Well that was interesting

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

Chip and Chase

True Supporter
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
Tipping Member
I must admit that I was a bit nervous about the game tonight but didn't expect a 44-6 flogging to be dished up. Obviously it's not the end of the world, but it does give an indication of our depth, or lack of it. It also shows how much we rely on Kennedy and Menzies, they really are the glue that has been holding the side together. Maybe it's the self belief they instill in those around them, or their ability to lead by example. Whatever it is, we lacked it tonight.

Souths owned us up the middle tonight, they made easy metres every set. Couple this with our stunning ability to turn over the ball and give away stupid penalties, and we cruelled any chance of getting back into the game. I don't know what the final possession balance was, but I'd imagine it was around 60-40 to them. Too hard to win games with that little possession and completions. We'll bounce back once we get some frontline troops back on deck .

A few observations starting at the back and working forward.

* Stewart, Donald and Hicks were quiet. Their combined efforts under the high ball could do with some work. Hicks hasn't really risen to the levels he reached last year.

* Alberts showed some promise and looks like he can offer something in attack. His defence was solid enough, although has a tendency to go low in tackles which still allows an offload. I think he missed a couple of tackles tonight but no more than others. My question is why are we sitting on this guy in PL. Give him another shot, IMO he has shown more potential than both Steppa and Mattai. I don't care about left/right positions, if you are playing NRL you should be able to defend on both sides and pass both ways. Just get him in there and give him another run, at least he looked like he was going to break the line, and wasn't afraid of having a go. Stick with him.

* Well it's amazing what a contract signing will do for your form. From MOM to headless chook. Really disappointed with Monas' contribution tonight, and I'm not talking about his playmaking (which by the way is still below par IMO). We had a distinct lack of experienced players out there tonight, so I really felt that our Captain needed to stand up and lead from the front and rally the young guys. Didn't happen. Our best player was probably Willo, which in itself is an embarrassment. I think the forwards lacked the leadership of BK and Beaver, and Monas should have filled the role. Sh*t I can't resist .......... his passing game is tripe and he just crumbles when put under pressure. I really, really, really hope that we have a Plan B and that he will be hooker next year, otherwise all his talk about Premierships is just hot air. I know some people have faith but I just can't see it. I hope I'm proven wrong for our sake.

* Watmough. On that performance, Ricky Stuart can justify his decision to drop him from SOO.

* Harris tried hard but just comes up with errors at the wrong time. Frustrating because he is showing glimpses, just needs to respect the pill a bit more and work on ball security.

* King. Well didn't he just set the tone with his first hit up. And didn't he make Logan quiver in his boots. Fair dinkum when is this guy going to put in. We have 4 or 5 props out and he puts in another third rate effort.

* Curtis. Was he getting paid per penalty conceded ? Thanks for trying but enjoy the early start next week mate.

Bring on the Knights !!!!!!!!!!!!

Under the high ball?

I only saw one bounce under the high ball they took all the rest.

The low grubbber kicks is what killed us because the forwards dived for them, knocking them on or puting them back in the arms of the Rabbitohs

Witt looked ok to me, he tried to show some leadership out there but there was no cohesion and they looked like they were missig leadership. We really missed veterans out there

chip and chase , good read ,i watched the replay yesterday and i think it is obvious that monas leadership aspect evryone barks about is ****, its shows that the true leadership is coming from menzies and more so kennedy who should really be the captain.i am not going to discuss monas individual performance because all we will get is the forwards didnt go forward gag which carries weight but doesnt explain everything.but good post chip

Lack of comment for any particular player was not intended as an endorsement of their contribution, including Witt. I think it is safe to say that none of the players on Saturday can be happy with their performance, except for Willo who tried hard as usaul without being spectacular.

As for the high ball issue, I wasn't just referring to Saturdays game. There has been an alarming trend developing at the back, where we look shakey under bombs. Especially cross kicks to Donalds wing, it seems to reap quite a few rewards.

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
4 3 1 28 6
3 2 1 10 6
4 2 2 39 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4
3 1 2 0 2