What do we want from Barrett? (Or any coach?)

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
If a coach can get all the players pulling in the same direction, and create a very tight knit group, I think more often than not, the team will be successful (see Parra this year under Arthur).

Our club looks like a bunch of individuals all pulling in different directions, wanting the money and limelight, but not willing to put in the work and dedication.

Jason King told me himself at a NAB function, that was what Des first goal was above all else - create a brotherhood.

I just don't see "team" in a lot of our players character.
Parra were able to bond so nicely as they were playing well because the team they had was over the cap. Then when it all started to unravel, it was bonding around a siege mentality. The real test for BA is after they lose and are mathematically eliminated, how they play. That will be interesting to watch and could be coming pretty soon.

Someone who understands what it means to bleed maroon and white. Outsiders don't understand.
In the NRL Manly is an island and to understand Manly you have to be an islander.
Nate Myles bleeds maroon and white. It's just not our maroon and white.

I could stomach last year because the cap, injuries, and age had decimated our ranks...it had nothing to do with Tooves. You don't forget how to coach and he was good enough to get us to the big dance in 2013. If he was on the nose with a couple of players then the club should have given them an ultimatum; follow the coach or find another club.

Toovey is the reason I supported Manly as a boy watching him play...I wanted success for him as a coach more than anything because he deserved it for stepping into the breach left by Hasler and for being a Manly man through and through.

Our club shat on him and it's a disgrace.

The ability to admit when he is wrong and learn from his mistakes. Signing Green and Brown was bad but playing them once they failed was worse. Yes we have had injuries but TB has compounded the issue in the backs and selected a different pack and starting forward combination every week. It is rookie stuff and cringeworthy to watch. Starling scores a try and gets dropped the following week. Could go on and on but he needs to improve quick smart. Saying terrific 15 times after a flogging is not appropriate either. Show some steel or be shown the door enough leading with emotional intelligence bs this is rugby league. Harden the actual up.

For me the issue is not the coach as much as an increase in member / fan engagement. Whilst there has been a definite improvement in the quality & quantity of the content from the club there has been an ever decreasing decline in the fan interaction.

Generally speaking the club seems to have ignored or forgotten what is relevant to fans now (apart from results that is)

Interesting some of the responses, it really seems to boil down to

A) passion and bleeding for manly
B) results

Whilst I guess that's obvious, whats more important? Now obviously these 2 things aren't mutually exclusive, but if it boiled down to one or the other. Lets assume beaver is given the top job tomorrow, and he's just rubbish. Pathetic coach, no idea, but he is the same person we all love, passionate and manly for ever. Then the other option is say Wayne Bennett, and he delivers a premiership first year and keeps us competitive for years, but doesn't give a toss about manly or the fans....your choice? And living up in the hunter valley we had Wayne here, and the disengagement with fans and the area was enormous. He alienated the media, the fans started to not care and they were 1 week off the gf. It was amazing, the area wasn't pumping like I thought it would. A lot of people are still blaming him for the Knights current situation as he just didn't get the club.

Gay coach hey. So he taught you to be gay yes. Not hat there is anything wrong with that.

What diocese where you in?

Playing for the Innisfail Leprechauns, always had the feeling the coach was after me lucky charms. Luckily the rainbow never landed on me. :whew:

I left after 3 games. Got into freestyle karate and took a job at the King Reef resort at Kurrimine Beach running the TAB/pokies and private bar. I was always too smart to make it in footy. LOL!! I tell myself that to make myself feel better when talking to blokes from here that have made it big in league. :envy:

Top of the list - passion for the club, players and fans. To cultivate the spirit of the Mighty Manly Sea Eagles and protect it at all costs.

And the following would also be good:

1. Find out what motivates the players and then be able to bring out their best. (This could partly be done by effective goal setting.)
2. Have a "team-first" approach.
3. Be strict but fare.
4. Know the game inside and out.
5. Work well under pressure.
6. Make no excuses for underperforming. But will say something when there is unfairness or inconsistency.
7. Be authentic, genuine and ethical.
8. Be motivated and disciplined.
9. Be a clear communicator.
10. Trustworthy.
11. Visionary thinker. Etc, etc.......................!

But hey at this stage even a few of the above points would be great to see.

I want a coach who can make the players accountable. There is no fear of losing the Manly jumper because Barrett talks in technical terms about why this team is crap at the moment, or talks about disappointing performances at a team level. It's not good enough, there is no individual responsibility.

Barrett is obviously a good bloke, but it is his curse. He is soft and the players now feel they can mail it in and not get called out. Look at the defensive structures in the Brisbane game - fractured fractured fractured - let me name a few lazy arse blokes myself - Vave, Leary, even Trobojevic. It's not good enough.

This team is on track to run 13th this year if nothing changes, with only the Tigers, Newcastle, and Eels (minus penalty) below them. Nothing will change until Barrett starts pointing at players and starts pointing out that the Manly jumper is not a right, it's a privledge, but at the end of the day I don't think he and his other Penrith buddy Cartwright understand that.

The Manly brand has lost it's prestige and is completely irrelevant. It took only ten weeks for all NRL fans to not notice us any more.

Last edited:
A coach who selects his team on form, correct positions & without favoritism! Clewless Brown, Blake Bleary...........WTF. I've supported everything that Barrett has done up until his selections for this weekend! AFB dropped to reggies..........& Bleary stays in? If AFB is injured then why is he named in NSW Cup? What's he done wrong? What will this do to AFB's confidence? One reason the Broncos, Cowboys, Sharks etc. are going well is because their team is basically the same every week barring injury, which gives them time to form good combinations & play as a team! Yes we've had injuries but this is becoming a boring excuse!

Last edited:
A coach who selects his team on form, correct positions & without favoritism! Clewless Brown, Blake Bleary...........WTF. I've supported everything that Barrett has done up until his selections for this weekend! AFB dropped to reggies..........& Bleary stays in? If AFB is injured then why is he named in NSW Cup? What's he done wrong? What will this do to AFB's confidence? One reason the Broncos, Cowboys, Sharks etc. are going well is because their team is basically the same every week barring injury, which gives them time to form good combinations & play as a team! Yes we've had injuries but this is becoming a boring excuse!
Unbelieve selections.....lets see how we go with no go forward until Vave & Lawrence come on ....Another slow start in the making .....

Lets see...how about a coach with some consistency in decision making? Myles remains in the starting side yet Fonua-Blake is dropped. A coach that puts players in their place and puts the team first? Walker is a Ferrari yet Barrett persists with him out of position. If Lyon cannot do what is best for the team and switch to 6, he can always go now. A coach who does not continually chop and change the side. Injuries are one thing but putting non impact players on the bench shows he is lost.

how about a coach that knows about the game today,fmd even crusty old bennett has got his head around todays game

Members online

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4