grieve
11 Vic Mauro
10 Junior Palau
9 Cameron Joyce [c]
8 Phil Morwood

14 Tim Browne
15 Adam Cuthbertson
16 Rob Godfrey
17 Simon Allen

Coach: Brandon Costin

Clint said:
I've noticed Reynolds on a couple of ocassions now. Not sure who it was against, but he had a pretty good game a couple of weeks ago too. Thats when I first noticed him.
Whether he can go to the next level??? time will tell I guess, but he seems to have a bit of mongrel and drive, so its a good start.
Just needs to find a new hair salon. That doo is terrible..

I think his hairdo is very fitting for his club.

IMO it's the respect the young rookies have for the senior playing group that drives them to become better footy players. Hence overall, being one hell of great Football team.

We are blessed with great mentors and very ambitious kids wanting to learn their trade from the best.

Foran wanted to play and learn more from Jamie, Choc and the Stewarts and that was one of the reason why he stayed.

The trick for Perry and Co is to continue the cycle for the following generation.

SeaEagleRock8 said:
Peter C said:

You may be right.

It might also be true that Manly has bought more internationals. I haven't tried to count them, but wouldn't be surprised.

There is little value in criticising others for trying to buy established stars when we have an excellent record in that area. It is not a record we should apologise for. Furthermore, we were by no means the only club who did that. Apparently Wests were known as the millionaires before we started winning comps, and of course Easts have always been big spenders.

Bottom line is each club has to try to get a winning team, however they can. What we can say is this: it is a great credit to our club's culture and its staff that we are not only able to develop talent, but also able to retain players because they want to be in a successful, happy club.
Yes we have bought a lot of internationals over the years, but great players will always gravitate towards great clubs, so you could say that we are victims of our greatness.

Crusher wasn't even the one the Dogs wanted, didn't they want Warwick, then take Crusher when Warwick re-signed?
Interesting stat, during the last off-season, there were two teams that didn't poach from another NRL club, Manly and Canberra.

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 59 12
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
6 4 2 30 10
7 4 2 25 9
7 4 3 40 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 4 3 -8 8
7 4 3 -18 8
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6