What will be the motivation?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Eaglette Fan

Reserve Grader
I guess most pundits would at this stage see three teams fighting for the Grand Final win - Manly, Storm and Broncos. The Storm will be motivated by the "seeking of revenge" factor (as Lazarus recently wrote). The Broncos will be motivated by the "send Lockyer out a winner" factor. What will our motivating factor be? Motivation is a powerful tool, especially when the chips are down. What inner message will our boys be calling on in the late stage of the GF to ensure a win over one of these other highly motivated teams?

Giving their mate Brett Stewart something really special after the two years of hell he endured. I reckon the tears would flow freely if it happened. No-one is more deserving of another premiership than Stewie.

bones said:
Giving their mate Brett Stewart something really special after the two years of hell he endured. I reckon the tears would flow freely if it happened. No-one is more deserving of another premiership than Stewie.

Yes, I think Snake's years of hell could be a good motivating factor, which will drive the boys in a GF.

-Galloping on stage and during the victory lap.
-Proving that Des is a better coach than Martina.
-Wanting to break the 40-0 record.
-Wanting to prove you are the best.

Lyon holding the Premiership trophy above his head with every MANLY fan screaming MANLY, MANLY through a sea of maroon & white what more motivation could they want. This is what they work so hard for all year. The Boys deserve it & they will win it. GO MANLY

Winning a premiership is it's own motivation. If you have to look for other motivating factors, you're probably not going to win it.

bones said:

1) Bretty's hatrick in the GF win, to show that you can't keep a good man down
2) The emotional trauma of the two lost years are the motivation
3) The vindication of Des picking an unknown half combo to play against the 'Stars' in 2011 by th he 'Experts' who lampood his decision at the start of the year for doing so.
4) The fun of winning a GF and the Party that follows, the squad is full of the 2008 underdogs => Top Dogs.:D

Doing it for Brett & to give a massive 'up yours' to the NRL is good motivation.

Also, because it's their jobs to win. You win the grand final you get more money, more rep - seems like that is enough motivation to me.

Simple.
Most hated team by all involved with the NRL barring our own fans.
The same people who kick Manly when they are down & jump on any bandwagon when our guards are down like 2009 & 2010.
This will provide plenty of ammo imo.

i wouldn't write off the Tigers just yet. Not sure what their motivation will be, but they can do some damage through the finals series, especially if Lawrence gets back on deck.

It is a good question though, what will our motivation be ? The fact that we won the whole show 3 years ago and the bulk of that side are still playing worries me, in that the true hunger won't be there. They've tasted success and not that long ago, it might make the difference in the clutch against a more desperate opponent. The same could be said for the Storm, but they have had the legitimacy of their victories scrubbed from the record books, they will be focusing on that Us vs The Establishment motivation. The Broncos have turned over a fair majority of players since 2006, so enough youth there to fire up the 3 or 4 experienced heads, plus the Locky farewell factor.

i would love nothing better than brett winning the churchill medal and watching goose gallop squirm.

Apparently he has been to brookvale all year. SOFTCOCK

I heard the Tigers motivations being yelled by Robbie Farrah last week: SEMI FINALS, he cried out to his team after they had scored a try. This is their focus and catch cry. This is what they dig deep for when they need to be reminded.
A motivation can be a personal or a team thing. Everyone will have something driving them personally. If they don't have much in there and they are talented but in it for the ride... they will be found out when the going gets tough.
I also see a motivation thing as a catch-cry on the field, especially when the team is having to dig deep and hang in there. It is something someone yells out to remind everyone of their intent; their drive, their passion and commitment.
Hate and revenge are very powerful motivators. But after a while they can also drain you of your energy. If Melbourne can use revenge all the way through to the end they will be hard to stop. Brisbane can call on the Lockyer thing in the last game of the year, IMO. It would be hard to yell that out in every game, 'hold 'em out for Locky'; nah, just doesn't work.

Now for our boys... I would like to know what steely intent Des has spinning in their heads. Nothing in particular stands out to me, apart from their talk of their commitment to defence and to one another.

The opportunity to brush Gallop by refusing to shake his hand. Thus lowering themselves to his level and saying 'How does it feel to be humiliated, just like we were by your kneejerk reaction two and a half years ago, you contemptible, corrupt, pus-ridden, maggot-laden, testicularly-challenged, scarecrow-like, closet cumgargling, News Ltd stooge?'

Or words to that effect.

Imagine ... Manly winning the premiership against Melbourne so the crowd will be a predominantly Manly crowd. 80000 people in Maroon and white to loudly boo as Gallop makes his speech after the game and the booing can continue for the poor excuse of a Prime Minister that this country has. Then last of all we get to boo Cam Smiths runners up speech.

Phantar said:
The opportunity to brush Gallop by refusing to shake his hand. Thus lowering themselves to his level and saying 'How does it feel to be humiliated, just like we were by your kneejerk reaction two and a half years ago, you contemptible, corrupt, pus-ridden, maggot-laden, testicularly-challenged, scarecrow-like, closet cumgargling, News Ltd stooge?'

Or words to that effect.

That may be a tad too subtle Phantar

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4