When did Manly last win a semi- final as underdogs?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Just been racking my brain, when was the last time Manly won a semi-final as underdogs? I know we've lost a few as hot favourites but I can't  recall us ever pulling off a boilover in a big semi-final. Other teams seem to be able to do it but we cant & geez it ****s me.

it would have to be  1978  we went all the way & won the title.. 

I was thinking 78 too. We have lost many over the years when we were favourites including the 95 and 97 Grand Finals. Maybe the 2008 GF was one many expected us to lose.

I guess you mean when Smith was suspended we started to become favourites. But a lot of people still thought Melbourne would win.

From memory it would have to be the 1982 major semi against Parra, I think Parra were minor premiers and won the year before, I think we won 22-0 to go straight to the Grand Final

Shane link said:
Vs Cowboys 2007
Yes, We were underdogs because Thurston should have been suspended for that game for a spear tackle he did the week before but was not.
The SFS was a flood of maroon and white. We owned the SFS that night.

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=185344.msg294960#msg294960 date=1284516085]
Vs Cowboys 2007
One of my faviroute games. Those preliminary finals at the SFS were great! stadium full of Maroon and White. We flogged the cowboys and the warriors. both years!
Yes, We were underdogs because Thurston should have been suspended for that game for a spear tackle he did the week before but was not.
[/quote]

WAMF link said:
[quote author=Shane link=topic=185344.msg294960#msg294960 date=1284516085]
Vs Cowboys 2007
[/quote]

still remember standing on the seats singing Eagle Rock after the win....bumping hips with some young thing.....ah, the memories

I was there in 07 v Cowboys, funnily enough my most prevailing memories from that night are trying to get out of the carpark.  Have no idea why

eggson link said:
I was there in 07 v Cowboys, funnily enough my most prevailing memories from that night are trying to get out of the carpark.  Have no idea why
I hope it was better than my efforts to get out of the carpark with Matbele driving and Ryan doing a striptease for the other patrons after the 2006 Semi at Aussie Stadium against the Dragqueens. My daughter has never recovered from that night. :)

the most obvious answer would have to be the very 1st finals appearance we ever made..

In 2008 l Daley tipped dragons and warriors against manly in the semis and tipped storm in the gf, but then again manly is always the underdog in his mind.

Canteen Worker link said:
[quote author=eggson link=topic=185344.msg295237#msg295237 date=1284555711]
I hope it was better than my efforts to get out of the carpark with Matbele driving and Ryan doing a striptease for the other patrons after the 2006 Semi at Aussie Stadium against the Dragqueens. My daughter has never recovered from that night. :)
[/quote]

Ooh... you might have me on that one - my mum was around that night

Great thought provoking post!

There is no way Manly were underdogs in 07 - Cowboys were like $2.60 against Manlys $1.45.

In the 08 GF Manly were $1.85 and Melbourne $1.95, and thats as close as Melbourne got in the betting.

I cannot recall Manly ever winning against the odds in a semi, but they lost several as faves.95, 97  gf's, and against Norths one year early nineties.

They duly lost all their semis as underdogs - against Brisbanne twice in the Nineties, and against Saints twice, Parra and Newcastle, Melbourne twice in the 00s. The most memorable effort as underdogs was that effort against a star studded Canberra side in the nineties when they lost 30-22.

I dunno, they never do it. Goes before my time to 1978!

Lost to the Bunnies in 84 after the Bunnies played a midweek playoff just to get there.

Up 14-nil and got run down.....think it ended up 22-18

Mybludog link said:
Lost to the Bunnies in 84 after the Bunnies played a midweek playoff just to get there.

Up 14-nil and got run down.....think it ended up 22-18
yeah  mate thats the one how could i  forget that one ziggy niscott killed us .. souths didnt kick the ball  all year then in that game they scored two tries of kicks ..

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4