Webcke steps down from Broncos

• We had an issue with background services between march 10th and 15th or there about. This meant the payment services were not linking to automatic upgrades. If you paid for premium membership and are still seeing ads please let me know and the email you used against PayPal and I cam manually verify and upgrade your account.
Former Origin and Test prop Shane Webcke has resigned from his role as an assistant coach with the Brisbane Broncos.

The decision comes in the wake of the controversy surrounding his new book, Hard Road: Tough Thoughts on a Tough Game, which is critical of Brisbane players for their part in the Alhambra Lounge sex scandal and the club's handling of the issue.

In a chapter titled Broncos Behaving Badly he says that Brisbane stars Karmichael Hunt, Sam Thaiday and Darius Boyd should have been stood down by the club last season after allegations a woman had been sexually assaulted in a toilet cubicle.

In the book, he described the incident as "bloody awful" and "the biggest drama we have confronted in my time at the club." 

The players denied any wrongdoing and no charges were laid against any Brisbane player after a lengthy police investigation but Hunt, Boyd and Thaiday each received $20,000 fines for breaching the club's code of conduct.

"It is with sincere regret that I today resign from the position of assistant coach with the Brisbane Broncos," Webcke said in a statement.

"It is a position that I have cherished, however in light of my actions surrounding the publishing of my book and some of the content contained within, I feel it is inappropriate for me to retain the role.

"I have visited undue stress and attention on the playing and coaching staff at a time when all energies should be focused upon preparation for upcoming matches, rather than wasted on events of the past.

"I am truly sorry, and in acknowledging my distinct error in judgment, I feel the price I must pay is to relinquish the privilege that it is to work with the Broncos squad."

Webcke denied the club had forced him out the door, nor that he had faced a backlash from the players.

"In no way have the Broncos administration, coaching or playing staff pressured me into this decision, it has been of my own making. And given my recent public comments about suffering the consequences of our actions, I feel it would hypocritical of me in the extreme not to heed my own advice," he said.

"I will continue working for the Broncos on the corporate side of things and remain committed and loyal to the club. I remain an ardent supporter of the team itself and feel sure that 2009 will be again a winning season.

"My apologies to all Broncos supporters for dredging up events that should be consigned to history."

Now theres someone we could do with having around the club at the moment

Has made a massive blunder with this book though MB

If he couldn't back the words up and handle the fire, then he should have not bothered in the 1st place letting it get so far down the production line imo

Latest posts

Team P W L PD Pts
3 3 0 48 6
3 2 1 45 4
3 2 1 28 4
3 2 1 22 4
3 2 1 15 4
3 2 1 14 4
2 1 1 13 4
3 2 1 10 4
2 1 1 6 4
3 2 1 -3 4