What changes to RL would you like?

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

The Who

Journey Man
In my humble opinion . . .
General:
1. There is too much ‘downtime’ before the start of the first grade match. I don’t want to see the two sides warm up for 30 minutes. They should do this elsewhere, so we fans see the teams for the first time when they run onto the field (as was traditional). The break between matches (Toyota Cup and first grade) discourages fans from turning up to watch the earlier game/s.
2. Bring back Reserve grade. I loved watching all three grades. Now we can’t see our ‘reserve grade’ unless we are on the Sunshine Coast.
3.  Enforce club colours on the away strip (in reverse, as Manly has). Why are the Broncos allowed to play in blue and white?

The rules:
1. Abolish video ref. It was introduced to make 100% accurate decisions. It doesn’t. We can understand refs making poor decisions, but can’t forgive bad video ref decisions. Video refs drag out the game needlessly (don’t forget that many of us are watching from a cold hill in winter!) Video refs can only rule on certain matters, leading to anomalies and frustration.
2. Adopt rugby’s short-arm penalties for every infringement other than foul play. This will encourage quick taps and dilute the impact of ‘soft’ penalties. It has revolutionized rugby as a spectacle.
3. Charge-down – no restart of tackles if regained by the kicking team. There should be a reward for charging down a kick
4. Reduce interchange to six. Why should semi-fit behemoths get away with 10-minute stints? RL is an endurance game.
5. Time-off when kicking for goal and when the ball is out of play – stops time wasting and the farce of rushing to a scrum when it suits

I like your rule changes but would tweak number 1 a bit.

Rather than abolishing the VR altogether, I think they should have 2 captain challenges per half (or 3 per game), which can be used for any call. For example, if the onfield ref says it was a strip, but Lyon (or King) is convinced they dropped it, then they should be able to challenge it using TV screens on the field for the onfield ref to have a look at. It would slow the game down less than the current rule and is, imo, a good balance between getting calls right/asking for a second opinion and just letting the game go on.

I agree with the bring back reserves and enforce away jerseys as team colours only like Manly and Roosters do.

My NRL changes are:

* Less night games – the game is unbeatable on a Sunday afternoon – of course television ratings mean its impossible to greatly change this – but we could easily move the 2nd Sat night game and Mon night to Sunday afternoons – for television purposes make Sundays 1x2pm, 2x3pm, 1x5pm – or when the Warriors are at home 1x12pm (2pm NZ), 1x2pm, 1x3pm, 1x5pm

* Monday night football – get rid of it – as a season ticket holder it’’s a dead atmosphere live – footy is about the weekend

* Golden point must be changed to golden try – its an infuriating joke that teams bust their guts for 80 mins + only to see a game decided by either a penalty or in most cases by a lucky chance at field goal – in many instances decided by the fluke of winning the coin toss and kicking one in the first set of 6 – how exciting would it be to see teams and individual stars trying everything to score a try in extra time – and what a fair and hugely exciting way to win a game – but if they can’t score a try a draw is the next fairest result

* The video ref must be there – as long as the decisions are quick - there is absolutely no way we can have a game decided by a wrong call – particularly in relation to getting the right decision on tries – this is not negotiable I am 100% for the video ref

* Sack Finch and half his personnel - make ex players judges - and make it mandatory that for try decisions there are two blokes in the video box - so it's not one guys dumb arse wrong decision - Harrigan is the best of them but even he showed one guy can make a dumb wrong call

* ANZ Stadium – I know there are a string of complex financial deals involved – but my god does it kill the game having teams based out there – Souths especially – its way too big a stadium for club games with nil atmosphere – there is nothing that compares to the fans love of the true suburban grounds – and given I’ve been going to Brookie since 1970 I am well placed to make that comment

* Get Brookie into the 21st century - it must be rebuilt to resemble a Gosford style of stadium - and now

* I doubt anyone has noticed any effect of the interchange going from 12 to 10 – let’s knock it back to 8 - and only 4 per half – ie. non accumulative – total maximum of 4 in each half – the attrition factor is hugely important and should be a big part of the game giving both the fitter guys and the little guys time to shine instead of promoting the 20 minute/game player (of course anything is better than the embarrassment of Rugby Yawnion when 27 reserves come on after an hour or so)

* Scrums – leave them exactly as they are – sure it would be fun to see a contested scrum – but we’d have 100 penalties (and arguments) every game – the very reason we changed the rule was to get on with it fast – and fans love seeing backlines stretched out from a scrum – Manly v Norths back in the 90’s at Bear Park – Manly scrum on their 20 – Toovs to the genius Cliffy who spins it out the backline to Hoppa on the wing who runs the length of the field to score – crowd go nuts - if you kill scrums that will never happen

* The fact that every game is on tv in the Foxtel age means that we have to get more people to the game – and the only way to do it is make it affordable – drop the price – make it a standard $20 for any game at any ground – and free for under 10’s – this would allow families with multiple kids to be able to afford a day at the footy – and not just every now and then but week in and week out – the more you see games live the more you want to go again – lets re build the tribes of fans – and aim for 20,000 per game minimum

* Maximum of 3 per tackle – its not a big change – but personally I think 4 in a tackle is a joke – we want to promote running football not running tanks of defence

* I admit I am not sure about this one so I have to put it last – but we all know the fact teams don’t actually play each other twice is an embarrassing joke – so if we do need to strip it back to a 14 team comp – and in the process saving the future of some struggling Sydney clubs – here’s my comp:
1. Nth Qld
2. Brisbane
3. Gold Coast
4. Newcastle
5. Central Coast Sharks (barely need to change the jersey or the beach culture)
6. Manly
7. Sydney City Rabbitohs (one inner city club playing at the SFS in red, green, and blue would work once the ego’s allow it)
8. Parramatta Panthers (in black and yellow)
9. Western Tigers
10. Canterbury Bulldogs
11. St. George Illawarra
12. Canberra
13. Melbourne
14. NZ Warriors.

- Bring back reserve grade
- Go back to one ref
- Video ref only gets 3 looks plus one slow motion (If they can't decide from there, then it is benefit of the doubt)
- Put an ex-player in the box with the video ref to help make the decision
- Day-time grand final. Dusk is ok but arvo is better
- Independent Commission....NOW
- 8 interchanges only
- Touch judges enforce the 10m and call out offside

Hate to say this but there are usually 3 or 4 people in the video ref box, they all debate the decision and all get it wrong too many times.  That could be the problem, they can all blame each other in their minds.  Maybe if it was just one video ref by himself it may make him be a little more accountable.

Just on the Sydney City Rabbitohs, would never, ever work. It would be worse than our debacle with Norths, the hatred between those clubs over 100 years is far too deep for them to get together

Banish News Limited from any involvement whatsoever in the administration of the game or any clubs.

Then the rest of the issues will sort themselves out.

eagle-rock08 link said:
As I stated earlier the restart after penalty kicks to be taken from own 20 metre line not half way.
Sorry, but I don;t like this idea; it will encourage more teams to kick for goal rather than go for a try, imposes an even bigger penalty on a referee's decision, which in many times is wrong to start with.

Barry from memory the 'blue and white' broncos jersey is a throw back to old Brisbane rep jersey's.

Also don't be surprised in the future if they do a "combined Brisbane jersey " as well so maybe a 'red and white' jersey for heritage round

Kiwi Eagle link said:
Just on the Sydney City Rabbitohs, would never, ever work. It would be worse than our debacle with Norths, the hatred between those clubs over 100 years is far too deep for them to get together

100% agree

A Full draw for the entire season before rd 1.  Commission to decide which tv station gets what game.

Get rid of MNF

1. 8 interchanges.
2. trainers only on the field at stopages in play or injuries
3. no golden point during regular season, only use it at finals time when a result is needed. I never understood why they introduced it in the first place when a draw is a fair enough result.
4. 6 again or a tap on the spot for certain penalties....like if markers arent square or something 50 - 50 like that the ref can just yell "6 again markers not square" etc and play can just continue.......some penalties just arent worth losing 40 metres over.
5. 5 minute sin bin rule back. With the ref to chose 5 or 10 depending on what happened.
6. im happy with 2 refs.....BUT second ref to ONLY watch the ruck....doesnt even have a whistle. All his job is to watch the ruck like the in goal ref only made calls for in goal decisions pre- video ref. He's just there to get a close up look at whats going on in the play the ball and pass on info to the main ref.

I got plenty more!

Just take it back to how it used to be before the piece of **** News Ltd and the ****en inbred Donkeys up North took the game hostage.People seem to forget that it was the Qlders who instigated this whole mess.Ask Wayne Bennet,Ribot,the deceased Porky Morgan and company.
The Grand Super league plan is and was an embarrasment to News Ltd. No wonder they want out 12 years early.They just ****ed everything for a decade and a half. The Qlders wanted control of rugby league.They got it.And now look at the ****fight were in.I could go on forever.

Golden Point should be changed to ONE POINT for the losing side and TWO POINTS for the ultimate winner.

IMO, drawing at 80 minutes is worth at least one point

Barry Hyland link said:
In my humble opinion . . .
General:
1. There is too much ‘downtime’ before the start of the first grade match. I don’t want to see the two sides warm up for 30 minutes. They should do this elsewhere, so we fans see the teams for the first time when they run onto the field (as was traditional). The break between matches (Toyota Cup and first grade) discourages fans from turning up to watch the earlier game/s.
2. Bring back Reserve grade. I loved watching all three grades. Now we can’t see our ‘reserve grade’ unless we are on the Sunshine Coast.
3.  Enforce club colours on the away strip (in reverse, as Manly has). Why are the Broncos allowed to play in blue and white?

The rules:
1. Abolish video ref. It was introduced to make 100% accurate decisions. It doesn’t. We can understand refs making poor decisions, but can’t forgive bad video ref decisions. Video refs drag out the game needlessly (don’t forget that many of us are watching from a cold hill in winter!) Video refs can only rule on certain matters, leading to anomalies and frustration.
2. Adopt rugby’s short-arm penalties for every infringement other than foul play. This will encourage quick taps and dilute the impact of ‘soft’ penalties. It has revolutionized rugby as a spectacle.
3. Charge-down – no restart of tackles if regained by the kicking team. There should be a reward for charging down a kick
4. Reduce interchange to six. Why should semi-fit behemoths get away with 10-minute stints? RL is an endurance game.
5. Time-off when kicking for goal and when the ball is out of play – stops time wasting and the farce of rushing to a scrum when it suits
Don't be too humble, they are pretty good ideas.

lismore_fan link said:
Golden Point should be changed to ONE POINT for the losing side and TWO POINTS for the ultimate winner.

IMO, drawing at 80 minutes is worth at least one point

That makes their game worth 3 points though only 2 if you win outright, if you did what you are suggesting you would have to increase a win to 3 points.
What is wrong with a draw during the regular season anyway, teams split the points, seems fair to me.

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6
6 3 3 -13 6