WHO ARE OUR BEST 2 OF THE PAST 50 YEARS? .. WINGERS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who would you have on the wings ?

• Les Hanigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Irvine

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • Tom Mooney

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Rod Jackson

• Stuart Davis

• John Ribot

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Kerry Boustead

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • Jack Elesgood

• John Hopoate

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Scott Donald

• Chris Hicks

• The Lesser Robbo (Micheal)

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • David Williams

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Jorge Taufua

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Akuila Uate

• Dale Shearer

Votes: 28 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Just making a light hearted comment ... I understand the theory of the tall winger in the modern game .. and the saying a good big man etc .. but someone needs to Tell Ado Carr and Noafaluma that ... I would take either ...

I have always been a fan of footballers over athletes ... the athletes always seem to disappoint eventually ...
well 100% Irvine was an athlete, and a footballer to boot.

Perhaps you should consider, given 80% of his career was more than 50 years ago, to allow those that voted for him (and I say that with the view he would be in the all-time team) to make another vote. @;)

would love to see where those votes would land

Perhaps you should consider, given 80% of his career was more than 50 years ago, to allow those that voted for him (and I say that with the view he would be in the all-time team) to make another vote. @;)

I was early teens when Irvine played , used to listen on the radio and he was sure dynamic. I would have voted Michael Robertson if not him.

I was early teens when Irvine played , used to listen on the radio and he was sure dynamic. I would have voted Michael Robertson if not him.
isn't it funny that the winger turns out to be the most contentious position so far ( I suspect Woodsie had an inkling about this)

even though the top 5 are clearly not in question......

one can only guess the Fullback split over Eadie and Stewart with some even voting Trbojevic

Last edited:
It tickles my amusement bone .. that with all the talk of needing big tall wingers ... 3 of our leading best for the past 50 years were short arrses .. and the 2 other places taken by just normal human size .. hmmm ...
Here's another thing Woodsie....in general ppl talk of it being a tough contact sport, feel the best footy players will be the 7 foot 130kg monsters, yet the best of all time are the Johns, Bozo, Thurston, Lockyer types ??
It comes down to abilty and comitment with EVERY player who makes the "Woodsie Best Ever" most importantly being Super competitive...

The lesser Robbo making a late charge.

I really didn’t see much of Irvine so have him my boys purely on what I’ve heard over the years.

My dim recollections were blistering pace.

Vaguely recall hearing of some daft promotion where they had him sprinting against a racehorse... can't recall if he was victorious.
Blistering pace you say ?
In the rare footage that I have seen he looked like one of those quarter mile high nitromethane drag cars . Insane speed !

Nothing more exhilarating than seeing these drag machines break out into the open and heading towards the try line leaving players behind them like they were pedaling three wheeler Tricicles .

Insane Blistering Speed is like Cocaine on the footy field
It raises grandstands full of fans off their seats in an ecstatic state of euphoria

Time for another Dose ....

He still meets the 50 year criteria ... and remember, everybody can go back and change their vote ... so if anyone's first choice is a no chance ... they can change and have an influence on the result ...

My reasoning was always that I didn't want the team being selected like a SOO team where players like O'Connor missed out on a centre spot but then put on the wing and a regular winger misses out ... I wanted the best from the position they played most .
Shearers stats for Manly

36 games at Fullback
35 games at Centre
15 games at Wing

PS. as an interesting aside I didn't remember him playing a season for the Roosters, but he did in 1997

isn't it funny that the winger turns out to be the most contentious position so far ( I suspect Woodsie had an inkling about this)

Yeah, I had an inkling it would be tight ....

Heads up .... What I am looking forward to is the choosing of the 4th bench spot ... I think it should not be a poll ... but simply have posters tell us which player not selected they would have on the bench as #14 ... either a super sub utility or extra grunt forward ... but tell us why. ...

Bit of a tough one this. Irvine and Hanigan before my time so not considered. Shearer not really a winger at Manly so can't pick him over genuine club wingers

Mooney for sure on one wing. He could still be effective in the modern game as he was a strong runner of the ball and a great finisher. Have gone with Boustead on other just for his blistering pace.

I would think the 15 Test Matches on the wing for Australian and the 10 SOO for Qld on the wing for 18 tries, should probably be included in considerations.:nod:

It was exactly that choosing of fullbacks on the wing in rep teams that I was hopeful of avoiding .. I just wanted players who were first and foremost .. wingers ... otherwise I would have put Tom Turbo, Snake, O'Connor, Gartner, etc in the wingers poll ...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4