Who was Manly's best in the past 50 years ... Halfback

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Your best halfback was ?

• Dennis Ward

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Johnny Mayes

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • Kevin Junee

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • John Gibbs

• Gary Stephens

• Steve Martin

• Phil Blake

• Des Hasler

• Geoff Toovey

Votes: 47 62.7%
  • Matt Orford

Votes: 3 4.0%
  • DCE

Votes: 18 24.0%

• Total voters
This one is too hard. None have won more than one premiership.

My 2 favourite players of all time are Johnny Gibbs and Phil Blake. But on balance I have gone for DCE.
Toovey is why we have another two generations of Manly fans....... we were living in Victoria and every time we visited Mum and Dad in Dee Why we took the kids to a game. now an 8 year old and a 4 year old mad Many fans as well as their Man who loved Toovey and their Swedish Dad

Toovey is why we have another two generations of Manly fans....... we were living in Victoria and every time we visited Mum and Dad in Dee Why we took the kids to a game. now an 8 year old and a 4 year old mad Many fans as well as their Man who loved Toovey and their Swedish Dad
Yeah no slight to tooves, my old halves partner in the under 15s. A very tough choice. He’s winning by a lot.

One thing for sure about Toovey, he didn’t go missing in games! Whilst DCE is a good half and can provide some awesome games, inability to control a game and going missing at times doesn’t put him in Tooveys class afaik

Not sure why so much love for Tooves? Yes, tough,great little defender, played with passion - but would argue most on that list did. Orford for mine was a better around complete half back, and I feel DCE is again even more complete, but to really judge DCE probably will need to wait until he retires. If he ends up captaining the club to another GF success, as well as another origin series win and maybe replacing Cordner as Australian captain then I would definitely have him on top. Wait and see. Hopefully some more successful times for the club in the near future

Some really great halves we've had over the years. Blakey was an obvious favourite of mine and great memories of his record try scoring effort. Ox was good, except for the drop outs. Hasler took fitness and tenacity to another level.

But hard to go past Tooves. Skilful, tough, bled Maroon, and never gave up. He is Manly. Current side could do with a bit of his commitment.

I voted for Tooves but was interested to see the DCE v Toovey comparison and how the votes would play out. I thought it may be closer actually but thought Toovey would be ahead in the end

Team P W L PD Pts
6 5 1 20 12
6 4 2 53 10
5 4 1 23 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 14 8
7 4 3 -18 8
6 3 2 21 7
7 3 3 20 7
7 3 4 31 6
6 3 3 16 6