Well played Souths

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.

NYEagle

Bencher
No complaints here. Won fair and square. Matai no try was fair enough.

I don't think Manly played their whole hand here, and Souths played very well in defense. I also think there is plenty of material for Toovs to look at to try and find a way to beat these top teams. Both the Roosters and Souths have incredible line speed, as do Canterbury that stifles the time Manly has to create structure in attack.

When you look at Souths and the Roosters these guys have incredibly fast and tall fowards (Luke Burgess in particular) who just pound away at speed. Melbourne and Manly are more old school with the passing and kicking plays. It will be a very interesting finals series.

As long as Manly lock in 4th its all good.

Finally, Souths played the dew better.

No premiership has been won in August. On to next week!.

NYEagle

The boys looked truly gutted in the dressing rooms. They will smart over this and learn from it. This aint the finals. That's good news.

Still sucks though. They did play well. Could we have played better? Besides fewer penalties, I don't we could have done anymore. Just hope that is enough.

I think that Matai no try by that dick head ref was the turning point in the game and the penalty count was costly . Tonight we showed we can beat the rabbitts .

We looked more dangerous than Souffs with ball in hand, but were starved of it in the second half. If we have a weakness it is defending the bomb. Souffs first and third tries were almost impossible to stop, I must admit. I wish we had have tried such kicks. I didn't think Foran was as dominant as we had hoped. Also, I'm sure we could improve our scoots from dummy half.
But, not too gutted. There is still plenty of hope.
Can't wait for the Storm match at Brookie in a couple of weeks.

The Storm game at Brookie is not going to tell us much, we need something extra in attack for the semis something more than what has been offered all year.

Might be a chance for both teams to rest players the Canberra game is important now.

There were just a couple of small 2nd half incidents of lack of discipline with the ball : one was where we made a poor grubber kick toward their in goal, and it was easily fielded by Reynolds i think,

the other was where Horo knocked on, from a Lyon pass, seemed to just throw the ball to Souths. kind of like the ball was greasy.

Also Horo, didnt pass to Snake when he was headed for the line, but he was well wrapped up. But we have forwards with the tendency of dying with the ball and they seem unable to get the ball away against really good defence.

All credit to Souths, they were better than i expected. We were good, but had little ball in the 2nd half.

Technical Coach said:
The Storm game at Brookie is not going to tell us much, we need something extra in attack for the semis something more than what has been offered all year.

Might be a chance for both teams to rest players the Canberra game is important now.

We can still miss the top four if the Dogs win all their four matches and we lose two of the next three. Only rest players when we can't miss the four.

jbb/james said:
the reynolds drop kick was a deliberate ploy and changed the game. Gotta pay that s**t

Manly were the better side for 50 minutes but Reynolds and Luke grinded away at Manly and wore them down.

The Who said:
Technical Coach said:

We can still miss the top four if the Dogs win all their four matches and we lose two of the next three. Only rest players when we can't miss the four.

I agree just saying it might not be the game we all expect now. On top of that I don't fear Melb as we know them so well and know what to expect, I worry about teams that have size/mobility and sharpness in huge amounts.

Yeah, Reynolds was great. But the ruling on the Matai try (which was clearly a try) killed us. We were stuffed as soon as the ref sent it "upstairs" with a "no try" ruling. If he'd said, "I have a try, there is no way on earth it would have been taken off us. The system is flawed, pure and simple.

Ron E. Gibbs said:
Yeah, Reynolds was great. But the ruling on the Matai try (which was clearly a try) killed us. We were stuffed as soon as the ref sent it "upstairs" with a "no try" ruling. If he'd said, "I have a try, there is no way on earth it would have been taken off us. The system is flawed, pure and simple.

I hate the system as it is. If you think it is no try...why send it upstairs??? Why can't they just say, "I have no idea, can you have a look for me?".

Frustrating game to watch.

Can't help but wonder how that would have played out with different Reffs.

Jeff Lima's Leg twist was a low point.....Greg Inglis playing dead was lower still.
I'm an impartial here , after the leg twist I started cheering on Manly , Inglis Milking it with Horo confirmed I'd picked the better team.

The defence by Manly in the first half was amazing , lets say it was Manly's own fault they got penalised out of the game ...... in that case with even ball and eighty minutes of energy reserves to keep that offensive defence going , Souths couldn't have climbed back into that game.....that has to be a big positive.

We did outplay them for 50 minutes and then we had no ball.
The penalty count killed us again tonight and against a quality side like South's you can't expect to win.
We haven't beaten a top 4 side all year.

MT Smart said:

Jeff Lima's Leg twist was a low point.....Greg Inglis playing dead was lower still.
I'm an impartial here , after the leg twist I started cheering on Manly , Inglis Milking it with Horo confirmed I'd picked the better team.

The defence by Manly in the first half was amazing , lets say it was Manly's own fault they got penalised out of the game ...... in that case with even ball and eighty minutes of energy reserves to keep that offensive defence going , Souths couldn't have climbed back into that game.....that has to be a big positive.

Quality post Mt Smart.

Did you see Inglis wink at Horo as he played the ball after his academy award.

Jatz Crackers said:
MT Smart said:

Quality post Mt Smart.

Did you see Inglis wink at Horo as he played the ball after his academy award.

He actually says to Horo " Your sweet " after he's put on report by the pinky .

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
5 4 1 23 10
5 4 1 14 10
6 4 2 48 8
6 4 2 28 8
5 3 2 25 8
5 3 2 14 8
6 3 2 38 7
6 3 2 21 7
6 3 3 37 6
6 3 3 16 6