Who are our recruiting people

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Part of the reason we had to live through the torture of Manly season 2020 was poor prior recruitment and retention. No apology from me for my prior criticism. Fortunately in the last 7 days things are on the up because of a couple of quality signings and for that I am grateful. Let's see what we do with the talent this year.

Yeah - just poking fun at the short sighted peanuts who thought our recruitment was terrible and it was all on Des.

I was sort of one of those BUT I kept saying we had to give them to December 1st as with the delayed year this is the real start of training ( well it’s probably today but close enough ).

I think it relates to the comparison with some clubs who were out announcing acquisitions even before the GF, meanwhile we were as quiet as church mouses.

But yes good work done by all, no superstars but filled in the needs bet capably.

Doomsdayers or simply those that are reflecting on very recent history and fearful of the same outcome without change? I couldn't bare another season like 2020. In 2020 Des's stick and pick mind set (albeit due to injuries to some extent but not entirely) produced one of our worst seasons in recent history. We definitely have a better squad this year but it will all turn on injuries and how we use what we have. We need to evolve and get back in touch.

Doomsdayers or simply those that are reflecting on very recent history and fearful of the same outcome without change? I couldn't bare another season like 2020. In 2020 Des's stick and pick mind set (albeit due to injuries to some extent but not entirely) produced one of our worst seasons in recent history. We definitely have a better squad this year but it will all turn on injuries and how we use what we have. We need to evolve and get back in touch.

Looking at our squad now, it's one that has more depth than in 2020 especially the back line.

Apart from Fainu, I think Des now has his squad.

IMO prior to recent weeks our recruitment and especially our retention decisions were very poor and contributed to the our lack of success. If my opinion makes me a peanut well so be it. I want to see us evolve and become a force to be reckoned with not what I watched last year when we packed up shop and sides put big scores on us.

Happy with the recruitment so far ... but before we congratulate ourselves too much .. I read in today's Tele that Penrith are paying Parra $300k a year of RCGillard's contract and $200k a year of Wocka Blakes contract ... for 2 more bloody years ... that's basically a $500k boost to their Salary cap each year ..

Well may we LOL@Parra ... but it puts us paying compensation .. to sign Aloaia and Saab into perspective ..

There is only one boss at Manly ... and that is Dessie ... if and when we recruit a premiership team .. it will be said that Dessie recruited them ... and if after 3 years we still have duck egg ... it will be said that Dessie failed to recruit a team ...

Having said that ... I believe we are only a couple of players away from success ... how hard can it be .. ( tongue in cheek)
True... Well done Dessie! Foran, Davey, Tuipolutu, Saab and Aloiai is some bloody fine work!

Part of the reason we had to live through the torture of Manly season 2020 was poor prior recruitment and retention. No apology from me for my prior criticism. Fortunately in the last 7 days things are on the up because of a couple of quality signings and for that I am grateful. Let's see what we do with the talent this year.
See I don't buy that one bit - not a scrap - I say our poor 2020 was on 3/4 of our spine being out for basically the season. Again I will ask which team/s could overcome losing 3 of the 4 of the spine and still make the 8? So lets be realistic about poor recruitment. Are they supposed to have 3 super quality spine players just sitting in the wings and all able to gel after not having an offseason together? We have only one or even two of those injured and we finish higher and if one isn't Turbo we make the semis. Not sure how you replace a Turbo with a Turbo clone.

Last edited:
Happy with the recruitment so far ... but before we congratulate ourselves too much .. I read in today's Tele that Penrith are paying Parra $300k a year of RCGillard's contract and $200k a year of Wocka Blakes contract ... for 2 more bloody years ... that's basically a $500k boost to their Salary cap each year ..

Well may we LOL@Parra ... but it puts us paying compensation .. to sign Aloaia and Saab into perspective ..
I don't get what you're trying to communicate here? Penrith are paying Parramatta for two of their former players. We received compensation for AFB, we aren't paying a cent toward his new contract. Penrith wanted to get rid of Blake and RCG but West's and the Dragons did not want get rid of Aloiai or Saab. Your argument makes no sense whatsoever. My goodness, just say well done Des and move on.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4