What has ST become?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

frank stokes

I discriminate indiscriminately
The first page of the rugby league forum has threads titled “Matt Lodge”, “Michael Ennis” and “Curtis Scott”…. and then you have the thread hoping Luke Brooks is the answer to our woes…

Three of those infamous “stars” are at our club already and the fourth is suggested as a recruitment option…

Two years ago you would have been ostracised from the forum for suggesting it would come to this… 🥲

The first page of the rugby league forum has threads titled “Matt Lodge”, “Michael Ennis” and “Curtis Scott”…. and then you have the thread hoping Luke Brooks is the answer to our woes…

Three of those infamous “stars” are at our club already and the fourth is suggested as a recruitment option…

Two years ago you would have been ostracised from the forum for suggesting it would come to this… 🥲
Yep, Like an episode from...Stranger Things..

As an entire fanbase, we have become a reflection of the on field team in my view, and I'll leave it at that.

Always is a requirement for any N R L club to have or consider their share of fringe players or prospects to balance a cap arrangement .
Requirement after that is to try to get the best out of these type of squad members as someone like Bellemy still seems quite adept at doing .
Maybe less of an emphasis on only part time coaching assistants .
Manly managed quite well or did it better then most during a good part of that successful period of say 2007 - 13 in getting fringe players to improve and perform above expectations .
Can happen again one would expect , just have to have all of the right ingredients in place

I feel like we are just in that 2005-2006 era again, cobbling together what we need to compete. The forum really hasn't changed that much.

We've had our share of duds and has-beens from those times until now. Like it or loathe it we have a very significant chunk of our cap tied up in 4-5 players. We need to make up the value somewhere. Until we have a sugar daddy who takes the squad golfing and makes highly questionable bets for even more questionable sums of money, we need to work with who we can actually afford.

Well that's why they invented fishing and cricket and sex. Find something from that list of slightly less important things to ease your mind grasshopper.

The offseason does funny things to people.

Sure these names might not be 'Manly' right now and you can over analyse until you tap a hole in your iPhone, but Jamie Lyon was once a bloke who liked to chase pigs more than play for Brian Smith, Matt Orford was the halfback for the Storm, Josh Perry - some plodder that Joey made look good, sovereign citizen Brent Kite? Well before jobbing Michael Crocker and winning a CC Medal he was a big lump for the dragons who we weren't sure was a centre, a second rower, a wannabe frontrower or a myth.

What I am ever so clumsily trying to convey is that success imparts a rose coloured hue, and those we now consider the fabric and the pillars of the success that (in parallel with silvertail's genesis and existence) may be a little bit chicken and egg.

That's not taking away the points made that we are hiring our second only ever coach from without. That's something to lament and be proud of but to not look forward and change with the times would be self sabotage.

But with the long double tenures of Des and Bozo before him, and the laconic nature of the Stewart's and Lyon, leadership group (there's only really Balin and Monna's who might come back) Manly based coaches haven't had the chance to come through every two or three years.

Stranger things have happened…. If you told me in the 70s that 3 western suburbs players were coming to play for manly we would all be in disbelief!

Just sayin’

Actually scratch that, what am I saying, Foz will be a great Manly coach after Seibold has ten years of success and takes a retirement package at the helm of the Japanese rugby national team in a position abdicated by Eddie Jones. Seibs says 'after a run of nine straight finals appearances and six premierships in my tenure at Manly I am looking forward to this new and exciting chapter in my life, and reacquainting myself with the fifteen a side game with the world champion Japanese team. Eddie has laid a wonderful platform for me to....

Sometimes there is too much focus on individuals. It's more important how they gel as team. For example, what do these not big name players - Elliot, Parker, Suli, Waddell, Gosiewski, Keppie, Perrett - have in common?

They were members of the team that went close to beating Souths in the second semi final in 2019

1. Brendan Elliot 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Brad Parker 4. Moses Suli 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Dylan Walker 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. Martin Taupau 11. Corey Waddell 12. Jack Gosiewski 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Manase Fainu 15. Haumole Olakau'atu 16. Sean Keppie 17. Lloyd Perrett

18. Lachlan Croker 19. Tevita Funa 20. Toafofoa Sipley 21. Tony Williams

Last edited:
Well that's why they invented fishing and cricket and sex. Find something from that list of slightly less important things to ease your mind grasshopper.

The offseason does funny things to people.

Sure these names might not be 'Manly' right now and you can over analyse until you tap a hole in your iPhone, but Jamie Lyon was once a bloke who liked to chase pigs more than play for Brian Smith, Matt Orford was the halfback for the Storm, Josh Perry - some plodder that Joey made look good, sovereign citizen Brent Kite? Well before jobbing Michael Crocker and winning a CC Medal he was a big lump for the dragons who we weren't sure was a centre, a second rower, a wannabe frontrower or a myth.

What I am ever so clumsily trying to convey is that success imparts a rose coloured hue, and those we now consider the fabric and the pillars of the success that (in parallel with silvertail's genesis and existence) may be a little bit chicken and egg.

That's not taking away the points made that we are hiring our second only ever coach from without. That's something to lament and be proud of but to not look forward and change with the times would be self sabotage.

But with the long double tenures of Des and Bozo before him, and the laconic nature of the Stewart's and Lyon, leadership group (there's only really Balin and Monna's who might come back) Manly based coaches haven't had the chance to come through every two or three years.
This sums up the offseason....

Sometimes there is too much focus on individuals. It's more important how they gel as team. For example, what do these not big name players - Elliot, Parker, Suli, Waddell, Gosiewski, Keppie, Perrett - have in common?

They were members of the team that went close to beating Souths in the second semi final in 2019

1. Brendan Elliot 2. Jorge Taufua 3. Brad Parker 4. Moses Suli 5. Reuben Garrick 6. Dylan Walker 7. Daly Cherry-Evans 8. Addin Fonua-Blake 9. Apisai Koroisau 10. Martin Taupau 11. Corey Waddell 12. Jack Gosiewski 13. Jake Trbojevic 14. Manase Fainu 15. Haumole Olakau'atu 16. Sean Keppie 17. Lloyd Perrett

18. Lachlan Croker 19. Tevita Funa 20. Toafofoa Sipley 21. Tony Williams
Half glass full?

You know I honestly could not tell you where Elliott, Tafua, Funa, GoJetSki or Perrett are - which probably says something about their level… Turbo, DCE, AFB and Api are superstars to get that team close to winning anything…

Suli is as bad at StMerge as he was here, I believe Williams is retired, Tapau may as well be retired and Fainu quit the NRL and had a stab at something else…

Staff online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
7 6 1 54 14
6 5 1 59 12
7 5 2 36 12
8 5 2 39 11
8 5 3 64 10
6 4 2 53 10
8 4 4 73 8
7 4 3 24 8
7 3 4 17 8