Who Should be Captain ?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
  • We have been getting regular requests for users who have been locked out of their accounts because they have changed email adresses over the lifetime of their accounts. Please make sure the email address under your account is your current and correct email address in order to avoid this in the future. You can set your email address at https://silvertails.net/account/account-details
  • Wwe are currently experience some server issues which I am working through and hoping to resolve soon, Please bare with me whilst I work through making some changes and possible intermittent outages.
  • Apologies all our server was runing rogue. I managed to get us back to a point from 2:45 today though there is an attachment issue i will fix shortly. Things should be smooth now though

maxta

First Grader
Premium Member
Manly need an Inspirational leader/Captain with a voice to rev these lazy boys into action and get some steely resolve back into the Manly culture!!

DCE is quiet as a field mouse and though can play when the team is on, lacks leadership skills and from what I have witnessed in 2018 - looks confused with no answers and it shows why the players do not respond to this.

Jake is young and already an inspiration with his actions, again his nature is not harsh enough atm (this may come in time)

This will sound like I'm drunk but my first drink is still 1 hour away....but the bloke closest to this in recent times would be Joel Thompson.
He has hit straps recently with some tough runs and massive defence, plus he seems to be close to the only bloke who talks and has that old school experience.
Not pretending he is a world beater or a Ben Kennedy level, but in our current ranks, feel he is the best option on hand and with the extra responsibility, the type of bloke who would thrive with the role.

There are other options Api - Kapow, but there comes a time to seriously look at a change.

Who are the best candidates?

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
I agree with your thoughts on Joel. He is the only one that seems to me capable of leading and earning the respect of his fellow players. I just don't see any other decent options from the outside looking in.

Haliaeetus

Reserve Grader
something that was revealing to me was walker being asked who the leadership group was.
he said 'i dunno actually, i mean there are some blokes that like to think they are' or something of to that effect.
obviously that reflects a bit of walker's larrikin nature, but also something deeper regarding the lack of direction within the team, i think
it's become clear that barrett doesn't understand how to establish power structures. perhaps he needs some time with the defence forces.

pjayz

הנשרים ישרור בעוד שנתיים מיום הנשרים
Manly need an Inspirational leader/Captain with a voice to rev these lazy boys into action and get some steely resolve back into the Manly culture!!

DCE is quiet as a field mouse and though can play when the team is on, lacks leadership skills and from what I have witnessed in 2018 - looks confused with no answers and it shows why the players do not respond to this.

Jake is young and already an inspiration with his actions, again his nature is not harsh enough atm (this may come in time)

This will sound like I'm drunk but my first drink is still 1 hour away....but the bloke closest to this in recent times would be Joel Thompson.
He has hit straps recently with some tough runs and massive defence, plus he seems to be close to the only bloke who talks and has that old school experience.
Not pretending he is a world beater or a Ben Kennedy level, but in our current ranks, feel he is the best option on hand and with the extra responsibility, the type of bloke who would thrive with the role.

There are other options Api - Kapow, but there comes a time to seriously look at a change.

Who are the best candidates?
The problem is whether taking the captaincy off him now will destroy his confidence. I think it needs to be DCE’s idea otherwise Barrett won’t do it. He has said too often how DCE has grown as a leader etc, so I can’t see him doing an about face now.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I wonder how hard DCE pushed for the Captaincy ?? did he actively seek it - if so was it for the right reasons ?? or is he a reluctant participant. If his on field and dressing room speak is anything like his media persona then I can see why he'd struggle to lift the side.

No one in current squad jumps out as a leader to me. How times have changed, we used to have half a dozen leaders in the team, now we struggle to find one.

Budgie

In for the long haul.
2016 Tipping Competitor
Tipping Member
I wonder how hard DCE pushed for the Captaincy ?? did he actively seek it - if so was it for the right reasons ?? or is he a reluctant participant. If his on field and dressing room speak is anything like his media persona then I can see why he'd struggle to lift the side.

No one in current squad jumps out as a leader to me. How times have changed, we used to have half a dozen leaders in the team, now we struggle to find one.
I don't even see him talking to other players on the field. How much do we miss Killer? A quiet demeanour, but boy did they listen when he spoke!

sheridanstand78

First Grader
We need someone who bleeds maroon and white, totally understands the culture of our club and will not accept anything but the best from his teammates, It has to be Jake!!!!

globaleagle

01100111 01100101
Staff member
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I thought dce wanted it until Barrett said in a post match presser that 'dce reluctantly' took on the captaincy.

Obv answer is Jake...if he can stop mouthing off. Been binned twice this year, though smashing players tackle after tackle would get the emotions pumping (I guess... being a back...who wants to tackle? eww).

chuckee

Formerly CJAeagle
Co-captains worked well for us in the past. I see no reason why Joel Thompson couldn’t be made co-captain with DCE. If you stripped DCE of the captaincy I don’t think it would be a good look. But if you give Thompson the onfield authority he’d really fire the troops up.

Terry Zarsoff

First Grader
The problem is whether taking the captaincy off him now will destroy his confidence. I think it needs to be DCE’s idea otherwise Barrett won’t do it. He has said too often how DCE has grown as a leader etc, so I can’t see him doing an about face now.
DTD runs the Sea Eagles these days. He calls the shots on and off the field.

He won’t be giving away the captaincy anytime soon.

XV-1

First Grader
Keep DCE as captain, unless he does not want the pressure.

Bring in a leadership group that the coaches can communicate with and discuss tactics etc, like other clubs and take more ownership.

DCE, Marty, Jake, Thompson and Walker.

HoldenV8

Journey Man
I've been an advocate of DCE as captain because he has a cooler head which is needed when talking to the refs. But I am honestly starting to wonder if being the captain isn't having a negative affect on his game.

Joel Thomson is too new to the club to take on that role I think. Personally, as much as I have been against it in the past......from 2019 I would have Jake as captain and maybe Joel as co-captain or vice captain.

HK_Eagle

First Grader
Premium Member
I've been an advocate of DCE as captain because he has a cooler head which is needed when talking to the refs. But I am honestly starting to wonder if being the captain isn't having a negative affect on his game.

Joel Thomson is too new to the club to take on that role I think. Personally, as much as I have been against it in the past......from 2019 I would have Jake as captain and maybe Joel as co-captain or vice captain.
I'm not so convinced on that point. If a genuine leader takes the reins, the team fall in behind him. If he has the right qualities and steps up to do the job well, the other players are not going to give a flying f*ck how long he has been there.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
13 10 3 97 24
14 10 4 118 22
14 10 4 78 22
13 8 5 66 20
14 8 6 143 18
13 7 6 81 18
13 7 6 -55 18
14 7 6 42 17
14 7 7 37 16
15 8 7 -8 16