Who should we buy for next year

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Didn't the dogs make the GF last year and didn't he win state of origin as the half?

I would take Hodko and Maloney, they could win us a GF. At least they have the experience and would be half the cost of the 2 we lost.

Exactly...this place is full of experts though lol

Yeah I'm not saying I'm an expert. But I do watch a lot of footy and don't think recruiting players because they used to play for manly and kick goals is the answer. Have you actually watched him lately? I'd venture to say he was up there last year as the half with the least try assists last year

He may suit the dogs better,due to their gameplay. But he wasn't even in the top 5 bulldog players who contributed to them making the grand final. And a half should be.

Most rumours suggest we have inside running with tom burgess I would say we are big chance.
Sam dreaming my guess a ploy to get souths ducking and getting them off track while we talk to tom. Sam has been picked in extended squad for 6 nations v france he be back in 2017. This said alex wamsley at 24 is super prospect.
Like I said early Maloney I would say will stay put and I would say same for hodgkinson. So that's leaves Norman, sandow, elgy, sezer and carney. I simply don't see much I like. Get Mateo fit to play 6 and sign any of above we will snag one (**** hope it's not sandow or Norman.) we need someone to stick there with either Lyon or Mateo I would suggest sezer or elgy the above in particular parra pair hot and cold ****.

Hodkinson was injured in the finals and played because he was needed but was far from fit, I don't even think he did any kicking.

I agree that prices being quoted for some players are plucked out of fantasyland.

doesnt really matter if he was injured.. He is always injured which is part of my reasoning.

He was a cog in a very well drilled nsw and Canterbury team.

I posted it somewhere the other day. He is the eion crossan of halfbacks. ****e hair, great goal kicker, but doesn't bring a lot of much else.

They're are so many better options.

1 B Stewart
2 J Taufua
3 J Lyon
4 Matai
5 Hiku
6 Maloney (550k)
7 Elgey (250k)
8 T.Burgess (550k)
9 Ballin
10 Lawrence
11 Buhrer
12 Lewis Brown (400k) or Beau Scott (500k)
13 Mateo

14 Lui
15 Sene Lefao
16 J.Trbojevic
17 Symonds

18 Starling
19 L.Burgess
20 Hodges
21 Gutho
22 Sao
23 Littlejohn
24 T.Trbojevic

Last edited:
Would prefer Lyon at 6 Taufua at 3 and Gutho at 2 then have mateo at 6 (if we don't sign a five eighth), 13 is his best position, perfect replacement for gifty

I think there's a lot of harsh comments on Hodkinson. I don't think he's Joey Johns or Thurston, but he'd do a job for us. And I thought he did fairly well in 2010. Plus at the dogs de$ has suited their style of play around some big skillful forwards, smart move (for a knob), and I think it takes a certain type of half to sit behind them and not let his ego get in the way.

Would that suit us? Don't know. But I wouldn't write him off.

I do think 3 signings though is about right, and that is 1 half and 2 quality forwards. I keep saying this but I'd go after Luke Brooks as the half and David Klemmer in the forwards (ok we might not have a chance but those 2 are my choices) and then a real terrifying backrower that runs hard and can pass when needed. Is it Gavet or Taupau at the Tigers? Someone like that.

Didn't the dogs make the GF last year and didn't he win state of origin as the half?

I would take Hodko and Maloney, they could win us a GF. At least they have the experience and would be half the cost of the 2 we lost.

I actually think a few other cashed up clubs like canberra and sharks will be going hard for Trent and Maloney. Wouldn't be surprised in they attract offers around 650-750k

I can see where you are coming from @TagMonster @Shoe1 Wouldn't hurt to sit back for a minute and to take a breath. We have to be careful and not pay overs like doesn't matter and tits have paid. Have a chat with Joey and see what we have in the lower grades. We do have an immortal half and an immortal centre/ 5/8 at our disposal. Let's just get a clear mind and make a clear decision.

doesnt really matter if he was injured.. He is always injured which is part of my reasoning.

He was a cog in a very well drilled nsw and Canterbury team.

I posted it somewhere the other day. He is the eion crossan of halfbacks. ****e hair, great goal kicker, but doesn't bring a lot of much else.

They're are so many better options.

This.

Brother is a dogs fan (I failed him :() so I watch a lot of their games and he watches them all. We have both come to the agreement that Hodkinson is essentially an enabler, or as Joeboy said; a cog. Sure he'll kick well and is a strong defender but thats about it, everything else in offence is a structure, there is no inovation, no creativity. Now if your structure is good you will win most games with hodkinson as your half, as the bulldogs can do. But when you come across a team with a very strong defence who have done their research on your offensive structures, you will often come up short as the bulldogs have. It's clear the bulldogs struggle offensively; it took something like 6 sets on Parras line to score past them last week and then it was their rookie 6 who opened it up. In play-offs last year they didn't score in the second half against us or Storm and had a lot of the ball in the GF but couldn't open Souths up. The pattern is there.

If we did sign him, we would need a very creative 5/8th who would almost be the opposite of Hodkinson in order to compliment each other well.

There's no reason whatsoever that money should be left over. We dont need to re-up all the young guys yet so they should add halves and forwards until the cash runs out. And as much as we need another Burgess they could do with adding like a Dave Shllington type too. Our success always came with the key addition of a few "over the hill" guys. Especially with the team getting younger.

Hodko of 2014 is not the same player physically in 2015. @:cool: He has some experimental knee cartilage surgery in the off season and all he does in games now is grab that knee.

Reminds me of Luke Phillips from the 90's.
We thought that we had found the next Cliffy, but his knees forced him into early retirement.

Manly can't afford to buy any injury prone Player, let alone one who is meant to be controlling the game week in week out.

Hodko of 2014 is not the same player physically in 2015. @:cool: He has some experimental knee cartilage surgery in the off season and all he does in games now is grab that knee.

Reminds me of Luke Phillips from the 90's.
We thought that we had found the next Cliffy, but his knees forced him into early retirement.

Manly can't afford to buy any injury prone Player, let alone one who is meant to be controlling the game week in week out.
What about Ben Kennedy?

If Maloney is gonna resign maybe Jack Hastings wants a go. I know he's got strong Roosters ties but so did T-Red.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4