WHAT I SAID IN 2005

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Matabele

Journey Man
I’m astounded at the push on some of the other web-sites to have Monaghan retained by the club, with some even suggesting that Max Delmege should be bought in to operate the club at the expense of current management.

This comes on a day when I had the privilege of sitting in the Manly Board Room with the incoming CEO, Pat Wilson. I found him to be an articulate man of intelligence and strategy, with the ability to drive a hard bargain.

I was there to discuss a business proposal. Let’s just say that I left shaking my head at how he had managed to put every imaginable test in our path, to the benefit of the Manly club. My admiration him is high, for there is nothing that gains the respect of a businessman more than a worthy protagonist (not that we’re opponents in this situation).

Consider this. The current management took over a club that was on the precipe of disaster. Less than two years later we have at least five marque players on our books and a shot at a place in the Final Eight. Examine that process and you will find that this has mostly arisen from the foresight, hard work and diligence of the current management and coaching staff.

Which brings us to the matter of Michael Monaghan. A straw poll of 9 clubs last night revealed none of them with a particular desire to have them on their books. Even perennial cellar dwellers, Souths, only want him if Manly pay a large part of his salary for the next three years.

Was it incompetent management that bought us into this situation? Or something else?

A few weeks ago I was widely pilloried for revealing that the club had no desire to retain Monaghan earlier this year. However, the sane and rational judgement of management (a judgement backed up by most “experts” in the form of media commentators) was overruled when a small rump of fans began a vocal and strident campaign to have him re-instated, a campaign that bought about the intervention of Max Delmege.

Consider this. Since the re-signing of Michael Monaghan he has done naught but confirm the original judgement of management. His reputation as a flat track bully has only been enhanced as we have fallen to six losses in seven games against quality opposition with the parlous level of our play-making being badly exposed. We have been impotent in attack – something the “playmaker” must take full responsibility for.

Secondly we have been greeted to the spectre of a club captain fighting an open media war with club management. This is not as appropriate as many are trying to make out.

Monaghan is one of several club captains on the outer with their clubs this year. Yet where are the cries of disloyalty from the likes of Mark O’Neill and Robbie Kearns? Why aren’t they trying to jeopardise the future prospects of their club. It’s called loyalty, and when it comes to the Monaghan family, it seems to be in short supply.

Which brings me to the following quote from the official club forum:

“I believe the time has come for Max Delmage (sic), the clubs majority owner and saviour to come in and run the club, put people that know how to conduct a business professionally into the club so as we are not the laughing stock of the nrl (sic). Max has a huge investment in this club and he has made it clear he does not want to interrupt or interfere with the clubs business but I believe the time has come for max to step up and take control of this shambolic disgraceful situation (sic).”

If anything is shambolic or disgraceful it is the situation whereby a silent equity partner and board member forgets that their role is policy, and starts to intervene in day to day management.

Furthermore, Max Delmege, whilst successful in property development in recent years (though this has not always been the case) is not a foot balling expert. The opinion of the experts was over ridden in the case of Monaghan and the situation we have now is the result. Had this intervention not happened, no-one would be complaining right now!

Monaghan would probably have a contract with another club (albeit an English one given the lack of interest in his services at the going price in the NRL) and would be more settled on the field in trying to guide us to a much needed finals place. Orford would be with us alongside some significant depth in outside backs and forwards, secured with the $720,000 currently being tied up by Monaghan!

I have no desire to minimize the significance of the cash injection provided by Delmege last year. It was a welcome show of faith in the club AND its management.

Our Executive knows exactly how to run a football club and have the runs on the board. The problems only show up when matter have been taken out of their hands.

I think it’s time that ALL Manly fans show some faith in their Executive and give them the time, space and opportunity to do the things that are hard necessities if we are to again taste the fruits of Premiership success.

The foolish alternatives suggested above are a little bit like suggesting that Microsoft be surrendered to anyone with a Playstation, and run by committee.

Well , Fans make rash decisions based on Passion while good managemant make decisions based on business and the future of a business.

I think the majority of fans see that Monas is not really needed however they will still support him as he is at the club, I have no issue with this. I am one of them. Although there are a few that dont fit this category and think he is the heart and soul of the club.

I would be happy for the club to find another club willing to pay 60% of his salary and we pay the rest for 1 year. Surely someone would pay $140k?????

I think the majority of fans see that Monas is not really needed however they will still support him as he is at the club, I have no issue with this. I am one of them. Although there are a few that dont fit this category and think he is the heart and soul of the club.

I would be happy for the club to find another club willing to pay 60% of his salary and we pay the rest for 1 year. Surely someone would pay $140k?????

and am I.

This is what i know from 2005.

I went for a trip down to sydney to watch a manly game with 4 or 5 other blokes. One of the blokes worked with Dennis Moore for about 8 years before Dennis left the job and went to coach the QLD under 17's and then being spotted and picked up at Manly. The bloke i went with that knows Dennis gave him a call before we went and arranged to meet us so they could catch up and we could meet him etc. He allowed us access into the sheds etc. It was an awesome day.
After the game, in the sheds we were chatting away to Dennis and i asked him about Orford he said to me "Yeah, we look like we'll get ox" so i said what will happen with Monaghan.. he said "We aren't sure where he will play but he could make a decent hooker and would be good depth around the halves area.. but we want to get the ox here for a bit more class and we want someone with a better kicking game"

At no time did he make it appear the club wanted to get rid of him. He said they had some trouble with the negotiating process but all in all thy liked the bloke and thought he can play.

Mata, are you just putting this up to remind us how miss guided you are?

To think that you once contributed.

BTW do you want a copy of that Touring the Angel CD? They are all the same so don't waste your money getting one.

[quote author=byso]

BTW do you want a copy of that Touring the Angel CD? They are all the same so don't waste your money getting one.

[/quote]

You bought one of those official bootlegs? Surely they aren't all the same.

[quote author=Matabele]
[quote author=byso]

[/quote]

You bought one of those official bootlegs? Surely they aren't all the same.
[/quote]

They playlist is virtually idenitcal for each one and the CD I bought is very similar to the DVD. So yeah .........

I'll get around to writing Part Two - the Exodus in the next few weeks I reckon.

Manly Backer is the hero of that episode.

Whats Monaghans salary? Does anyone know?

I want to know what Monas did to Matabele.. that story is more interesting than this post of his.

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4