WHO will be the next Steve 'Beaver' Menzies?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

deadlyeagle

Reserve Grader
This is about loyalty to Manly club & Manly club loyal to them. I know loyalty is nearly dead and buried but there are still some players who remain loyal.
Who will still be in our club in 5 - 10 years time and only want to be a one club player like beaver?

B.Stewart is the obvious one because hes signed long term but will he be willing to remain when he could get MASSIVE $$$ elsewhere?

Lyon wants to play in the SL again.

Choc has great passion for our club i could see him around for a while but depending on his manager could be different.

Oldies like Orford and co dont count & considering his played most of his career in other clubs.

I remeber G Stewart saying "its unlikly that we will both be at the same club in 5 years time" so he might not be here.

*Robbo if resigned will be a long term prospect as with JWH

IMO Ballin (who has resigned)

So my picks are Ballin, *Robbo could be around for a while. what are yours?

Firstly, there will never be another Beaver. Just like we've not seen another Cliffy or Bozo.

But for this exercise, I'd be basing it on a criteria of:
- Genuine local junior.
- One club player
- Star factor (as in, would be of interest to other clubs but knocked back offers like Beaver/Parra)

That rules out Killer, the Stewarts etc.

Leaves us with Choc, Kingy, Cuthbo. Slim pickings really.

Let's hope it is Will Hopoate then, eh?

Would like Cuthbo to hang around for a while but I doubt he'll ever nail down a starting spot. Off the bench seems his go.

It will take quite a player to achieve Menzies status in the Manly club, as a person and as a player. Mind you as a player, it would be important to also have a C. Lyons to put him through the gaps. In my mind they were the dynamic duo.

But what do we have in future to look forward to. I think Taufua has loads of potential...still very raw but he's got speed, endurance (makes more metres in a game than even Hopoate did) good defence and seems able to consistently break the line. I'd be upgrading is contract.

I've watched Chee-Can in the Canberra Toyota Cup. Got all the skills, still a bit raw, but has a Menzies feel to him. Trbjovic looks like a star forward in the making about to burst on the scene. Who knows, maybe the next Roy Bull. Been recognised as one to watch since his early adolescence and I suspect he'll burst on the scene big time in 2013. And then there's Gutherson, a top goal kicker and attacking ability the potential equal of most full backs playing today. Was so good that Australian Rugby Union wanted him for the International Sevens team, even when aged 16. If Wolfman has problems getting back, look out for this kid to burst into first grade later in '13.

Yes Toovey has some quality cattle grazing on the field for next year.

Downie said:
Would like Cuthbo to hang around for a while but I doubt he'll ever nail down a starting spot. Off the bench seems his go.

Hahahahahaha.. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

I must say I felt the same way when Cuthbo came into grade but after a few years it became clear he didn't have what it takes.

Watmough...all heart and passion. Unfortunately he can have the odd disastrous performance. At the same time he has lots of great ones too. Always try's though and for that he's my favourite. He cares about the club and has been one of the best players in the nrl for a long time.

Although not a junior Matai is special as far as being loyal. Its been reported he took pay cuts to stay at Manly. On 2 occasions i think.

Choc is the closest thing we have to Beaver atm.

Agree with you Napper. You said it better than me. Hill and Innes were a great centre partnership, but I can proudly say that I sat and watched the careers if the greatest ever pair of centres for any club. Mattai sometimes misses out on the attention because of Lyon. The bloke is already a Manly legend. His loyalty to us is to be taught to the juniors. I will never forget him crying after the 2011 Grand Final win. You are an absolute superstar Skivvy.

There is only one Steve Menzies. But there are a number of players in the current side who have played the majority or all of their career for Manly.

No one can be called the next Menzies, but I agree with some that Matai deserves a special mention as he has chosen to stay for less money on a number of ocassions.

If I recall correctly he played a year or two for nothing or very minimal wage, not because he wasn't wanted elsewhere but because he wanted to play for Manly..

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4