Who was Manly's best in the past 50 years ... Centres

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who are our best 2 centres of the past 50 years?

• Bob Fulton

Votes: 57 74.0%
  • John Macdonald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ray Brannigan

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Russell Gartner

Votes: 2 2.6%
  • Chis Close

• Michael O'Connor

Votes: 7 9.1%
  • Darrell Williams

• Terry Hill

• Craig Innes

• Steven Bell

• Steve Matai

Votes: 15 19.5%
  • Jamie Lyon

Votes: 63 81.8%

• Total voters

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
TEAM SO FAR ..

Hooker ... Max Krilich
Prop ... Ian Roberts
Prop ... Mark Carroll
2nd Row .. Steve Menzies
2nd Row .. Terry Randall
Lock ... Malcolm Reilly
Halfback ... Geoff Toovey
5/8th ... Cliffy Lyons

Bench .. Anthony Watmough
Bench .. John O'Neill
Bench ... Kevin Ward

Ok, now for centre ... and looking at the list of choices .. if we were to play a grandfinal tomorrow ... I would be happy with any 2 of them ...

You have 2 votes ... good luck .. and remember that centres will not be included in the winger poll ..

Good work @Woodsie . You are building a great team

No Great team is complete without the Greatest one of all
The one and only Incomparable Immortal Bob Fulton

Talk about an abundance of talent and star quality and that does not also include such notables as John Dorahy and Kevin iro . Fulton a given then i guess Jamie Lyon but only a paper thin margin from the rest

Hardest thing about these team picking polls.................Look at the talent you have to leave out!!!!!!!!!! I cannot find a spot for Branighan, Tee-Hee Terry Hill, Killer or O'Connor. Then there is Innes, Bell, but obviously had to have Bozo. Then Matai an absolute hair's breadth from Lyon. And Ray Branighan was one of my favourites as a kid.

Too young to have seen fulton play, but imo Jamie lyon was the best centre I've ever seen play the game.
If he was out, you knew you were gonna really struggle, and I can remember plenty of games where we were losing and it came down to some individual Lyon brilliance to pull the win out...

Went with Fulton and Matai (the most underrated centre in history).
Matai was an outstanding competitor . Shearer was equally dynamic any where in the back line , O'Connor was sensational .Gartner was electric and the list goes on
There is only one feather between all our flyers . All Legendary players

Lyon added so much out wide be it setting up a winger to walk over, an attacking kick on the fifth or a target for kicks. His ability to talk the team up for a come from behind win.

Like you all know, so much talent will miss out.

What about the other Terry Hill? We could choose both of them in the centres.

I remember him being a reserve grade centre in the mid 70s who got a few games in 1sts covering for injury. He was fast, balding, with a flyaway blonde fringe.

O'Connor was poetry in motion with more pace than many thought he had...near the best ever sidestep, could kick goals to boot.
Lyon was near the best all round footy player you would find...and definitely the most unselfish, any winger outside this bloke will be near top try scorer no doubt....also very versatile and had the skills to play as a 5/8

No doubting Fulton's ability, but he was running around for Roosters by the time I can remember watching footy so can't vote for someone I never really saw play.

Went for Gartner as he was my first favourite Manly player, and still has one of the best full pace swerves I've seen on a footy field. Great centre.

The sensible thing would then be to vote for Killer as he is the best centre to play the game in the last 20 years IMO. Great player and such a key part of our decade of dominance. But given everyone else will shepherd him to glory I've cast my other vote for his partner in crime, Matai. Love everything this guy brought to the field, what a warrior, what a player. Deserves a vote or two.

We've had some good centres over the years. Could have added Danny Moore and Dylan Walker to the list as well.

I couldn't go past Killer and Bozo as my two choices. There were of course others unlucky to have missed out. Skivi was the most unlucky because you can't go past the centre pairing that he had with Killer. It was just unfortunate for him, as a choice, that Bozo was one of the choices to choose from. The others that I considered were O'Connor, Gartner, Tezza and Innes.

Would think this is no contest. But some great slightly lesser players in that group. Loved watching Gartner, Innes, Matai, O'Conner and Tezza play. Always thought John MacDonald didn't quite reach expectations for Manly though.

Always thought John MacDonald didn't quite reach expectations for Manly though.
Yeah, I recall at the time we signed him he'd been tagged 'the next Reg Gasnier'. He still got picked in the Test side when with us, but more as a winger. I think he captained us from wing in a grand final too!

While your at it we also need an Administrator position ( we have had lots and lots of them , some not so good but we have had a few brilliant ones..--I want this JUST so the great man our God father can join this list of champions.. haha.. pretty sure he will be top of the list.

It might be a one man poll ... we will simply show the great man the respect he deserves and appoint him for life ....

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6