What does Manly need?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Not Paul Kent

Reserve Grader
I’ve been looking at our list and wondering what we need to make the top 4/threaten for a premiership.

Looking for answers beyond, “nothing just play the kids”, so I’ll acknowledge you front, yes we have strong juniors, yes we should try and promote/retain them.

My question is what can we add beyond what we have already to lift another level? Our squad seems pretty strong across the park including solid depth. The only weakness I can really see is Parker - an upgraded replacement would improve us, but there’s no one all that compelling on the market.

In short, where do we need to improve and how do we do it?

I don’t think removing parker would be good for morale and on top of that certainly dont think attack is really our issue.

It’s more defence for mine, and we have a few players that can clock off like none other in that area. I think it’ll improve if our side + trbo can stay fit. But seems like our squad’s major flaw. While Schusters attack is always great, I will be cautious watching him defend for the next few weeks

Weaknesses at present are hooker, 1 centre and 1 winger, gordon wont be an immediate fix as he needs to play tandem with croker but will turn into our 80 minute hooker eventually. Parker whilst competent has limitations and errors in his game not too dissimilar to croker on both counts.Garrick will get a chance to show his wares there if injuries prevail to either centre.Myers has potential but isnt ready this year. Tuipulotu is poor in his defensive reads and isn't a finishing winger. Saab is at least 8 weeks away still so no short term fix but he is a quality finishing winger with pace but also can be poor defensively. The only other option is recruiting another centre/winger for next year/depth

An upgrade on Parker you say?So you want the best defensive centre in the comp to come to Manly?All well and good to ask what Manly need,but what you should be asking is what can Manly afford within the cap?You can’t have stars all over the park and fit them under the cap.A lot of the young players will require upgrades so to balance that out,the likes of Parker and Croker are a must to balance things out.GCKT will be good for Croker later in the year and beyond as his salary won’t be high until he shows his full ability.And imo Parker is one of the top 5-10 defensive centres in the game and is not going to demand anywhere near the coin others will.The issue in a few yrs to come will be halfback.Is the next no.7 going to be ready to step up in time for TomT to still be at his peak?

Definitely hooker. I know everyone loves LC but we won't win anything with him playing 9. I think with a real quality hooker we would see more out of our big middle. I think the addition of Kite in the forwards in the 2000's was brilliant. But we had MB there to steer the ship from the front. I really think a really good 9 would be massive. Also centre. Probably moreso than Kite, killer changed everything for this club.

Also, with young prospects getting impatient and leaving for money and a chance at FG with an inferior club like the Dragons I'd let them all go to free up some cash if it meant we would win a premiership or 2 In the next 2-3 years.

An upgrade on Parker you say?So you want the best defensive centre in the comp to come to Manly?All well and good to ask what Manly need,but what you should be asking is what can Manly afford within the cap?You can’t have stars all over the park and fit them under the cap.A lot of the young players will require upgrades so to balance that out,the likes of Parker and Croker are a must to balance things out.GCKT will be good for Croker later in the year and beyond as his salary won’t be high until he shows his full ability.And imo Parker is one of the top 5-10 defensive centres in the game and is not going to demand anywhere near the coin others will.The issue in a few yrs to come will be halfback.Is the next no.7 going to be ready to step up in time for TomT to still be at his peak?
Yep - as we saw last night we have "enough" points in us. The defence part is where Parker excels so we actually do need him. Helps he is probably only on 300-400k as well.

Yep - as we saw last night we have "enough" points in us. The defence part is where Parker excels so we actually do need him. Helps he is probably only on 300-400k as well.
That’s right.If you want TomT,Koula,Olakau’atu in the team or stay at the club,you need to sacrifice elsewhere.Centre isn’t as “important” as it used to be,given the way the game is played,but it is essential their defence is top notch and Parker is great and Koula is proving to be high quality in that area as well,despite the issues inside and out of him

Last edited:
It's an experienced forward that can settle this lot in clutch moments. Before June 30 silly season will happen all over again. The constant years in advance trading is a fn disgrace and a biggest blight on this game but for the roosters sombrero.

Froggy does a good job at hooker and plays to his strengths. What we really need is a dummy half that is able to know when to run and kick. I hope that we eventually get someone who can help Froggy in that role as that is a big weakness for us as is our right side defence that got exposes too many times last night. That is something that needs immediate addressing!

What does Manly need?

Its supporters to chill out and stop always looking for problems.

• We’re top of the table
  • The boys are playing well
  • They look like they’re genuinely loving each other again and put the drama of last year behind them
  • We’ve got strong leadership in the CEO and the club looks to be moving forward
  • Fans genuinely seem to be back and invested in the team. Highest membership numbers in forever and pulling decent crowds! 13K on a Thursday!?
  • We just beat Parramatta!!!

Are we perfect? Not even close, we have a fukload to work on. But let’s enjoy the last few weeks and get around the boys rather than trying to replace them every 3 days.

We probably don't need Sykes,he has been dropped to 18th man with Matterson,Dias and Stuckey promoted ahead of him in the reserves game tonight.

Hi all,
Long time Manly fan , first time poster.
What does Manly need?
Imo GCKT to start as 9. Croker as much as he tries hard, is really struggling as a 9.
Sign Wiremu Grieg for next season. He is off contract after 2023. This guy is Warea Hargreaves 2.0
Manly hasnt had any props making the kind of metres Fonua Blake made when he was here.
I still think Tui can retain his spot. I cant think of that many bad games hes had.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2