WHO ARE OUR BEST 2 OF THE PAST 50 YEARS? .. WINGERS

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Who would you have on the wings ?

• Les Hanigan

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ken Irvine

Votes: 48 55.2%
  • Tom Mooney

Votes: 18 20.7%
  • Rod Jackson

• Stuart Davis

• John Ribot

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Kerry Boustead

Votes: 30 34.5%
  • Jack Elesgood

• John Hopoate

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Scott Donald

• Chris Hicks

• The Lesser Robbo (Micheal)

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • David Williams

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • Jorge Taufua

Votes: 4 4.6%
  • Akuila Uate

• Dale Shearer

Votes: 28 32.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Woodsie

Feast yer eyes ..
Tipping Member
TEAM SO FAR ..

Hooker ... Max Krilich
Prop ... Ian Roberts
Prop ... Mark Carroll
2nd Row .. Steve Menzies
2nd Row .. Terry Randall
Lock ... Malcolm Reilly
Halfback ... Geoff Toovey
5/8th ... Cliffy Lyons
Inside Centre ... Bob Fulton
Outside Centre .. Jamie Lyon

Bench .. Anthony Watmough
Bench .. John O'Neill
Bench ... Kevin Ward

Remember you can tick two boxes ....

I think the overall quality has dropped off somewhat in the wingers... Went for Irvine & Bousted.

I remember when Boustead first got selected as a relative unknown for QLD... They were saying Terry Fahey (I think that was him... also dubbed the redfern express?) would run over him all night. Well the redfern express was well & truly derailed... Boustead cut him down every time :rofl:

Les Hanigan used to board with my Grandmother when he first came to Manly. Nice quiet young man.

He had a breakout year and ended up touring UK.

Next year he came back to ordinary; I remember someone at a game querying "why he was playing 1st grade?"
"cause he was a Kangaroo" was the answer.
"so was Skippy!"

Les Hanigan used to board with my Grandmother when he first came to Manly. Nice quiet young man.

Next year he came back to ordinary; I remember someone at a game querying "why he was playing 1st grade?"
"so was Skippy!"

Local wisdom at the time was that Les had poor eyesight without specs .. my mates and I dubbed him Mr, McGoo ... but he went alright when he did catch the ball ...

"so was Skippy!"
Used to have the nick name Lanky Les i think , also think that he scored four ? tries in a club game once . Actually played one season latter in his career at a N Q regional area as captain coach . Had a rep coach in my N Q regional area who previously played i st grade for St George and he mentioned once that one of the wingers he found hard to mark back in the day was les Hanigan so he must have had ability .

Our most capped winger Craig Hancock can't get a nom @Woodsie ?

Sorry .. wasn't aware he was our most capped or would have included him for that distinction alone ... but with 15 already in the poll some had to miss out such as Danny Moore, T-Rex etc ... but I think the real winners will come from those named ..

Used to have the nick name Lanky Les i think , also think that he scored four ? tries in a club game once . Actually played one season latter in his career at a N Q regional area as captain coach . Had a rep coach in my N Q regional area who previously played i st grade for St George and he mentioned once that one of the wingers he found hard to mark back in the day was les Hanigan so he must have had ability .

He had a fair turn of speed and could score, ....if he held the ball.

Hard to go past internationals like Boustead , Ribot and Irvine and Mooney and Robbo also appeal to me . Great player but probably did not see the best of Irvine at Manly , not much between Boustead and Ribot but maybe Boustead . Always had wraps on Mooney but maybe just a whisker to Robbo . So Boustead and Robbo

Our most capped winger Craig Hancock
Yes, I would rate Hancock and Moore (both SOO reps) ahead of players like Hicks & Donald. But as @Woodsie commented, none would be in calculations to be selected in the best two.

Post Nick Yakich, Manly had some very slow wingers in the second half of the 60's. I was very excited with the signing of Les Hanigan as he had genuine speed - sub 10 second 100 yards. He was the leading try scorer in the 1967 premiership, but unfortunately, didn't have a long career with Manly. His daughter, Kylie, represented Australia as a sprinter at the 1996 Olympics.

Hmmmm... if Robbo get s a gig above some of the names on that list then this team selection has lost all credibility. it may have already lost it with the omission of DALE SHEARER from the list ( he did play wing for us on many many occasion, but hopefully he will be on the fullback list as he wasn't on the Centre list)
Don't get me wrong I loved Robbo as a player and as a clubman, a very underrated player that over achieved at Manly with a great team around him..
Seriously... Our BEST two wingers over the PAST 50 years..... Robbo is no chance amongst the other names on that list or that are forming the team.
Pretty much a reflection of the fans on this forum showing a bias on the voting as the majority may have not seen the really greats like Mooney, Boustead, Irvine , Hanigan, even Ribot and Hopoate, would have to get a gig before Robbo if we are being serious..All Australian reps, Origin players.
Just my opinion but it sort of tarnishes how we voted for the other positions as well.

Last edited:
Local wisdom at the time was that Les had poor eyesight without specs .. my mates and I dubbed him Mr, McGoo ... but he went alright when he did catch the ball ...
Blokes on the NW hill reckoned Les needed a washing basket to catch the ball. He scored a lot of tries but would have had a lot more if he could catch. I thought he may have been the publican at the Brookie pub for at one time. Does anyone remember this or is it just another of my seniors moments?

Hmmmm... if Robbo get s a gig above some of the names on that list then this team selection has lost all credibility. it may have already lost it with the omission of DALE SHEARER from the list ( he did play wing for us on many many occasion, but hopefully he will be on the fullback list as he wasn't on the Centre list)
I'm struggling here, Shearer would have been one of my picks as well......

Never saw Les Hanigan play and very little footage of Irvine .
The Wolfman at his peak howling down the touchline was a sight to see
Robbo was not an international but he was sensational and Mr Reliable who got the job done right the first time and every time
Hey @Woodsie .... You forgot our duel premiership 72 & 73 great winger In Max Brown .
You would have seen more games from Max than me . How do you rate him ?

Don't get me wrong I loved Robbo as a player and as a clubman, a very underrated player that over achieved at Manly with a great team around him..
Seriously... Our BEST two wingers over the PAST 50 years..... Robbo is no chance amongst the other names on that list or that are forming the team.
Pretty much a reflection of the fans on this forum showing a bias on the voting as the majority may have not seen the really greats like Mooney, Boustead, Irvine , Hanigan, even Ribot and Hopoate, would have to get a gig before Robbo if we are being serious..All Australian reps, Origin players.
Just my opinion but it sort of tarnishes how we voted for the other positions as well.

Jay, much of what you say is correct ... I stated at the beginning that it would be interesting to see how a fans poll would differ from a sports journo or expert poll ... we the fans are entitled to choose with our hearts without having to justify preferences or bias with statistical qualification .. after all it is just a bit of fun and interest during the quite season .

I will start a thread at the end for the serious selectors and couch coaches to pick a balanced team with reasoning and thoughts as to why their squad better compliments each other ... their champion team rather than a team of champions ..

@Little Grubber Kick ... As to Dale Shearer, I did agonise over where to put him ... but as I wanted centres chosen at centre, and wingers chosen on the wing ... I felt that Dale was best known as a fullback and will be in that poll ... if I was wrong I apologise ..

And you are also correct ... the biggest impact on me has been the real stars that are not in the final team ...

Hey @Woodsie .... You forgot our duel premiership 72 & 73 great winger In Max Brown .
You would have seen more games from Max than me . How do you rate him ?

So much that I completely forgot him ... just kidding ... was a very good 1st grader, but not in elite class ... but I should have included him ..

PLEASE NOTE ....

On reflection ... and because being criticised makes me cry ... I have added Dale Shearer to the poll ... and anybody can go back and change their vote ... if they so wish ..

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6