What is God?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

fLIP

UFO Hunter
Im not trying to start another 5000 page thread here (although this topic is beyond anyones control), I would like to know, if God is in fact real, what do you believe it is and what is its purpose?

This is not a debate on whether there is a God, but rather, if it existed, what would you believe it would be?

God is a "supernatural" being used to answer questions that we don't currently have an answer for and fulfill a need for closure in some peoples lives without evidence. A self convinced gap filler, with the power to be unquestioned by all because "It's holy".

A being invented by man. A sadistic twisted killer, with the power to save but without the will to do it!

Like the depiction on South Park- a ugly rat like creature.
Or maybe God is a woman???
Speaking of religion- anyone see the show on SBS last night (I think it was SBS) about this statue in a part of the Vatican you aren't allowed into of a woman who apparently slept with the Pope- they had re cap of events back then and it looked like they were insinuating the Pope involved himself in a few orgies.....

cliffy2.jpg

God

The parallels drawn between cartman when he becomes "god" of the sea monkeys and god are amusing too

yep Dan I thought that was pretty funny as well- Cartman makes that show- just as Randy makes My Name is Earl.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YA9sFkYZSk8"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YA9sFkYZSk8" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Dan, he seems to be arguing the 'Bibles' definition of 'God'.

I would rather see him mount a credible case against the existence of 'a' god. With the definition being unknown.

Dan, he seems to be arguing the 'Bibles' definition of 'God'.

I would rather see him mount a credible case against the existence of 'a' god. With the definition being unknown.

If you read the entire book not just that one simple chapter he argues against all god's as a supernatural being. That was just one example of how eloquently he presents a case.

Really unless you have read the entire chapter (and indeed the end part he has left out tells this story) He argues about them all.

The 3 main religions of today are descended from a mythical ancestor "Abraham" and hence even arguing against the biblical god is the same as arguing against a god at all.

Without reading the book or having correct understanding of atheism in general it is somewhat pointless discussing it, simply because you do not know his argument and therefore are arguing against a distant point that you have made up not that is in fact there.

The argument presented by matabele and CW last week said that the god he is against is the same they are against is actually somethin ironically discussed in the book and shows Dawkins as the intellectual he is.

He, nor am I are discussing the "Sky god" with the white beard. It is the belief in a supernatural being!

Than why use extracts form the bible?

fLIp honestly you are going to get me fired up.

THAT WAS ONE 2 PAGE SNIPPET FROM 1 CHAPTER OF A 500+ PAGE BOOK!

Dude im just trying to figure out what he's on about.

BTW, if I was disagreeing with you, it would do no good to get angry over it.

It just frustrates me when i have to repeat myself in less eloquent terms to get the point across

In that section he is describing the ludicrousy of the Holy trinity and the circular argument that goes with it, without question and the lack of lucidity into the question.

It just frustrates me when i have to repeat myself in less eloquent terms to get the point across

I was under the impression that he was trying to debunk Christianity.

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4