WHO ARE OUR BEST 2 OF THE PAST 50 YEARS? .. WINGERS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who would you have on the wings ?

• Les Hanigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Irvine

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • Tom Mooney

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Rod Jackson

• Stuart Davis

• John Ribot

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Kerry Boustead

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • Jack Elesgood

• John Hopoate

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Scott Donald

• Chris Hicks

• The Lesser Robbo (Micheal)

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • David Williams

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Jorge Taufua

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Akuila Uate

• Dale Shearer

Votes: 28 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
PLEASE NOTE ....

On reflection ... and because being criticised makes me cry ... I have added Dale Shearer to the poll ... and anybody can go back and change their vote ... if they so wish ..
haha, thanks, he should be in the mix...........but now I'm not sure @:oops:

here's the top 8 tryscorers who played wing, and % of tries per games played

Name Games Tries %

Taufua Jorge 163 87 53.4

Mooney Tom 143 83 58.0

Robertson Michael 152 70 46.1

Hopoate John 150 69 46%

Williams David 106 67 63.2

Hancock Craig 172 64 37.2

Donald Scott 68 48 70.6

Shearer Dale 87 45 51.7

Dale Rowdy Shearer . Check out his blistering pace !
Lighting fast and great foot work .

I met him a few years ago at Northies Cronulla of all places .
He has wearing a muscle top and looked like a body builder and he was there with a hot blonde .Rowdy has a eye for talent !
I sat down and had a drink with them. He told me he regrets leaving Manly to play for other clubs . He was happiest to play under Bozo and for Manly .
Rowdy left a great impression . I hope the Great Cuzzo can do an interview with him one day

haha, thanks, he should be in the mix...........but now I'm not sure @:oops:

here's the top 8 tryscorers who played wing, and % of tries per games played

Name Games Tries %

Taufua Jorge 163 87 53.4

Mooney Tom 143 83 58.0

Robertson Michael 152 70 46.1

Hopoate John 150 69 46%

Williams David 106 67 63.2

Hancock Craig 172 64 37.2

Donald Scott 68 48 70.6

Shearer Dale 87 45 51.7

Great info .. thanks

Ken Irvine

career .. 236 games .. 212 tries ... 89.8%
Manly .. 60 games ... 41 tries ... 68.3%
Australia ..31 games .. 33 tries .. 106.5%
NSW ... 24 games ... 30 tries ... 125 .0%
City .... 8 games .... 7 tries ... 87.5%

All up .. 359 games ... 323 tries ... 90.0% strike rate .... awesome ..

Last edited:
Great info .. thanks

Ken Irvine

career .. 236 games .. 212 tries ... 89.8%
Manly .. 60 games ... 41 tries ... 68.3%
He must be as good as they say !
The outstanding thing about the 212 tries is that most of them came from the ordinary North Sydney team he was plying in . Norths back then I dont think they ever made the finals when Irvine was playing @Woodsie ?

PLEASE NOTE ....

On reflection ... and because being criticised makes me cry ... I have added Dale Shearer to the poll ... and anybody can go back and change their vote ... if they so wish ..
Thanks Woodsie, Rowdy was an absolute freak in attack and defence no matter where he played. he had a real footy smarts about him and could read the game so well he almost made things look like they where in "Slow Mo".. I cant see him being a better fullback than Eadie, Skivvy or Turbo but he would be a wing man that any team would want.

Thanks Woodsie, Rowdy was an absolute freak in attack and defence no matter where he played. he had a real footy smarts about him and could read the game so well he almost made things look like they where in "Slow Mo".. I cant see him being a better fullback than Eadie, Skivvy or Turbo but he would be a wing man that any team would want.

My reasoning was always that I didn't want the team being selected like a SOO team where players like O'Connor missed out on a centre spot but then put on the wing and a regular winger misses out ... I wanted the best from the position they played most .

Hancock and the bug are better than hanigan, Hicks, uate, hoppa and Donald.

But I put robbo and wolfman as my wingers.

He was that good - IMO on the same level as Gasnier, Raper, Fulton & others - see video. His other career was as a columnist He sadly died from cancer @ age 50.

That's It ... . The Godfather has spoken .. Quote " I have regarded Ken Irvine the best Winger "

So The Great Wolfman just Misses out on my picks
I now have Shearer and Irvine .
The Wolfman though is still a Legend

As good as Irvine and Boustead were, I went more with those who I saw.

Michael "3 tries in a Grand Final" Robertson who I think was one of the most underrated and ignored by selectors wingers of his time, and Rowdy Shearer who could play anywhere in the backline and was blisteringly fast.

Thought that Rowdy played his best footy at Manly at full back but if he is now included in the list would add him with Boustead . Must admit that previously just choosing Robbo ahead of Ribot and Mooney was a little heart over head inclination . Ribot could be a dynamic runner and of course a rep player and Mooney played in two premiership sides also . Robbo was very consistent and a very capable finisher however . Thought that Boustead. and Ribot may have been higher on the try scoring list and certainly an impressive effort from Scott Donald . Anyway what the heck , Rowdey and Bowie .

He must be as good as they say !
The outstanding thing about the 212 tries is that most of them came from the ordinary North Sydney team he was plying in . Norths back then I dont think they ever made the finals when Irvine was playing @Woodsie ?
My dim recollections were blistering pace.

Vaguely recall hearing of some daft promotion where they had him sprinting against a racehorse... can't recall if he was victorious.

If Shearers not on here near the Top, I cast no more votes....electic speed and great anticipation, could also play FB or centre at only the risk to the opposition.
Could play any era and be dominant.
The Wolfman - well copped some flak over 2013 where it should have been the officials copping the pineapple....fast , strong and that try against Souths with zero room after beating Inglis 7m out was a freak try reserved for few players....that in fact got Manly s GF spot after a Massive comeback against the Rabbits
Many great wingers there and to Robbo....if it was most underrated winger, I take your bro by about 75 metres, could play and probably the most complete winger of all imo.

The Wolfman - well copped some flak over 2013 where it should have been the officials copping the pineapple....
absolutely correct re 2013
also re the Wolfman...........he scored the tries........yet he stopped just as many with great defence (40- Nil was an example, he was a big part of the Nil).

And also he is one of those strange humans that is really 'bony', it was evident on occasion that the opposition didn;t like to tackle him for the bruises.

It tickles my amusement bone .. that with all the talk of needing big tall wingers ... 3 of our leading best for the past 50 years were short arrses .. and the 2 other places taken by just normal human size .. hmmm ...

tough one again, but from the 1980 onwards Shearer and Boustead for mine, excitment machines! Someone find that Boastead Born In Innisfail pic from RLW!

Once saw Shearer score a try in the corner with his speed that no one had the right to. Cover defence should have had him easily but he just turned on the afterburners. Against parra i think in a smashing at Parra stadium

yeah, but different game now.

Just making a light hearted comment ... I understand the theory of the tall winger in the modern game .. and the saying a good big man etc .. but someone needs to Tell Ado Carr and Noafaluma that ... I would take either ...

I have always been a fan of footballers over athletes ... the athletes always seem to disappoint eventually ...

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4